Picking headphones (HFI-580 ATH-M50 AH-D1100)?
Jan 21, 2011 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

volcompat

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I've been searching for a headset that fits my needs.  The three headsets that have stuck out that fit in my price range are the Ultrasone HFI-580s, ATH-M50s, & Denon AH-D1100s.  Below are things that I am would like to have. Please help me out because this will be my first pair of headsets that i will be looking to purchase

What I Listen To:
  1. Rap
  2. Hip Hop
  3. Techno
  4. Trance
  5. Drum N Bass
  6. Rock

Looking For:
  1. Durability
  2. Portability
  3. Sound Quality
  4. Bass
  5. Warranty

If there are headphones that people would like to rave about that are around 100-150$ then please put them up here. Thank you!

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 38
Yep, those are the fantastic trio. They're reportedly the best closed headphones at their price-range, but have different qualities. I've debated between getting the HFI-580 or D1100 for a while.

A perspective from only what I've read, 1-10 scale:

Denon D1100
  1. Highs: 8
  2. Mids:4
  3. Lows:5
  4. Soundstage: ?
  5. Instrument Separation: 8
  6. Isolation: 8
  7. Comfort: 8

ATH-M50

1. Highs: 8
  2. Mids:6
  3. Lows:7
  5. Instrument Separation: ?
  6. Isolation: 8
  7. Comfort: 9

HFI-580

1. Highs: 9
  2. Mids:8
  3. Lows:9
  5. Instrument Separation: 8
  6. Isolation: 9
  7. Comfort: 6

Again, these are only from a readers perspective. I set the lows of the Denons as a 5, as they reportedly roll off the low end, and you never hear the low frequencies, though they do have an amazing bass punch. They also muddy up the mids, so music such as classical wouldn't be ideal on the Denons. The HFI-580's are supposed to have great bass & punch (not as much punch as the denons), all while preserving the quality of their highs/mids. The ATH-M50 is a bit tricky, as they came in (reportedly) 2 different models, the newer white package model has a much more balanced spectrum, with bass a little under the HFI-580, but some debate otherwise. The ATH-M50 sound quality is also debatable between head-fi users, but most agree its a good place for any newcomer to start.

I'm unsure of soundstage on all headphones as I haven't really read much impressions of them, but this is especially an important factor for me, as I game quite frequently (in pinpointing enemy positions). Not only does it help gaming, but it makes you feel as if theres distance to the instruments when listening to songs, you would want them to sound as airy as possible, while still considering that they are infact closed headphones.

All of them reportedly have good isolation.

All in all, I haven't tried any of these headphones, but I've been researching them for quite a while myself. I'm mostly leaning toward the HFI-580's.

Others you might want to consider: Shure SRH750DJ (bad build quality), Shure SRH840 (bass not very prominent, balanced, similar to ATH-M50)

Jan 22, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 38
Taking a guess, I would say the HFI-580. From what I have read around here, the M50 came in 2 versions, with the most current model being bass "light"

Audio-Technica is releasing a few new models here in the U.S. that I think might be bass heavy. The ATH-PRO700MK2 and the ATH-WS70 and ATH-WS50

Jan 22, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 38

Quote:
So which out of these has the better Bass? 

Define "better bass" k thx. :D *sorry I love doing that*

Some people prefer no bass, others like overpowering bass, some prefers tight/punchy bass that decays quickly, others prefer deep rumbling slow bass, some want textured bass, others are fine with bloated boomy bass as long as quantity is there etc. So again I ask what's "better bass" for you. 

In realm of sound, preferences are highly subjective so you should know how you personally prefer it to sound like.

It seems the M50 I tried was very basslight compared to what some others have and the headphone with least bass among those I've bought, I've seen people even saying M50 having more bass than D1100 and that was far from the experience I had so it just has to float different versions around.

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 38

Define "better bass" k thx. :D *sorry I love doing that*

Some people prefer no bass, others like overpowering bass, some prefers tight/punchy bass that decays quickly, others prefer deep rumbling slow bass, some want textured bass, others are fine with bloated boomy bass as long as quantity is there etc. So again I ask what's "better bass" for you. 

In realm of sound, preferences are highly subjective so you should know how you personally prefer it to sound like.

