Photos of...umm...my photo stuff
Jul 11, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #16 of 27
Thanks for the pictures. I really wouldn't get rid of the 1V for any other camera at the moment. It fits my needs more than any other camera, especially the weatherproofing. I am considering a small manual focus camera for street photography, so I might get one of the Canonet series, or maybe a Leica if i'm Insane enough
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 3:36 AM Post #17 of 27
Yeah, I would really like to get a leica for candids and street photography...or just for when I didn't want to lug around a huge camera. The problem is can you justify the expense for the task? I mean if it were just a matter of buying the body, then it would not be so bad, but I would hope to buy a 24mm, 50mm and 90mm lens, and to do that you are already talking anywhere from 4 grand to 10 grand (if you get a noctilux and summiluxes). I would probably get summicrons except for maybe the 50mm...Either way, my dad has one that he said he will give to me, so I will just wait for him to die <<looks at watch>> he's only in his fifties though, so I hope I don't get if for awhile.

Jul 11, 2003 at 3:40 AM Post #18 of 27
Hmmm...maybe he will let you borrow it?
wink.gif

I can't justify the cost of a Leica yet, because I wouldn't be able to pay back the cost. Maybe after I've gone through Medical School..............
cool.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 4:55 AM Post #19 of 27
Love the Canon F1N...i still have mine but from what i remember it didn't have TTL flash metering which was a bummer but otherwsie it's still a superb camera..The shutter on mine tends to get sticky at times and i hate to think what it's like now since i haven't used it in many many years. now days i use digital cameras but still use my Nikon F4s once in a blue moon...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 5:13 AM Post #20 of 27
[Nice gear, Stuart. I have a couple T90 bodies that I have used as my system for years. Great camaer, and built like a tank.

JC

Just in case you can't see clearly, I will give you the rundown on how much the thing actually fits. Here are the contents:
Canon T90 body.
Canon F1N with 50mm f1.2L
80-200mm f4L
85mm f1.2L
24mm f2
speedlite 300tl flash
hoods and caps for each lens
7 color correction or polarizing filters in individual cases.
Mini tripod
cleaning cloth, tissue and blow brush.
Replacement batteries for each camera and flash.

There is plenty of room for other stuff (like film, which I will put in there when I head out. The thing also has a full pull out rain cover that covers the whole backpack. It has a tripod stablizing device, and it is really comfortable as a backpack (waist and sternum belts). It was only about a 100 bucks. It is a great deal. If Patagonia or the North Face made it, it would be about 400...
Anyway, I have been spending about 5 hours a day wandering the city of Sapporo and taking pictures, so it is certainly going to make that a more pleasant experience. Well, enjoy. Also, head-fi photographers speak up! I know P.D. and wallijohn, but I want to see who else is as/more crazy about photography than about headphones.
Stuart [/B][/QUOTE]

Jul 11, 2003 at 5:33 AM Post #21 of 27
As for the flash on the F1N, you are right. I have the 300tl flash that was made for the T90, but I have not really figured it out for the F1 yet. It fits in the hot-shoe and if you put it on manual hi or lo, it works, but I have not figured out how to make sure the exposure is correct. I think I might actually have to use the indexes and tables .... forget that. I will use it on the T90 with the TTL. It works much better. Still, I have not really how to figured out how to take really good flash photography. It is really hard...I need to take a class or something. Even with bounce flash, sometimes it just does not look right. Perhaps I need to take a white card to reflect it off of or something.

Jul 11, 2003 at 7:02 AM Post #22 of 27
I didn't know that mini trekker can hold 2 SLRs. You have really great Canons there. I have Nikon F3 but mine used the batterey up quickly. Do you have any problems with T90 or F1? I think if i am going to get another SLR, it might be Minolta Maxxum7.

Jul 11, 2003 at 7:15 AM Post #23 of 27
I'm just dying for attention
wink.gif

What about my stuff? I guess no one saw my link yet. I'm gonna enlarge it
redface.gif

Oh, and as for being more crazy about photography than headphones, I guess I qualify, but thats only because I've been into audio quality for just about 3 months so far.

Lets see....total cost of the stuff I listed is about....6-7k?

I still need to spend about 2500$ on photo stuff! Ahhh....
mad.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 12:20 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by stymie miasma
I might shamelessly plug Crumpler, an Australian company who make some great messenger/camera/laptop bags. I have a couple of their messenger bags and they are supertough. I also use one of their small lens/camera bags to hold my MD player - you can see it here.

Thanks for reminding me of that site, will need to buy a bag soon.

Jul 11, 2003 at 1:17 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
Yeah, I would really like to get a leica for candids and street photography...or just for when I didn't want to lug around a huge camera. The problem is can you justify the expense for the task? I mean if it were just a matter of buying the body, then it would not be so bad, but I would hope to buy a 24mm, 50mm and 90mm lens, and to do that you are already talking anywhere from 4 grand to 10 grand (if you get a noctilux and summiluxes). I would probably get summicrons except for maybe the 50mm...Either way, my dad has one that he said he will give to me, so I will just wait for him to die <<looks at watch>> he's only in his fifties though, so I hope I don't get if for awhile.

if you don't mind the louder shutter, you can always start with a bessa r2. dirt cheap used. takes leica glass.

Jul 11, 2003 at 2:35 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by NEO
I didn't know that mini trekker can hold 2 SLRs. You have really great Canons there. I have Nikon F3 but mine used the batterey up quickly. Do you have any problems with T90 or F1? I think if i am going to get another SLR, it might be Minolta Maxxum7.

The F1 is amazingly efficient with its battery. It only uses it for its meter, and for shutter speeds longer than 1/90th of a second. Because of this, I think it has had the same battery for several years (6 or 7) and it is still about half full. During most of that time it was dormant though. The T90 takes 4 AA's, but it runs three discrete motors for film rewinding, film advance and the shutter, so it is very very efficient. I have been on the same batteries for about a six months and it still lists a full charge...They are very well engineered. Also, if the F1 runs out of batteries, you can still use it. This and its incredible ruggedness were some of the main reasons it was the choice of many professional journalists and photographers. It is truly an awesome camera.

psxguy, your stuff looks great. That massive 100-400mm f5.6L is a sweet piece of glass. f5.6 is great for a 400 mm zoom, and I am sure that the aspherical element really helps it out. I am a HUGE fan of Canon L series lenses...they are definitely peachy-keen. Your tripod is also enviable. I have a bogen full-sized tripod with a pistol grip head that works very well. It was, of course, too big to bring with me to Japan, but when i am at home it is a god send. I took some a great shot of Santa Barbara at night with it.

image-display

See if that works. I have a few photos up at photo.net, but compared to the rest of the people there, they are not great.

Lego, that is an interesting proposition. I will check out the Bessas at the local shop. I did not know that they took Leica lenses. Then again, one of the big advantages of the Leica is the quiet cloth shutter. That said, the F1 and the T90 sound like bombs going off, so the Bessa is surely quieter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back