Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Sep 28, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #6,916 of 7,509
Quote:

I'll play.  Here's my portable rigs.  No need for portable amp thanks to a digital amplification on my Sony NWZ-A867, Z1070, & X1060.  
biggrin.gif

Oh interesting. They have Class D amps?

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #6,917 of 7,509
Quote:
Oh interesting. They have Class D amps?

Their code name is "S-Master Pro MX", which is a derived & triggered down from Sony STR-DA9000ES.  Really good sound and significantly better than iPhone, iPod, Cowon, and Clip in a direct comparison.  The headphone out is so good that no amping is necessary on IEMs and easy to drive cans.

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #6,918 of 7,509
Quote:
Their code name is "S-Master Pro MX", which is a derived & triggered down from Sony STR-DA9000ES.  Really good sound and significantly better than iPhone, iPod, Cowon, and Clip in a direct comparison.  The headphone out is so good that no amping is necessary on IEMs and easy to drive cans.

Cowons are overrated because people fall in love with the BBE stuff, which can lead to a very unnatural sound if not used with caution.....without that stuff they're nothing special.
IMO 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #6,919 of 7,509
Quote:
Cowons are overrated because people fall in love with the BBE stuff, which can lead to a very unnatural sound if not used with caution.....without that stuff they're nothing special.
IMO 
very_evil_smiley.gif

And of course you're entitled to your wrong opinion :p 
beerchug.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #6,920 of 7,509
Quote:
IMO 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Bite your tongue mister...
tongue.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #6,922 of 7,509
Niiiice...personally I love my J3, and I have used it with and without an amp. I agree though, one false move with the equalizer and its a bloody mess.
Quote:
IMO 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #6,923 of 7,509
IMO :veryevil:

This is a correct opinion. Using anything more than a "touch" of BBE sounds overtly unnatural & mechanical. BBE is overrated, and Cowon's only ace in the hole. Their devices are now considered "Stone Age",... No innovation,...even their Android devices use different processors just to be different - leading to unnecessary incompatibility with the Play Store.

As for the J3, it's their last best player,...I loved it & only hated the inability to do playlists of the internal + external memory at the same time. And, I'm not willing to bend over backwards to get something like that to work - EQu & Equalizer on my iPod touch give me the sq I desire without the headache.

Cowon isn't all that,...and I've owned numerous Cowon devices. I'm a fanboi only with Sony, and even they piss me off to no avail!!! But, a Sony is like audio crack - me can't get enough!!! :)

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #6,924 of 7,509
^ It's funny that you're selling some of your "crack." The J3 is a good all-arounder, but I agree that the BBE can go awry if you don't know what you're doing. I prefer the sound of an RB'd 5.5 (a bit warmer to my ears) to the J3, but the smaller size and battery life are pretty sweet consolation prizes. The sound isn't bad; it's actually very good, just not earth-shattering imo. My fingers are crossed for the X3.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #6,925 of 7,509
^ It's funny that you're selling some of your "crack." The J3 is a good all-arounder, but I agree that the BBE can go awry if you don't know what you're doing. I prefer the sound of an RB'd 5.5 (a bit warmer to my ears) to the J3, but the smaller size and battery life are pretty sweet consolation prizes. The sound isn't bad; it's actually very good, just not earth-shattering imo. My fingers are crossed for the X3.

How is it funny I'm selling my Sony? I still have more Sony stuff, and I'm contemplating another Sony. Sounds amazingly reasonable,...:rolleyes:

And as for BBE, I also prefer a Rockboxed device to a Cowon. My clip+ and even iPod mini are preferred over a Cowon. SQ wise I like what RB can do, and quite easily at that (as long as you know what your doing). Cowon is, sadly at this point, overhyped.

Now, tbh, I'd love a Cowon X7 - because I was hoping playlists would be better with a large hdd. But, there's still issues, and the crap screen killed it for me. Plus, not enough hardware controls. I need the same controls as the J3 has. The X9 has the controls, but still a crappy screen & too low a capacity. Playlists are, as usual Cowon fare, a nightmare.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #6,927 of 7,509
Quote:
How is it funny I'm selling my Sony? I still have more Sony stuff, and I'm contemplating another Sony. Sounds amazingly reasonable,...
rolleyes.gif

And as for BBE, I also prefer a Rockboxed device to a Cowon. My clip+ and even iPod mini are preferred over a Cowon. SQ wise I like what RB can do, and quite easily at that (as long as you know what your doing). Cowon is, sadly at this point, overhyped.
Now, tbh, I'd love a Cowon X7 - because I was hoping playlists would be better with a large hdd. But, there's still issues, and the crap screen killed it for me. Plus, not enough hardware controls. I need the same controls as the J3 has. The X9 has the controls, but still a crappy screen & too low a capacity. Playlists are, as usual Cowon fare, a nightmare.

I can vouch for you brother, the Z1060 with the EX1000's is my goto rig, it powers them really well!, Not as good as the L3 (duh) but QUITE WELL. I have a Z2, I use it with ER4PT's, isnt hasn't been TOO impressive so far, but I'm still playing with it.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #6,929 of 7,509
Quote:

Whoever can name all the audio equipment in that pic gets a cookie!!
(and sorry for the crappy phone pic)

Shure SRH 940, iPod Classic, JDS Labs C421, Heir Audio 4Ai 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back