Picked up the HD 228! (now with REVIEW and PICS!)
Jun 1, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #31 of 39
It sounds like you take the earpads off by stretching the elastic that attaches around the housing of each driver. Underneath there is foam that supports the earpads and slightly muffles the drivers. Apparently there is a small section of foam right under where the mesh grill is that can be removed, leaving a ring of foam around the outside but a direct path between the driver and your ear, leading to a brighter sound signature. You'd then put the earpads back on and listen for a while to see if you like it better for long term use.

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #33 of 39
Great review, thanks a lot, I have now finally made up my mind and HD 228 is what I have settled on.

I am picking them up from eBay australia for $50 which is pretty sweet considering they sell for $150 in the shops here.

How much burn in time would they need to reach their full potential?

Thanks again for the review.

May 16, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #35 of 39

Quote:
by comparing hd 228 to px100ii, who has the upperhand? thanks!

PX 100-II edges in my opinion, but if isolation is a necessity, the HD 228 isn't that far behind. Just got my HD 228 over the PX 100-II, haven't even burn them in or did any mod yet, and I'm already very happy with it. :)

May 16, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #36 of 39
i had the HD238 and the jack is just a no no. It broke twice, so after the second time i got a refund. I liked the sound, but the jack let them down big time. Be careful with the jack guys.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #37 of 39

Quote:
I didn't like them much at all when I got them either until I learned that they need to be placed farther back on the ear than would seem intuitive.

I have absolutely no idea about how or why I discovered this forum, but I've registered here just to say thanks, I was reading this post and I got to this part, then I decided to try it out and  it is incredible how much the sound changed by changing the position just a few milimetres.

thanks a bunch

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:
I have absolutely no idea about how or why I discovered this forum, but I've registered here just to say thanks, I was reading this post and I got to this part, then I decided to try it out and  it is incredible how much the sound changed by changing the position just a few milimetres.

thanks a bunch

Hey! It took almost two years for that post to make a difference, but it's worth the wait!
smile.gif

Glad it worked out for you. And no one knows how or why we end up in this place, but it's a great thing when we do. Welcome to Head-Fi!

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #39 of 39
updating an old thread...gotten this can recently for usd15 :p

tweaked a little on the pads:
took out the inner black foam,
added a crescentmoon piece of foam,
and reattached the pads upside down.

hotel california and fourplay slammed harder with reverbsss on my head...:p
the bass quantity increased significantly imho. ( playing it off my ipad )
If u still have a hd228, try it out n let us have your feedback
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back