Pico, Predator, or <$500 desktop
Jul 24, 2008 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

renugaid

100+ Head-Fier
Looking to buy a portable amp for use with an IEM later on. The Predator seems best for those but I read that the Pico is better for the D5000 and helps to greatly extend its soundstage. I would like one that would run well for both, and it seems like the Pico is decent for IEMs. But considering that I have a Grado that I could use portably (if not struggling to) then I would be ok with just buying a desktop for my D5000s.

How does the Predator do with the D5000?

Any <=$500 desktops that run the D5000 well?

cheers

renugaid

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 6
If I had that size of a budget for an amp (I don't) I don't think I would go portable (especially if I had SR80's). I would probably be searching for the best desktop I could afford for the D5000's. I have a Headamp AE2 that I use for portable and that is about as far as I am wiiling to go (a little over $300 I think). My next goal is to find a nice affordable desktop. I have been researching the Gilmore Lite myself.

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 6
hmmm yes but for a desktop amp I really would like to go balanced and a Solid State balanced amp costs a pretty penny... I have heard good things about the Pico>Grado combinations too so I am very much leaning that way. Does anyone know the burn in time on a Pico? I know the Predator has an incredibly long burn in time which makes me less fond of that option.
confused.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by renugaid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know the burn in time on a Pico? I know the Predator has an incredibly long burn in time which makes me less fond of that option.
confused.gif

Many believe that the Pico doesn't require "burn-in". I never tried it and began enjoying mine from the first minute. I can't say that my Pico sounds any different now(well over 500 hours).

I think it will take longer to receive a Pico compared to Predator. Both are great, you can't lose.

Jul 25, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by renugaid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the Predator do with the D5000?
renugaid

I've had some experience here, I used to own a Predator and still own a pair of D5000's. I ended up selling the Predator because I found it was making the D5000's sound harsher in the treble and took away a lot of the warmth from them that I like so much. It did tighten up some of the boomy bass, but to me it made them sound a little bit cold.

It had a better synergy with my triple.fi's, but not to the point where I could justify the price tag which is another reason why I ended up selling it.

I'm in a similar situation to you, I'm going back and forth between whether to get a Pico or a desktop for the D5000's. I'd prefer the Pico just for the easy USB DAC thing and its size, but it all depends on how different the sound is to the Predator.

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 6
For $500 you get a Travagan White, which has received some good reviews and still pick up another small used portable amp from the FS forums. If I was going to be stationary, I would get a home based amp. For that price you could get someone like MisterX to build you a M3, then just get a USB DAC. Lots of options, but unless portability was the primary concern, get a home based amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back