Phonak Audeo vs Atrio M5 detail wise
Feb 20, 2009 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

ethan961

Member of the Trade: Bugden Audio
Hello everybody,
I have recieved my Phonak Audeos and am very impressed with everything except the bass, which is a bit thin for my taste.
I have considered returning these for the Atrio M5, which in the end would save me money. However, exactly how much detail will I lose by 'downgrading' to the Atrios? Also, will an amp with a bass boost improve the PFEs enough to make me reconsider? I really love them, and I have to decide what to do fairly quickly.
Thanks in advance,
Ethan

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 78
if you havent tried the pfe's amped yet, i suggest you check it out. when i use my pfe's with black filters/comply tips amped through my sony a728, i definitely feel like it shares some similiarties to my hd650.

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 78
I am using the black filters.
I think I am just looking for something that sounds more 'fun'. Some songs sound fun, but most of them it feels like I'm trying to pick the song to pieces, and its those few fun songs that make me consider not returning them. I think this, along with the bass, are the only (personal) downfalls of the PFEs. It's hard to explain. I noticed that I haven't done much headbanging since switching to them.
I have to decide quite soon though, and I am relying on your feedback. I will not be able to try them with an amp before the 14 days are up unfortunately.

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 78
I think firstly you have to establish if you are attaining the volume you normally listen at with other phones as with the black filters these are quite hard to drive from most daps. If volume, is not the problem for you then I don't think you will gain any benefits from an amp as even a bassy one will only accentuate the clean bass of the phonaks which don;t hang around like some other iems. Again, you have very little midbass to work with so you're never going to get that 'full' sound that the atrios would give.

An amp only really enhances the qualities already inherent in the phone itself and if you are not getting head-bopping moments now then it is unlikely you will get them with an amp.

Edit: Never tried the v2. atrios but have owned the v1 atrios and if you appreciate detail and accurate representation of your music you will probably find it hard to adjust to them after having heard the pfe's. Though the v2's may be a different kettle of fish...

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 78
Sounds like your just not use to the true detail of these phones. I use mine with black filters and silicon tips with my iphone 3g. To be honest the sound is incredible. You will need a source or amp to really drive them. these are very detailed phones no bloated bass. Dont give up until you find a good combo.

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you havent tried the pfe's amped yet, i suggest you check it out. when i use my pfe's with black filters/comply tips amped through my sony a728, i definitely feel like it shares some similiarties to my hd650.

Yes! I agree...and the 650 is no slouch for a good slam.
HD6xx.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 78
I am not having any volume issues, so i guess that is not really the problem. i never have my touch above 50% volume with them.
It is possible i am just not used to their detail, but it would be nice to have some more midbass, which is what I seem to be missing. At first, before I got used to them, I was wondering why the bass decayed so quickly.
I feel like I could give up some of the detail that they offer, but I just don't want to give up too much.
If an amp will only improve the qualities of them and not give it more bass qualities, I think the atrios are my best option.
Thanks for the help, I have now decided that the phonaks are going back.

Edit: I won't have the chance to try them amped before the 14 days is up unfortunately.

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 78
How about, use a bit bass-boost/EQ. Don't give up yet, try to keep them as long as you can, and let the burn-in do it's magic
smily_headphones1.gif
. I also owned NE-7Ms which give a very good bass, but my current PFEs also give not just a good bass, but a better quality and clearer bass.

Thank you

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #10 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do what you've gotta do...we'll miss you at Team Phonak.
beerchug.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #11 of 78
Quote:

I am not having any volume issues, so i guess that is not really the problem. i never have my touch above 50% volume with them.
It is possible i am just not used to their detail, but it would be nice to have some more midbass, which is what I seem to be missing. At first, before I got used to them, I was wondering why the bass decayed so quickly.
I feel like I could give up some of the detail that they offer, but I just don't want to give up too much.
If an amp will only improve the qualities of them and not give it more bass qualities, I think the atrios are my best option.

Edit: I won't have the chance to try them amped before the 14 days is up unfortunately.

The PFE are pretty flat frequency response wise and very detailed and accurate. If you are used to over boosted mid-bass then they will never be what you want unless you EQ them.

There is no such thing as decaying too quickly. There is however decaying too slowly. If you are used to transducers that decay slowly you might find the Phonak not to your taste.

What IEMs did you use before the PFE?

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 78
Before the PFEs I only had some cheap JVC air cushions, but those were almost a year ago. After they broke I have been reduced to some JVC Gumy earphones until the PFEs. Yeah, I know, pretty sad. I don't really belong here :p However, I do know that I appreciate good sound and do have interests in this field - I spent all the money I have on the PFEs (I am a broke teenager).

However, I just started using the bass boost on my ipod. Before that I was immediately turned off by the distortion, but after getting used to it, the bass has improved a lot, more to my taste.
I will keep them for a little while longer to make sure that i really want to return them.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 78
Quote:

Before the PFEs I only had some cheap JVC air cushions, but those were almost ago. After they broke I have been reduced to some JVC Gumy earphones until the PFEs. Yeah, I know, pretty sad. I don't really belong here :p However, I do know that I appreciate good sound and do have interests in this field - I spent all the money I have on the PFEs (I am a broke teenager).

However, I just started using the bass boost on my ipod. Before that I was immediately turned off by the distortion, but after getting used to it, the bass has improved a lot, more to my taste.
I will keep them for a little while longer to make sure that i really want to return them.

That explains it. The JVC air cushions have too much bass. I have a pair.

There is nothing to be ashamed about the JVCs. I started there too.
tongue_smile.gif

Give your self a week to get adjusted to the Phonak. If in that week you don't get used to them you can always send them back.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #14 of 78
Quote:

Before the PFEs I only had some cheap JVC air cushions, but those were almost ago. After they broke I have been reduced to some JVC Gumy earphones until the PFEs.

"getting used to it" == "mental/psychological burn in" magic
smily_headphones1.gif
. Some people did not get used to a good 'quality' sound, and it may take some time to understand it.

I am pretty sure with a good amp, you will love PFEs more.

Thank you.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #15 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"getting used to it" == "mental/psychological burn in" magic
smily_headphones1.gif
. Some people did not get used to a good 'quality' sound, and it may take some time to understand it.

I am pretty sure with a good amp, you will love PFEs more.

Thank you.

He just said he spent all his money on the PFE. Please don't make him spend more.
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back