It seems the M50 I tried was very basslight compared to what some others have and the headphone with least bass among those I've bought, I've seen people even saying M50 having more bass than D1100 and that was far from the experience I had so it just has to float different versions around.

And that is why I'm swaying against the D1100's. Im hopinh the HFI-580's have similar punchy upper bass, but can still have those rumbling lows; all without sacrificing the mids/highs, as the D1100 reportedly does.

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 38
I don't know too much about bass or what to look for in headphones.

I want something that can deliver Bass perfectly in different genres. Makes it feel real and the headphones not to break in 2 days after using them.

Jan 22, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 38
Hey don't forget if you really like the HFI-580's you can get the DJ1's and it's essential the same can with a coiled cord which people like me prefer, and honestly I like the white styling.

I'm in the same spot that you are though choosing between a few of these models.  I listen to tons of dubstep, other techno, and metal/rock so I really want something with a real solid amount of bass but whether I'd prefer punchy or deep tone I can't really say.  What I do know is I'd really like to be able to FEEL the bass which currently in my Sennheiser HD555's I cannot.

Jan 22, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 38

Quote:
Hey don't forget if you really like the HFI-580's you can get the DJ1's and it's essential the same can with a coiled cord which people like me prefer, and honestly I like the white styling.

I'm in the same spot that you are though choosing between a few of these models.  I listen to tons of dubstep, other techno, and metal/rock so I really want something with a real solid amount of bass but whether I'd prefer punchy or deep tone I can't really say.  What I do know is I'd really like to be able to FEEL the bass which currently in my Sennheiser HD555's I cannot.

Why would i get the DJ1's and the bold part doesn't make sense.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 38
vote for the M50.  drop the D1100 off your list.  I haven't heard the Ultrasone, so ymmv..but the M50 is better than the D1100.

Jan 23, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #12 of 38
I have the hfi 580 here, i believe i got the basslight m50 and the bass of these hfis 580 is big..and also it is clear sounding which is good for a headphone priced at this price point.

Compareing the soundstage of the akg and the hfi, well it is pretty big for a closed can.

I prefer the hfis 580 over my m50 regarding bass.

HFI-580

1. Highs: 9 (compared to akg 701)
  2. Mids:7.5 (compared to dt 48)
  3. Lows:9 (compared to hd 650 and dt 880)
  4. Soundstage: 7 ( compared to k701)
  5. Instrument Separation: 7.5(compared to dt 48)
  6. Isolation: 9 (compared to all of my headphones)
  7. Comfort: 6 (compared to all of my headphones)

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #13 of 38

Quote:
Quote:

Why would i get the DJ1's and the bold part doesn't make sense.

If you like the HFI-580's but would like a coiled cord and slightly different styling it's supposedly the same can.  How does the bold not make sense?  Other than it should've said 'essentially the same'.. Maybe I'm one of the few, but I much prefer a coiled cord on my headphones since it tends to cause far less tangles and mess

Jan 23, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #14 of 38

I have the hfi 580 here, i believe i got the basslight m50 and the bass of these hfis 580 is big..and also it is clear sounding which is good for a headphone priced at this price point.

Compareing the soundstage of the akg and the hfi, well it is pretty big for a closed can.

I prefer the hfis 580 over my m50 regarding bass.

HFI-580

1. Highs: 9 (compared to akg 701)

2. Mids:7.5 (compared to dt 48)

3. Lows:9 (compared to hd 650 and dt 880)

4. Soundstage: 7 ( compared to k701)

5. Instrument Separation: 7.5(compared to dt 48)

6. Isolation: 9 (compared to all of my headphones)

7. Comfort: 6 (compared to all of my headphones)

A soundstage score of 7, compared to the 701's? arent the 701s considered to have an amazingly wide and airy/spacious soundstage?

A 7 makes the HFi-580 seem exceptionally airy for a headphone of its class/type..which i would actually love (for both gaming and listening), but am confused

Jan 23, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #15 of 38
I wouldnt dismiss the D1100 , it is portable, responds well to amping and in comparison to my M50 it is more of a different flavour and certainly not 'worse' than it.
I havent heard the 580 but i did hear the 680 and it was very good imo , not a bass monster though, the worst thing about the HFI range is the cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back