Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Feb 4, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #1,501 of 3,551

A
Some of my kids' friends come over and see me playing records, and hear music flowing, and get a very quizzical look on their face, because they have never seen a turntable, and don't know what to make of it.  Sad.

But MY kids have grown up knowing what a TT is :)
I'm 18 and I have a vinyl rig of my very own. :beerchug:

And that gives me great hope for the universe!

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #1,502 of 3,551
I would love to hear some Motorhead or The Who on Vinyl, but a digital collection is much more convenient, especially considering that I have around 1850 albums and 15,500 songs.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #1,503 of 3,551
There is nothing mutually exclusive about them. I play music digitally much more often than vinyl, out of convenience. I prefer to listen to vinyl when I have time, but I own more music in digital format, by about 4 to 1.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #1,504 of 3,551

Quote:
There is nothing mutually exclusive about them. I play music digitally much more often than vinyl, out of convenience. I prefer to listen to vinyl when I have time, but I own more music in digital format, by about 4 to 1.

I also don't have the space needed for any more large audio equipment.  Even my Nuforce HDP doesn't really have too much breathing room.
Off topic, but is the kid in your default album wearing the PS1000s your son, or are you actually some child prodigy who happens to have ridiculously rich parents?

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #1,505 of 3,551
LMAO! Those are actually the Chroma MD1 I believe, but yes, that is my son. He's been to something like 6 meets. He likes coming with me to them, and it makes it much more fun for me!

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #1,506 of 3,551
One of my happiest musical memories was listening to the New George Harrison song, My Sweet Lord on my Cousins (much older cousin!) reel to reel at my Aunts house in Devon when I was around seven years old. I have had a soft spot for that song and reel to reel ever since!

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #1,507 of 3,551

Quote:
LMAO! Those are actually the Chroma MD1 I believe, but yes, that is my son. He's been to something like 6 meets. He likes coming with me to them, and it makes it much more fun for me!

You crazy kids and your modding.  I wish my parents would have brought me to awesome headphone meets.  Of course, I wouldn't settle for low grade headphones, but I would have loved the experience.

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #1,508 of 3,551

Quote:
jdandy,  I was curious why you would add the Gilmore Lite to the audio chain, as the McIntosh MCD500 has both multiple DACs and a headphones output stage?  A comparison would also be appreciated as I am considering the MCD500 for my system. Cheers.

Ridleyguy.......I have owned my HeadAmp Gilmore Lite headphone amplifier longer than I have owned my two McIntosh MCD500's, and I enjoy the clarity of the little Class A solid state amp.  The headphone amp in the MCD500 is very clean, and I have no complaints with respect to its performance, but I find the Gilmore Lite to be slightly more detailed in the upper midrange, as well as having a fuller texture to the weight of bass notes.  It isn't a dramatic difference, but when directly comparing the headphone output on the MCD500 to the Gilmore Lite, my ears seem happier with the Gilmore Lite's sound.

As for the overall performance of the McIntosh MCD500 CD/SACD player, it is nothing short of spectacular.  The dual quad ESS 24bit Sabre Reference DACs are astonishingly clean, very organic in the analog conversion, ultra dynamic, and non-fatiguing to listen to for hours.  I had my first MCD500 in the main system upstairs for less than 60 days before deciding to add another MCD500 to the studio system.  I feel certain you will be thrilled with the performance of the MCD500 in your sound system.  I also use the two digital inputs on the MCD500 for my Sonos ZP90, and the digital output from a McIntosh MS750 music server.  The ESS DACs are fantastic.

Dan

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #1,509 of 3,551
I gave my Gilmore lite to a friend but I want to buy another one day. It really is an amazing little amp that does almost nothing wrong and everything right.

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #1,510 of 3,551

Quote:
I gave my Gilmore lite to a friend but I want to buy another one day. It really is an amazing little amp that does almost nothing wrong and everything right.

robm321.......I know what you mean.  I ordered my Gilmore Lite in 2006, and have been enjoying its stellar performance ever since.  It is unfortunate that HeadAmp stopped producing the Gilmore Lite in March of last year, so to find another one you will have to get lucky on the used market. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #1,511 of 3,551
Not THAT lucky...there are 2 on the current front page of the Head-Fi amp for sale forum

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #1,512 of 3,551

Quote:
You crazy kids and your modding.  I wish my parents would have brought me to awesome headphone meets.  Of course, I wouldn't settle for low grade headphones, but I would have loved the experience.

Get a good sled and some Iditarod dogs and come on down to the NYC Spring Meet. 
smile_phones.gif

On another note (pardon the pun), I miss my big shiny Teac 2300S.

A couple of guys like vpivinylspinner and ironbutt drags their R2R to our meets and you ever want to hear Hotel California at it's best, it's a holy experience. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #1,513 of 3,551
Just finished my music corner :)
Its a rig centered around getting the most out of my HD800s and i'm really happy with it.
Today i upgraded every cable in the rig and the sound has definitely improved, its not even subtle. 
The upgrades included 2 x Virtual Dynamics Nite II Power cables, Locus Polestar USB, Whiplash Elite Custom XLR to RCA IC and finally a Twag V2 HD800 cable
Even treated myself to a Professional Foobar2000 skin as a finishing touch, just wish i could take better photo's!

Feb 5, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #1,514 of 3,551

Quote:
Just finished my music corner :)
Its a rig centered around getting the most out of my HD800s and i'm really happy with it.
Today i upgraded every cable in the rig and the sound has definitely improved, its not even subtle. 
The upgrades included 2 x Virtual Dynamics Nite II Power cables, Locus Polestar USB, Whiplash Elite Custom XLR to RCA IC and finally a Twag V2 HD800 cable
Even treated myself to a Professional Foobar2000 skin as a finishing touch, just wish i could take better photo's!

03029174.......I noticed the SPL Phonitor headphone amplifier in your rig.  Very nice component.  I have a friend who owns one with the black face.  What are some of your impressions of the SPL Phonitor specialized controls like the Crossfeed, Speaker Angle, and Center Level?

Feb 5, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #1,515 of 3,551
I love it, my previous rig was based on K1000 so I got used to having the performers in front of you. With the angled drivers and the cross feed / centre reduction feature I can reproduce the K1000 imaging and benefit from the HD800 bass. The Cary Dac really pairs well with the HD800 and the Phonitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back