Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIV]
Jan 15, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #2,056 of 3,208

Quote:
Quote:
@11amaberry, 

Please refrain from making comparisons of equipment you've never used.  I own the NuForce Icon HDP (a $450 amp/DAC) and the Clip+ and the Clip+ is amazingly similar.  The Clip+ also sounds better than any iPod I've ever owned (iTouch, Classic, Video, Nano & Shuffle), better than any Sony I've ever owned, and about the same as my ESI Dr. DAC.  It's only been bested by my Cowon J3 and Icon HDP.

With Rockbox and some subtle EQ adjustments and the Clip+ is an amazing device with very few flaws.

Don't get sucked into the "$$$ = SQ" crowd.

Well said!
beerchug.gif

I agree
beerchug.gif

But Please refrain from calling the Ipod touch an I touch!
tongue.gif

Edit:
Hope to have some pics of my new (not high end) gear here soon.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #2,057 of 3,208
With the EQu app installed, the Touch 4G and the rockboxed Clip+  are so close in sound, there is no clear winner.....unless you factor cost into the equation, of course.
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #2,060 of 3,208

Quote:
With the EQu app installed, the Touch 4G and the rockboxed Clip+  are so close in sound, there is no clear winner.....unless you factor cost into the equation, of course.
wink.gif

i own a rockboxed clip+, and a EQu'd Ipod touch 4th gen, both of which i listen to music with several times a day. I have tried my darndest to make the eq settings as close to each other as possible on both players. I use almost all lossless files.  Though at the moment i dont have any stellar cans, (klipsch s4, sennheiser OMX980, and sennheiser px100) and i havent ever sat quietly and reeeeeeally tried to eek out a difference.

that said, i cant tell a difference between the two.  When i choose one over the other its always related to what im doing and what is more convenient or logical for the task at hand.  never about sound quality.

Though, I have never tried the line out with the Ipod so i cant comment on that.

Once I get my jh3a's i will try both the line out and the headphone out on the ipod, and the headphone out on the clip+... Then we'll see if there's a difference 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  muwaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha...

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #2,061 of 3,208

Quote:
Quote:
wink.gif

i own a rockboxed clip+, and a EQu'd Ipod touch 4th gen, both of which i listen to music with several times a day. I have tried my darndest to make the eq settings as close to each other as possible on both players. I use almost all lossless files.  Though at the moment i dont have any stellar cans, (klipsch s4, sennheiser OMX980, and sennheiser px100) and i havent ever sat quietly and reeeeeeally tried to eek out a difference.

that said, i cant tell a difference between the two.  When i choose one over the other its always related to what im doing and what is more convenient or logical for the task at hand.  never about sound quality.

Though, I have never tried the line out with the Ipod so i cant comment on that.

Once I get my jh3a's i will try both the line out and the headphone out on the ipod, and the headphone out on the clip+... Then we'll see if there's a difference 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  muwaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha...

I've only used the headphone out of the Touch.....even if I got an LOD cable, the only amp I have on hand is an old PA2V2, so I don't know if that would be an improvement over the HO or not.

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #2,062 of 3,208
I've never heard the Clip or any version of it, but I do own the uDAC. IMO, while it may cut out some computer noise, it's not much more than a glorified external volume control. From what I've read around the forum, when I order the uDAC 2 upgrade, things may be better.

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #2,064 of 3,208

Quote:
I was asking because, IMO the uDac is very middle of the line. It is just a DAC. Nothing more. Not a good one. Not a great one. Just meh.

Quote:
I disagree. My onboard audio sounded TERRIBLE. My uDac was my biggest upgrade ever.

It seems like it's contradicting each other.

Anyway the clip+ is flatter but not quite as good as the uDAC imo.

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #2,066 of 3,208

Quote:
Quote:
I was asking because, IMO the uDac is very middle of the line. It is just a DAC. Nothing more. Not a good one. Not a great one. Just meh.

Quote:
I disagree. My onboard audio sounded TERRIBLE. My uDac was my biggest upgrade ever.

It seems like it's contradicting each other.

Anyway the clip+ is flatter but not quite as good as the uDAC imo.

I'm assuming you mean that without EQ, it's flatter?

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #2,067 of 3,208
Yes the clip+ is much flatter without EQ on both. I do not find comparisons with EQ fair when one has it and one does not. The uDAC is colored in the bass and has a bit boost in the bass and in particular mid bass iirc. It has been a while since I owned the uDAC however.

It's not to say it isn't bad however. If I didn't already have a good transportable dac/amp I'd get the uDAC2 without blinking twice.

The difference depends on the phone. There is a slight difference (although a lot of the differences in head-fi are slight depending on what a big difference is) with easier to drive stuff but with things that require power the clip+ does have some issues. Although the clip+ doesn't really have that much power to go around so it really isn't the fault of the clip+ when the uDAC is powered by a usb port.

I never used the uDAC as a dac only however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back