Phonaks to the headphones test
Apr 16, 2009 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

charlie0904

500+ Head-Fier
today i went to try a few cans. mainly are within my budget, HD555, denon1001, grados SR80i, ath-ES7. My rig is ipod touch 1g, T4 and a standard LOD.

denon1001 out. ES7 and SR80i sounds close to my phonaks but i like HD555 sound sig.

HD555 seems to lack a bit bass. problems lies with my setup?

can anyone recommend me a can? home use.

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 9
So are you asking for a full size headphone that has comparable sound quality to the Phonaks? Not sure I quite follow. But if so, then I find that the K701 is almost Phonaks that have been "blown wide" sort of speak, with similar sound signature but MUCH bigger soundstage. It CAN be driven by T4 competently, but that's not obviously something you want to do for long term.

If you are looking for bass then maybe go with D2000 (not sure though since you apparently didn't like D1001 SQ), mid tier Beyers, or maybe Senn 600? Actually it would help if you stated your budget also.

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 9
I'm not really sure of the question either.... So you went and sampled some headphones, didn't like a couple, so you're asking for an alternative can (headphone) suggestion.

Where does Phonak come into the equation? I'm confused.
confused.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where does Phonak come into the equation? I'm confused.
confused.gif

See, that's the problem with people who think linearly: you don't understand the simplest questions. So, to make it plain, what the OP is actually asking is if the smurfs' skin color is blue because their blood is violet. And the answer is, of course, 42.

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 9
hehe.... i was trying say my phonaks is AWESOME !!!! yeah...joking.

anyways sorry, my english is bad. didnt really phrase properly.

i am looking for a different sound sig. sound stage wider abit. senns is nice.

thanks K19. i will try AKGs tml but 701 seems difficult drive with T4.

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See, that's the problem with people who think linearly: you don't understand the simplest questions. So, to make it plain, what the OP is actually asking is if the smurfs' skin color is blue because their blood is violet. And the answer is, of course, 42.

There were/are actually blue skin toned people in Kentucky. It's some sort of rare genetic mutation. The skin has a slight blue hue to it.
Now if we got them together with some midgets we can have some real smurfs.

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe.... i was trying say my phonaks is AWESOME !!!! yeah...joking.

anyways sorry, my english is bad. didnt really phrase properly.

i am looking for a different sound sig. sound stage wider abit. senns is nice.

thanks K19. i will try AKGs tml but 701 seems difficult drive with T4.

NP. With the T4 the 701 gets more than loud enough and actually complements 701 sound wise since it's a slightly warm amp, but if you are not planning on investing in a more powerful amp over long term, don't bother as you're not maximizing its potential. I do really think that the sound is Phonak-ish however.

For something different you're obviously going to want something else. Check out the Beyers/Senns/Denons.

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NP. With the T4 the 701 gets more than loud enough and actually complements 701 sound wise since it's a slightly warm amp, but if you are not planning on investing in a more powerful amp over long term, don't bother as you're not maximizing its potential. I do really think that the sound is Phonak-ish however.

For something different you're obviously going to want something else. Check out the Beyers/Senns/Denons.

thanks for the advice. i will audition 701 tml and see how. amp wise i think unless its a desktop amp, 701 would not reach potential with portable amps. tats the reason y i am not choosing higher end. coz i will be staying wth portable for quite some time.
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, to make it plain, what the OP is actually asking is if the smurfs' skin color is blue because their blood is violet. And the answer is, of course, 42.

LMAO
beerchug.gif

You have an apple in one hand, and an orange in the other, true or false?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back