Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Oct 13, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #5,551 of 10,948

Quote:
Very cool, good luck with the music and enjoying your living place! Where can I preview some of your albums/tracks and buy them? Do you use bandcamp? Great site that you should look into for distributing your music if you don't use it or know about it already. bandcamp.com 

I don't have a personal album out yet--I've been composing for clients. I'm working on it though--I'd like to get an album finished within a year if possible. I guess I can sell individual tracks too. I'll have to set that up eventually. 

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #5,552 of 10,948

Quote:
I had to do a ridiculous amount of futzing around to get this to work. My college rig in my cramped college apartment room (it's a double, so I have a roommate whose desk you can make out at the edge of mine):

The audio system is a MacBook Air 13" 2011 running iTunes with Amarra through the line-out to the Peachtree Audio Nova Aux 1. The Nova feeds a pair of Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Stradas as nearfield monitors. Not pictured: SVS SB-12 Plus subwoofer in my living room, which I need to figure out what I'm going to do with (too big, too heavy, too good).

TV is a Panasonic TC-L32S1 32" 1080P IPS-Alpha, connected via a Thunderbolt-to-HDMI cable. Logitech G700 mouse is hooked up to the desktop machine via USB which charges it while I use it wirelessly with the Air. Keyboard is a Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard connected wirelessly to the MBA, and it sits atop a Logitech Illuminated Ultrathin Keyboard that's used with the desktop.

Due to size/desk space limitations the desktop machine is precariously perched on top of a wooden board supported by repurposed Lovan Affiniti II 29" speaker stands. The speaker stands used to hold Onix Reference 1 MKIIs but I figured I might as well employ them to make this setup work.
Desktop Specs:
i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz with Corsair H60
Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Micro
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
eVGA GTX 480 @ 840/1680/2000MHz with Zalman VF3000F
Antec EarthWatts EA-650 Green PSU
Antec Three Hundred Illusion

Hooked up via USB to the Nova. Due to size constraints I'm going to be selling the desktop to a friend and building a new, smaller one.

Unfortunately I still won't be able to use the USB of the MBA since both ports are taken up by the wireless receivers. -_- (Logitech won't let the G700 work with unified receivers like the one on the Wireless Solar Keyboard, bah.)

Another picture showing the very limited space I had to work with, with a cameo appearance by the JH13s. It's hard to tell from the picture but the Strada are literally at the edge of the table (wooden board with the speaker stands is slightly lower). It was possible to build a great-sounding system in this space, but only the Gallo Stradas could do it (unconventional design means they don't care about the suboptimal spacing and acoustics that nigh any other monitor with a traditional cabinet would be tremendously finicky with). The shape of the Stradas made it barely possible to do this.

The resolution is disgustingly good, comparable to the JH13s. I prefer my JH13s where substantial bass response is needed (50Hz and below) but the Strada throw an unbelievable soundstage and such tremendous resolving power and "speaker sound" that they obviated the need for a pair of HD 800s, T1s, LCD-2s, et cetera.

Long live College-Fi.

There is no space on the desk. I have drawn the conclusion that you don't do your homework or study. Am I correct?

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #5,553 of 10,948

Quote:
Very nice!!  I love the Audrey Hepburn poster!  I must ask though, what's your audio gear?  Oh and what's your mousepad?

Hi! As someone already pointed out, they are Finnish active speakers, Genelec 8020Bs. Mousepad is Steelseries Experience I2, it's made of glass.

Oh, and Audrey Hepburn <3

Quote:
nice ziilot, that is a very clean relaxing setup. Oh how I wish i still had my k601
frown.gif
.  They sound just about like what you desk looks like
tongue_smile.gif

M

Thanks! :)

Quote:
Hi Ziilot, are those Genelec's 8020?
Where did you bought those speaker stands? I need something like that (i do like the ones Genelec have but they're pretty expensive), for now i'm just using big, thick books! AHAHAHAHAH

I was sure that no one have even heard of Genelec outside of Finland. Good choice my friend :wink:. Are you using subwoofer with those? I have 5040 under the table but I heard they released 5051.. so I might have to upgrade soon.

I bought my stands from here http://www.thomann.de/fi/km_232bk.htm
I guess they are actually microphone stands, but the 3/8" thread is pretty standard so any stand with that will do :)

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #5,554 of 10,948

Quote:
I was sure that no one have even heard of Genelec outside of Finland. Good choice my friend :wink:. Are you using subwoofer with those? I have 5040 under the table but I heard they released 5051.. so I might have to upgrade soon.

I guess they are actually microphone stands, but the 3/8" thread is pretty standard so any stand with that will do :) 

Hi, yeah, they're great, at the moment i haven't the sub, only the speakers.
Do they provide stability, can they handle well the weight?
I'm tempted in trying, 20€ it's a nice price, the table l-stands from Genelec are 90€ each plus shipping..
eek.gif

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #5,555 of 10,948

Quote:
Quote:

Hi, yeah, they're great, at the moment i haven't the sub, only the speakers.
Do they provide stability, can they handle well the weight?
I'm tempted in trying, 20€ it's a nice price, the table l-stands from Genelec are 90€ each plus shipping..
eek.gif

Yeah, these are very sturdy, although the diameter isn't as wide as in original Genelec stands. But I'm not worrying that speakers would fall off or something :)

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #5,556 of 10,948

Quote:
There is no space on the desk. I have drawn the conclusion that you don't do your homework or study. Am I correct? 

there is no space on my desk... and you would be correct in drawing that conclusion about me. Almost 100% of the homework is online.. and very little studying goes on in my room.

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #5,558 of 10,948

Quote:
I was sure that no one have even heard of Genelec outside of Finland. Good choice my friend :wink:.

I'd imagine that a lot more people have heard of Genelec, as it is one of the biggest studio monitor makers in the world.

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #5,561 of 10,948
It is.  I did too.  I also had an MPC500 for travel use.  After converting to Reason and ReCycle I found the the MPC to be too constricting to my work.  The only features I miss are the time stretch and the quick sample editing.

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #5,564 of 10,948
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to post that - I'll take the time to go through your suggestions, Lunatique. :)

I've tweaked my room lighting settings slightly and my overhead lights reflect off of my white room walls in a way that seems to be more balanced from either side of my peripheral vision now. It definitely seems like common sense, and my settings now feel more right to me. Thanks again for sharing your wisdom, Lunatique. 

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #5,565 of 10,948

Quote:
The Strada goes for only $2000/pair. 
redface.gif
 The one you're referring to is probably the Gallo Reference 3.5. I plan on purchasing the 3.5s after graduating (obviously after getting a full-time job too) and using the Stradas as rear surrounds (and getting a Strada center channel and a receiver for a 5.1 HT).

Hmmm so you find 2000dollar speakers sound better than 1000dollar headphones? I though one would have to go to even more expensive speakers to achieve top end headphones performance.

In that case I might start to build some speakers, hehehhe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back