Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Mar 20, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #931 of 939
It's probably not too hard to replace the jack. I don't have the Pico Slim, but had an older model Pico and own the Pico Power. Those both have sturdy jacks, and definitely better quality than others I have seen. It is possible to get an amp with a faulty jack, though. Once a jack has been used a lot, or subjected too too much pulling at angle, or wiggling, it is normal for it to wear out, no matter the quality. Keep on trying to contact HeadAmp through the HeadAmp website. There is even a phone number listed, if the email isn't working for you.

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #932 of 939
  It's probably not too hard to replace the jack. I don't have the Pico Slim, but had an older model Pico and own the Pico Power. Those both have sturdy jacks, and definitely better quality than others I have seen. It is possible to get an amp with a faulty jack, though. Once a jack has been used a lot, or subjected too too much pulling at angle, or wiggling, it is normal for it to wear out, no matter the quality. Keep on trying to contact HeadAmp through the HeadAmp website. There is even a phone number listed, if the email isn't working for you.

Thanks, I'll see how I go forward with this. My sony vaio 3D laptop has a nice jack that works flawlessly and it's been more than 5 years now that I've used it extensively. I think the Pico Slim just has a poor quality jack which again, is not acceptable for an amp in this price range.

As for replacing the jack, I don't know if want to risk breaking a $435 amp, so I'll refrain from attempting that.

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #933 of 939
Anyone have recommendations for a small portable DAC to go with the Pico to feed my Sennheiser IE800 IEMs? I am running off an iPhone 6 and have the camera connector kit. I've been looking into the Cozoy Astrapi and the Meridian Explorer 1, since I can get both for around $100 via eBay. I currently have the Creative SoundBlaster e5, which while having some amazing features and bluetooth abilities, seems to be pretty limited in separation and detail retrieval. I haven't used it with the Pico yet, but I expect and prefer a smaller and dedicated DAC will be the best option. Appreciate any suggestions for DACs in that $100-200 eBay range to get or if anyone here thinks the SoundBlaster E5 will sound great with the Pico pairing. I've already tried all the Fiio products and was underwhelmed enough to move on to higher-end brands am really interested into diving into the Chinese Hi-FI aka Chi-FI world.

I also have a friend that wants to sell me a Ray Samuels Sr-71B, which seems to be the only sub $500 portable amp that has more praise than the Pico. Anyone here have any experience comparing the two?

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #934 of 939
Anyone know how to get ahold of Justin? I tried email, phone and PM... Nothing.
My Pico Slim less then a year old lost all bass response. I have been sending him emails for a month. 
Kind of frustrating.

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #935 of 939
  Anyone know how to get ahold of Justin? I tried email, phone and PM... Nothing.
My Pico Slim less then a year old lost all bass response. I have been sending him emails for a month. 
Kind of frustrating.

Have you tried wiggling the cable of your headphones? I may know what you're talking about. If this doesn't work, then there might be a problem with the amp.

Nov 28, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #937 of 939
I got my slim a couple of weeks back delivered by my sister in India. Ran beautifully for some days and then suddenly today got sound that had some frequencies completely lost, kind of when the headphone is improperly inserted. Sending it back for repairs from India was not a practical thing, so opened it up and pushed the small plates of the headphone connector inside using a screwdriver and voila the contact has returned and all the amazing sound is back again. Mine is just 2 months old but its a very small fix so lets see how long this lasts before I have to redo this.

Nov 28, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #938 of 939
Well known issue with the Pico Slim, I must have done it a few times. It’s a very simple circuitry and some components are not as sturdy as recent amps plus you got to pick something small because of it’s diminutive size. It’s a good amp no doubt but there are better ones out there.

Apr 1, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #939 of 939
Headamp Pico slim still one of the best clean sounding amps for sensitive IEM.
20200401_110928.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back