Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIII]
Oct 3, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #3,376 of 5,950
I finally took the dive and went shopping today.
(1) Ipod Classic loaded only with only songs I REALLY like (1,800)
(2) Apple dock to make this my juke box on the home stereo
(3) At work the HK will be great in the office. After hours it will ROCK!
biggrin.gif

(4) Monster Turbines do sound great and will be convenient for cruising the showroom and not having to listen to commercial radio!!.
I am curious to compare to the Apple freebies and see if I can tell the difference.

Shane D

Oct 3, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #3,378 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered the Apple AirPort Express? -send your iTunes wirelessly to your receiver/DAC.

Wow, that is slick! But what is the transmitter? I get that the receiver is the plug-in module that you hook into a receiver in the living room. What sends the signal from your computer?
Do you buy a base that hooks into your DSL modem and then an airport express for each stereo?

Shane D

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #3,379 of 5,950
* Your computer, running iTunes, is the transmitter.
Set the output device within iTunes and it will stream wireless to the AirPort Express. Works like a charm.
smile.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #3,380 of 5,950
Set the output device within iTunes and it will stream wireless to the AirPort Express. Works like a charm.
smile.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #3,381 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It plays Black Sabbath's Live At Hammersmith Odeon gapless in OGG quite well. Gapless seems to be hit or miss so far, but it's better than my Zune 120 (firmware 3.2). Hopefully a Rockbox port will come out for it eventually.

How does the Clip+ sound with your UE customs? Soundstage seems to be a little narrow, but I'm wondering if it's just me. I really like it besides that.

Interesting, I tried only one Vorbis album (the mother of all gapless tests, DSOTM), encoded with aoTuV 5.5. It clicked between all tracks. I'm totally with you, I hope they fix it - especially since gapless is even mentioned in the manual.

And yes, seems the crosstalk is the same as most other DAPs out there with low impedance phones, something around ~40dB, which isn't great. I'll do a few RMAA tests on the Clip+ soon.

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #3,382 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, I tried only one Vorbis album (the mother of all gapless tests, DSOTM), encoded with aoTuV 5.5. It clicked between all tracks. I'm totally with you, I hope they fix it - especially since gapless is even mentioned in the manual.

It seems like manufacturers define gapless as "less gap" instead of "no gap." Seems like it would be a pretty easy fix with a flash player. Other than that, I like the firmware pretty well.

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #3,383 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smile.gif

Wow, so just buy an airport express and your rocking? $99.00 and you are done? Does it ever drop signals? That is a lot cheaper and more convenient than using a dock. How do you control your music to change songs?

Shane D

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #3,384 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, so just buy an airport express and your rocking? $99.00 and you are done? Does it ever drop signals? That is a lot cheaper and more convenient than using a dock. How do you control your music to change songs?

Shane D

Yes, pretty much. As long as you already have a wireless network for the AirPort Express to join.
The connection feels quite strong, although for me it drop connection once in a while when I am really stressing my network. Once or twice a day or so...

You change songs in iTunes, just like if you play on local speakers.

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #3,386 of 5,950
Quote:

And if you have an iPod touch you can use the free app Remote to use the touch as a remote control...very cool.
beerchug.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #3,387 of 5,950
It isnt that flawless though. There is lag between any operations you do (like playing a song or skipping to the next) and when you actually start hearing the changes you made. It becomes very annoying when you are like me and you like to skip through songs alot. The lag on my system is about 2 seconds wich is quite alot! Sometimes I even get 4sec lag.

Getting a netbook instead might actually be a better idea.

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #3,388 of 5,950
Quote:

Yes, pretty much. As long as you already have a wireless network for the AirPort Express to join.
The connection feels quite strong, although for me it drop connection once in a while when I am really stressing my network. Once or twice a day or so...

I don't have a wireless network in place now. If that is sending music to my amp in the living room, then I would have to go into the office to change songs? That seems kind of annoying although if you have lots of large playlists and you are just hitting shuffle it might work.

Shane D

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #3,390 of 5,950
my portables
zune120+ie8
ipod touch 2g 32gigs+ie8
very two excellent players sq and features wise
i wonder how much a lod could change the touch sq,i think sounds superb with no amp even better than my zune..is it really a big difference using an amp or just a small one?
dsc03453q.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back