Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Apr 18, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #886 of 939
Im from Singapore and i have a pico slim which i bought second hand. I would like to have it fixed as it has a loose headphone jack. Is it possible to get it repaired? :)

PM'd I assumed your the first buyer if not he most likely would charge a small fee but still is worth it, hey who knows as long as you pay for delivery he might do it for free. Just email him about your situation.

Good luck!

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #888 of 939
Hi

Is anyone here using the Pico Slim with the newest Gen iPod Nanos  or  Touches?  Does it make a significant difference to the quality of the sound (nano and touch especially) when using with High end CIEMs?

Nov 3, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #889 of 939
I recently tried pairing my newly bought (secondhand) HeadAmp Pico Slim with my DX90 and these are my impressions:

The DX90's onboard amp has surely more power when driving full sized headphones. So the sound comparisons are while using my FAD Heaven VI. The soundstage has equal depth maybe the DX90 winning by a little due to a more laidback midrange. The DX90 wins in soundstage width noticeably but most apparent was in soundstage height even with IEMs (really wasn't expecting that). The DX90 has slightly more midbass and more subbass than the Pico. The Pico Slim wins in clarity and articulation. Although less spread out, instruments are better defined and the DX90 seems muffled in comparison (the DX90 is not muffled at all). Bass had more detail on the Pico and was tighter but was quite lean. This would probably pair well with IEMs with strong bass as I hear better control from the Pico. Again, the Pico Slim won in clarity of the mids but pushed it towards the sweet but slightly cold side as opposed to the less cold mids of the DX90's onboard amp.

Overall, if you already have a DX90, there is no need for a Pico Slim unless bass is too much with mids that are muffled. If that's so even with the DX90, you should probably just change your headphones…

It gets more interesting when it becomes the iPod Video 5.5g with Pico Slim versus the DX90. The DX90 wins in overall technicalities but I just love the tonality of my Heaven VI with the iPod and Pico. Less bass and soundstage but better clarity while still keeping warm and smooth mids. I probably wouldn't have bought the DX90 if I got the Pico Slim first. That being said, I enjoy both setups equally and will continue to use both depending on my mood.

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #890 of 939
Question for anyone-- My Pico Slim used to connect to my iPhone 4s through the dock connector-- i had a small 1.5 inch connector from (i think) ALO audio.  

Times change and so do phones.  I now have an iPhone 6 plus.  Here's the question:  What's the best way to use the Pico now that the dock connector has changed to a lightning adapter?

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #891 of 939
  Question for anyone-- My Pico Slim used to connect to my iPhone 4s through the dock connector-- i had a small 1.5 inch connector from (i think) ALO audio.  

Times change and so do phones.  I now have an iPhone 6 plus.  Here's the question:  What's the best way to use the Pico now that the dock connector has changed to a lightning adapter?

Get one of those tiny dongle type DAC/amps that can function at line level with either no amp stages or amp stages inferior to the Pico Slim. There's ALO Audio's the Key, M2Tech's hiFace DAC (DAC only). There's the HRT Microstreamer, AQ Dragonfly, Meridian Explorer, and the Geek Out, for the DAC/amps though the last may have a better amp section. 

I'm thinking CCK into one of the DAC only dongles, a very short interconnect such as http://www.jdslabs.com/products/146/ultra-short-3-5mm-interconnect-cable/ and the Pico Slim. Considering the size of the Pico and the DAC dongles, it shouldn't be too thick and you'd only have a concern in keeping it stuck together… maybe an iPhone case just for these already stuck on them?

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #892 of 939

Get one of those tiny dongle type DAC/amps that can function at line level with either no amp stages or amp stages inferior to the Pico Slim. There's ALO Audio's the Key, M2Tech's hiFace DAC (DAC only). There's the HRT Microstreamer, AQ Dragonfly, Meridian Explorer, and the Geek Out, for the DAC/amps though the last may have a better amp section. 

I'm thinking CCK into one of the DAC only dongles, a very short interconnect such as http://www.jdslabs.com/products/146/ultra-short-3-5mm-interconnect-cable/ and the Pico Slim. Considering the size of the Pico and the DAC dongles, it shouldn't be too thick and you'd only have a concern in keeping it stuck together… maybe an iPhone case just for these already stuck on them?

But those interfaces (ALO key, Dragonfly) are USB-- and I'm facing a lightning connector off the phone. I'm not opposed to an outside DAC, but it needs to interface with the iPhone somehow, and be extremely portable-- the Slim is really small.  I'm just wondering if there's a better way to get the signal out of the iPhone than a headphone jack.  The nice thing about the old dock connector is it sent a line-level output to the Pico Slim, in one small cable.  

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #893 of 939
But those interfaces (ALO key, Dragonfly) are USB-- and I'm facing a lightning connector off the phone. I'm not opposed to an outside DAC, but it needs to interface with the iPhone somehow, and be extremely portable-- the Slim is really small.  I'm just wondering if there's a better way to get the signal out of the iPhone than a headphone jack.  The nice thing about the old dock connector is it sent a line-level output to the Pico Slim, in one small cable.  

I'm sorry but doesn't the Apple CCK (Camera Connector Kit) solve that lightning to USB issue as mentioned??

*edit* assuming the iPhone's 0.100A output is sufficient for powering the outboard DAC

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #894 of 939
I think he's looking for a way to get a line out(analog) from the iphone. not a digital out as the pico slim is only an amp.(can't help I know nothing about the lightning stuff, soz).

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #895 of 939
I think he's looking for a way to get a line out(analog) from the iphone. not a digital out as the pico slim is only an amp.(can't help I know nothing about the lightning stuff, soz).

Impossible on the Lightning connector apple devices. There is an accessory that seems like a converter jnto tne 30 pin line out but it's actually just another DAC disguised as a lightning to 30 pin adapter. Again, the only way to get an analog line level output with a lightning device without double amping is through another USB DAC with a line level output through the Apple Camera Connector Kit.

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #896 of 939
Impossible on the Lightning connector apple devices. There is an accessory that seems like a converter jnto tne 30 pin line out but it's actually just another DAC disguised as a lightning to 30 pin adapter. Again, the only way to get an analog line level output with a lightning device without double amping is through another USB DAC with a line level output through the Apple Camera Connector Kit.

The Apple line out converter with a DAC chip inside is the official solution. It is not small to match the Pico Slim though.

The best solution is to use the headphone jack at full volume. As I understand, those CODEC chips used in iPhones (currently Cirrus Logic?) don't have a true line capability out anyway. Even if you could tap into the chip (you can't), you would not be bypassing the amp stage. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #898 of 939
Pico slim and imod out to se846 blue filter works really well, synergy is perfect.

Audiowood or anyone, could you please share alittle on pico slim's volume dial headroom especially with the 846 (or iems in general)? say at 100% DAC out, would it still give you at least around 30% of the lower dial to play with?

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #900 of 939
  My problem with amping IEMs is that usually I can only set it around the 5% dial at most.

the pico slim has a digital control of the volume so it really doesn't matter where you are, you keep the precision and can nicely fine tune your volume setting by 0.5db increments without ever having to worry about channel imbalance. it's one of the reasons why it's been praised so much as an IEM amp.
and the gain value isn't high anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back