Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Jan 22, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #3,257 of 10,933

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #3,262 of 10,933
Awesome - glad you love the Martin Logans!

How do they sound?

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #3,264 of 10,933

Quote:
I finally got my desk rearranged to fit my new (used) Aragon 18k, now I need to make some longer RCA cables so my Alpha III can join the party as well.

Awesome W510 - how do you have it spec'ed?  I almost got one but then decided to go for the T510 instead.  The extra RAM slots, colorimeter, and USB 3 would have been nice, but I put the money towards a Spyder 3 Elite instead, so I can use it for all of my monitors.  Oh, and the FHD screen is awesome.  I just wish it was 1920x1200 instead, and an IPS panel to boot...

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #3,265 of 10,933
colorimeter? 
ph34r.gif
 what is it? 
redface.gif

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #3,266 of 10,933

These particular MLs are actually self powered so my Nuforce HDP just acts as a DAC/Pre-amp for the setup. Makes it super easy!
Quote:
epocs, wild looking set up. I like it. I know the ML's don't need a big amp.. What have you chosen to put between them, and your laptop?

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #3,267 of 10,933

They actually took some time to setup so that I would be in a "sweet spot" but they sound absolutely amazing now. I can't say that this is the most optimal positioning, but even if it isn't, I haven't really any complaints as they are just so fast, transparent, powerful, with a huge soundstage. Live music sounds glorious on these speakers compared to my last pair.
Quote:
Awesome - glad you love the Martin Logans!

How do they sound?

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #3,268 of 10,933

Quote:
Awesome W510 - how do you have it spec'ed?  I almost got one but then decided to go for the T510 instead.  The extra RAM slots, colorimeter, and USB 3 would have been nice, but I put the money towards a Spyder 3 Elite instead, so I can use it for all of my monitors.  Oh, and the FHD screen is awesome.  I just wish it was 1920x1200 instead, and an IPS panel to boot...

My W510 is a fairly lowly config compared to the really expensive oness:

ThinkPad W510
Core i7 720QM 1.6/2.8 GHz
Quadro FX 880M 1 GB
4 x 2 GB HyperX DDR1333 CL7
Momentus 7200.4 320 GB
15.6" HD+ 1600x900

Using it for music production with ASIO 32/96 in FL Studio is a dream, quad core CPU's rock when your software supports it.
I thought a lot about witch display to get, the FHD would be awesome for FL Studio, but straining for the eyes when reading, in games I wouldn't use such a high resolution.
So I got the HD+ and it's fine, plenty of brightness, the picture of my setup was shot with blitz, but the image on the screen is still clear.
Contrast and colors are great too, not quite as good as the UXGA IPS screens found on older models, my ancient frankenpad A30 has such a display, and it's wonderful.
The main reason I got the W510 was that I automatically go for the fastest video card available in a desktop replacement class ThinkPad, I did not get dissapointed
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #3,270 of 10,933

Quote:
Quote:

My W510 is a fairly lowly config compared to the really expensive oness:

ThinkPad W510
Core i7 720QM 1.6/2.8 GHz
Quadro FX 880M 1 GB
4 x 2 GB HyperX DDR1333 CL7
Momentus 7200.4 320 GB
15.6" HD+ 1600x900

Using it for music production with ASIO 32/96 in FL Studio is a dream, quad core CPU's rock when your software supports it.
I thought a lot about witch display to get, the FHD would be awesome for FL Studio, but straining for the eyes when reading, in games I wouldn't use such a high resolution.
So I got the HD+ and it's fine, plenty of brightness, the picture of my setup was shot with blitz, but the image on the screen is still clear.
Contrast and colors are great too, not quite as good as the UXGA IPS screens found on older models, my ancient frankenpad A30 has such a display, and it's wonderful.
The main reason I got the W510 was that I automatically go for the fastest video card available in a desktop replacement class ThinkPad, I did not get dissapointed
smily_headphones1.gif

I see... I definitely had an entirely different strategy for my T510:

Core i5 M540 2.53 GHz (Fast enough and not as battery hungry)
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 3100M 512 MB (My goal was to run Source Engine games at 1920x1080 w/out AA & everything on max @ 30-60 fps; it does that well)
2x 2 GB RAM (Even when photo editing multiple 10 MP RAW files plus 30+ tabs of Firefox and Winamp running, it's enough - but upgrading is always a possibility)
2x WD 750 GB 5200 RPM HDD; one is in the Ultrabay
15.6" FHD 1920x1080 (I wish they'd stick to resolutions instead of stupid marketing terms)
Standard 6-cell battery (wWsh I had gotten the 9-cell, but I'm not going to pay $150 to get one)
Webcam & fingerprint reader

Beyond the usual internet/e-mail/VOIP/word processing, I do a ton of photo editing, some Matlab (well, a clone anyway) & CAE with Abaqus, and a fair amount of gaming (no more Crysis though - after my desktop I'm not even going to try it on the T510).  The screen was the top priority, given that it has to stand in for the 3840x2400 T221 for a year abroad...  If there was a 15" 2560x1600 laptop I would've paid for it...   I generally fall into the "good enough" processor and RAM categories - I think diminishing returns come very quickly here (especially from the OEMs), and I was already hurting from the $250 extra for the screen...  Actually, I got just one stick of RAM and added the other from Newegg.  Anyway, the i5 is pretty fast for Capture NX, a notoriously slow program.  Faster would be nicer of course, but my priority was the screen...

Coming from a desktop with dual 1 TB drives was difficult - I actually started out with just one of the 750 GB drives but realized I was going to run out of space right away.  I've got over 150,000 photos, most of them 10 MP RAW files, so they take up more than their fair share of space...  The second one started life in an eSATA external enclosure (the only one I found that ran off of USB power), but I got the Ultrabay adapter around Christmas, since I so rarely use the DVD-R drive.  The original HDD was a 320 GB one, probably the same you've got - that's been moved to the eSATA enclosure for now for backup of the most critical files (to have three copies of them plus one copy online).  I might get the first 1.5 TB or 2 TB 2.5" drive that comes out, just to give myself some breathing room.

Oh, and it's funny watching people try to use my Thinkpad - I have the touchpad turned off in the BIOS, so it's not possible for people to use it without restarting the computer...  They get pretty confused, and then try to flick the Trackpoint to move the cursor once I tell them that the touchpad is turned off.  I kind of wish it didn't even have the touchpad in the first place, although it doesn't really bug me too much.

What kind of battery life do you get?  With the 6-cell battery I get about 3 hours with wireless on and the screen at around "10" brightness; or about 2-2.5 hours with the screen at "14" (max "15").  The backlight on the FHD screen is quite a bit brighter, so I'm not quite sure how they'll compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back