Pico vs LD Mk5 + a DAC
Mar 10, 2008 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gyrodec

100+ Head-Fier
I was planning on getting a Pico, at least in part because of the great DAC. Then I saw great review of the dual-mono LD MKv and thought, as I don't really need a portable and I have HD600s which most people say benifit from a home amps grunt, should I get a LD MKv and a DAC instead.

So, two questions: Will the MKv really kill the Pico as an amp, and what DAC coould I get that would even approach the Pico's. The USB connection on the amp is a big plus.

Thanks for any help.

May 23, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 8
Yes your headphones need an AC amp to realize their potential. Little-Dot has a great rep for building great inexpensive amps and your choice looks like a good one. I will say one thing just incase you have not considered this. The MK IV will provide alot more power to a set of high impedance cans like your 600s. Also you can tube roll to fine tune the sound. Either will work and I have never been able to find any power specs for the 600/650s but more power is going to be better than not enough. As for a DAC that will sound nice and keep you close to your 500 dollar budget I suggest you take a look at the Keces DA-151. They make a coax/opt model as well called the DA-131 I believe. I have not heard this DAC but you will find alot of people talking about it in the threads. Looks nicely built too. Good Luck.

KECES DA-151, USB DAC never sounded so good on computer - eBay (item 160241734990 end time May-27-08 18:19:29 PDT)

May 23, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #3 of 8
What he said...the DA-151 is great if you need USB, or the 131 if you don't. My MKV has no problem with my HD650's...love it!

May 23, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 8
Well, I wanted to build my system around accuracy, detail, and resolution, while still remaining affordable...The LD is a very transparent amp, no real coloration of the sound, very good separation and soundstage. You can really place the instruments. I've yet to listen to anything that really taxes the amp's headroom at all...tons of power for the most demanding sections. The build quality is great...nice and heavy (although there is very minor finish issues around the LEDs, like little brushy marks). The components selected in it's manufacture are excellent. It's a very dynamic amp with the quietest passages remaining clean and clear, and the big swings very well controlled. Keep in mind mine isn't even fully burned in yet...it's at about 60 hours. I'm sure it'll improve even more, but as far as it meeting my expectations and desires, I couldn't be happier. Well, until upgradeitis strikes again anyway...

May 24, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 8
Just Gordon and I, having a nice chat, lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back