Pico or SR-71???
Oct 19, 2007 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chouman

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all!

So as the title says, I'm in a bit of a conundrum and would love for people to chime in with thoughts.

My issue is this... I currently own a Headroom Micro Dac as detailed in sig and use an SR-71 as my home and portable amp. I'm currently on the pre-order list for a Headamp Pico, because I've heard such incredible statements about the dac and I'm guessing it will easily best my Micro Dac, which I've thoroughly enjoyed. I thought I might replace my Micro Dac and SR-71 with the Pico, having it serve as both my home setup (USB dac + amp) and my portable setup. However, I've also grown really attached to my SR-71. Another problem is that if I wanted to upgrade to a dedicated home amp like the HR-2 in the future, I would no longer have a standalone Dac for it. Would the Pico with its Dac and amp best my Micro Dac and SR-71? Would it best my SR-71 as a portable (SQ wise since it's obviously more portable sizewise).

Thanks in advance for looking and for your 2 cents.

Oct 19, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 6
Tough call... I see a lot of value in a stand alone DAC but I think the Pico will stand up well to higher priced DAC's based on my limited experience with it.

The Predator will probably be a closer sound to your SR-71 but I have no idea how the two will compare or how the DAC sections of either will compare to your Micro.

You'll probably have a tough time getting an answer since the Pico is not out yet but that's my 2¢

Oct 19, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for your reply wakeride. I guess I could hold on to my Micro Dac and SR-71 and compare to the Pico, maybe a Predator, and then make my decision from there. Now, the scramble to save save save.

In terms of cans I'm using, HD600 and Westone UM2s.

Anyone else?

Oct 19, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 6
Honestly there is no way no one could know now, actually only you can figure that out over time.

if I were you..

I would buy the Pico-chu and give it some time to settle in and give yourself some time to settle in with it. after you given it time your ears will tell you which one they like and which one to sell.

I hope Justin can send a pico to the Chicago Event on November 17th so we could demo it..I doubt it's going to happen given Justin's busy work life but we may be able to..slightly maybe.

Oct 19, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 6
Billy, you're probably right. Just gotta let my ears do the telling. But wait! There's a Chicago event on Nov 17th? Is this still open to attend? Want to pm me with details? Where are you in Chicago btw? I've never been to any meets yet and think it would be sweetness to demo some other gear to get a feel for what is out there.

Oct 19, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 6
Clic the Pic for info and all the good four,1,1.

I have not figured how many peoples are in yet but reply and I think we will figure out something..(don't worry man).
I am on the South side by Midway, like there is a plane in my backyard close. where are you? and you will have a blast meeting everyone at the event cause events (especially this one.hehe) are so much fun..like mini vacations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back