Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Sep 5, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #2,371 of 3,308
I do also have my issues to come to like the PFE. Very detailed but they feel a bit too airy and cold for my money. I had a pair of CX-870 and although they're supposed to be much worse they felt warmer. What I mean is I miss the over-the-head-headphone feeling I had with those.

I should say it might be a fitting issue because if I press my ear around them the warmth of the bass comes back. I've tried all the sizes of the silicone tips and the large Comply and there's no way. That reverb of the sound is just not there. Are there any tips that might fit better? I still have some old Sennheiser around so I might try and see if the tips from those ones fit properly. Special needs ears...

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #2,372 of 3,308
So I posted on the deals thread, Audeo basically has buy PFE 112 and get the 022 free. Between three filters (Grey, black and green) over two earphones, do you think you could get a combo that would be great for all genres, but especially classical, jazz and rock?

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #2,375 of 3,308
 if i dont have an amp, what am i missing if i run these with Clip+? Do I lose out on detail, instrument separation, soundstage? is ANYONE using these regularly/happily WITHOUT an amp?

also, i seem to have weird ears that only get a good seal with tri-flange style tips. do tri-flanges work with these? how is isolation? does deep insertion help or hurt sound quality?

sorry for being curt, i have a tendency to write too much so i just wanted to get to the point without making everyone read a small novel! i'm interested in the Westone 4 but not crazy with spending so much, i've heard these are similar sounding (but with less bass/soundstage), but isolation and not using an amp are deal breakers.

all feedback appreciated!

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #2,376 of 3,308
Answered in bold.

Quote:
 if i dont have an amp, what am i missing if i run these with Clip+? Do I lose out on detail, instrument separation, soundstage? is ANYONE using these regularly/happily WITHOUT an amp? Not much at all.

also, i seem to have weird ears that only get a good seal with tri-flange style tips. do tri-flanges work with these? how is isolation? does deep insertion help or hurt sound quality? Tri-flange should work, but you have to get a pair of your own (Westone or Shure variants are fine, don't get Etymotic version as it might be too short) since no tri-flange is included. It shouldn't hurt the SQ much. Isolation, even with tri-flange, is just average (around -20dB or so, I reckon). Nothing like the level of Shure or Etymotic (> -30dB).

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #2,377 of 3,308
ClieOS, thank you! I'm currently using IE8 and basically like the sound (though i am craving more detail and less warmth) but the fit is awful and the isolation really is non existent. If PFE is around 20 dB, how does that compare to IE8?

I dont need dead silence with no music playing, just enough to cut down on library chatter without music, then totally drown out mild chatter and by adding very little volume. IE8 isolates so little (in part because of bad fit, no seal) that i have to turn music up too loud to be able to concentrate.

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #2,379 of 3,308

Quote:
ClieOS, thank you! I'm currently using IE8 and basically like the sound (though i am craving more detail and less warmth) but the fit is awful and the isolation really is non existent. If PFE is around 20 dB, how does that compare to IE8?

I dont need dead silence with no music playing, just enough to cut down on library chatter without music, then totally drown out mild chatter and by adding very little volume. IE8 isolates so little (in part because of bad fit, no seal) that i have to turn music up too loud to be able to concentrate.

IE8 isolates much like an earbud, which I think is probably around -12dB, if not less (3dB is double / half in SPL)

Quote:
Also, is there any way that tri-flange can HELP the sound quality? or do these actually prefer a loose seal a la IE8?

PFE does need a full seal to sound good. Tri-flanges might add just a little more bass to PFE, but it isn't really enough to say it 'helps' the SQ. If you even get a PFE, try the stock and Comply eartips first before getting the tri-flange. In fact, the included Comply foam tip should give you just as good, if not better isolation than the tri-flange. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #2,380 of 3,308
Quote:
So I posted on the deals thread, Audeo basically has buy PFE 112 and get the 022 free. Between three filters (Grey, black and green) over two earphones, do you think you could get a combo that would be great for all genres, but especially classical, jazz and rock?

I'm tempted by the same offer, especially with the grey filters for classical music / symphony. Do you recommend for this?

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #2,381 of 3,308
ur killing me imackler..i have one pair of customs and actually after yesterday i decided i might need a backup pair and these are real tempting.

Does anyone know what kind of shipping they use if you order straight from them?

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #2,383 of 3,308
Hey guys I need help with my Audeo's wire, the cables aren't that straight any more, is there any method to make it straight back? its kinda annoying for me.
I've tried by pulling the cables to straight but it doesn't work. Any ideas?

picture below for reference

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #2,384 of 3,308

Quote:
Hey guys I need help with my Audeo's wire, the cables aren't that straight any more, is there any method to make it straight back? its kinda annoying for me.
I've tried by pulling the cables to straight but it doesn't work. Any ideas?

picture below for reference

Is it just me, are are the cables like that to begin with...  The cables (actually all cables) have a certain way they coil.  Technically speaking, it's best if you wrap them back up that way if you do choose to wrap them up. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #2,385 of 3,308

Quote:
Is it just me, are are the cables like that to begin with...  The cables (actually all cables) have a certain way they coil.  Technically speaking, it's best if you wrap them back up that way if you do choose to wrap them up. 

well, this doesn't happen a year ago, back then the cables were straight and not swirl as this, even after I wrap them up

memory effect on cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back