Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Jul 29, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #706 of 10,937
9370165cv1a-1.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #707 of 10,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the Mac mini vs a MacBook Pro, that's a tough call, but I say get the laptop. Even the cheapest MacBook Pro 13" is plenty powerful for most use except gaming. And Mac minis are cheap enough that if you're tempted, you could add one later.

I'll second. Actually, I think the MacBook has a higher spec than the Mini. They have the same GPU and the MacBook has a slightly faster processor. I don't think you'll miss much except some of the connectivity options. Plus, having a portable device makes everything much more flexible.

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #708 of 10,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My parameters are something along the lines of:

I need to replace the aging 12" G4 Powerbook in the home/office rig and can't make my mind up between a Mac Mini or a 13" Macbook and I'm currently re-ripping my entire CD collection into Apple Lossless and storing it on the 2TB USB drive underneath which I then want to be able to access and stream to other airport express enabled stereos around the house.

Iceman, I went with the Mac Mini over a Mac laptop and do not regret it for one second. I had several reasons for doing so. First, it is less expensive by a good margin even with an additional 1G installed by Apple. Second, it allows for two displays of your choose; you can get a very inexpensive one, the best and biggest available or anywhere in between. Third, it really is mini and since it has no display it allows great flexibility in placement. Fourth, it more than powerful enough for any audio related use, including ripping, conversion and playback. Fifth, neither allows for a large enough internal hard drive. Sixth, it is as quiet as any of the laptops; I cannot hear it except when ripping and even then with headphones on and music playing I cannot hear it. Seventh, no worries about battery replacement. Eighth, it has all the same ports and I think even more USB ports.

I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying computer based audio with the Mac Mini and the iTunes software. Ultimately, I think that whichever way you go you will be satisfied.

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #710 of 10,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mac mini looks all right but no digital audio out, would like to fit 3.5" HD. Does it have built in IR control?

Apple tech spec page: "Combined optical digital audio output/headphone out (minijack)"

It does have digital optical out. But unfortunately no IR interface.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #714 of 10,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mac mini has both ir interface and digital out

This is true. To use the optical input, you need a cable with a mini toslink connector. It also has IR and I use Apple's $20.00 mini remote and works really well with Front Row. The remote has forward, backward, next track, previous track, pause, and play functions. You can also use an iPhone or iTouch as a remote with a free app.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #717 of 10,937
Basically complete list of IR commands, you need more than just the ones you mention for control. If you're playing a DVD you want audio code. For general control up, down etc. Also short cut codes like the Microsoft one (jumps straight to My Music, My Videos etc)

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #718 of 10,937
For playing a DVD, the functions I listed are the ones I use. You can use the remote with Front Row to navigate between playing music, DVD, Movie on hard drive, etc. and ejecting a disc. I do not use the software for changing the audio code with DVDs. I image you would have to do this through Core Audio and the Midi options as selecting the bit rate for playback through iTunes.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #719 of 10,937
I use the logitech harmony with plex and have pretty full control. But I don't use the mini as a dvd player, just for playing back video and audio files on my computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back