Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Dec 7, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #2,221 of 3,308

Quote:
Thanks UtzY.

And you have a PM karanistheone.

Quote:
Quote:
My PFE's have been lying around for a year now with cracked cables..Bill over at Phonak says he cant ship the replacement to India.They are about to go out of warranty in another 2 months.Is there anyone in the US who would be willing to receive the replacement set and EMS them to me..??Please...

Hope I can help.. you have a PM. 
normal_smile .gif
 I'm not from USA though.

Just wanted to update you guys..Bill forwarded my mail to their HQ(Switzerland) who forwarded it to their UK dept.They are willing to ship the replacement set to my Brother in UK..yay..Great coordination between those guys.
If all goes well get my set by Christmas (along with me New TripleFi's..)
Thanks to both of you..Willing to help a complete stranger..The world is full of good people ...

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #2,222 of 3,308
It's kinda quiet on the Phonak front.. All issues regarding cracks and bad cables have been resolved right? I'm looking for a balanced armature earphone to use alongside the IE8.
The Phonak 012 is the new earphone with green filters for more bass, but with the same armature driver as the Phonak 112 as I understood.
It's difficult to decide this way, they should deliver the 112 with all three filters.

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #2,223 of 3,308
The issues are resolved as far as I know and otherwise, the aftersales is good from what I've read.
I got the 012 (perfect bass) to replace my broken RE0. Looking at your inventory the green or black filter should be good for you.

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #2,225 of 3,308
I just got the 022s and I love them.

I can't imagine swapping out the filter because I love the amount of bass I get from it (any less and I wouldn't be much of a fan).

I just want to say something:

Are these really 99 dollar IEMs?

I mean really, this is superb.  This is just my initial impression, but I can't imagine hating these in the next few days.  But wow of wow, really smooth sounding IEMs.  The only thing I wonder is if I should buy some comply tips for them to get more bass and better isolation.

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #2,226 of 3,308
Maybe the Comply's do accomplish a better isolation and even more bass, but I don't think it's worth it as they need regular change and are relatively expensive.

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #2,227 of 3,308
I find that the silicone give me a better seal than comply resulting in more bass. The comply are too expensive anyway and I like to think that silicone is more sanitary...a quick clean with alcohol/peroxide. I use the medium silicone although I have to super glue them on because they pull off and get stuck in my ears otherwise. This makes changing filters tough. lol The glue doesn't stick on the silicone too good so they come off without too much effort. I still haven't had any filter failures since my first pair. After having mine replaced twice, I have plenty of extra grey and black.

I still think these are great IEMs for the price.

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #2,228 of 3,308
The only bad things I've come up with so far are:

1) cord tangles easily.  And I mean with no effort.  In fact, they're always ready to get re-tangled after you straighten them up.  Not a big deal though.

2) Deeper insertion than I'm used to.  I have to kind of stick these in farther than any IEM I've ever had.  I'll admit, I'm not a huge IEM fan, so I've never had the pleasure (or non-pleasure) of sticking some Etys deep inside my ear canal.  Now these don't have to go DEEP, but they do go in farther than your everyday straight down inserted IEMs.  It's a bit of an adjustment, but well worth the payoff (so far.)

I'll have my full impressions in a week.  I have to spend time with these babies to get used to them.

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #2,229 of 3,308
Coming from using my ER4 mostly, when I first got the PFE 2 years ago, I was put off with the shallow fit(compared to ER4). I kept wanting to push them in further to get a deeper fit...but that simply can't happen. They aren't too much different(depth of fit) from Westone 3 with the same type tips and I'm used to the fit now and the comfort with these 2 IEMs is amazing. My Ortofon e-Q7 is more like an ER4 ear-raping fit..but the isolation is great.

blink.gif

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #2,230 of 3,308
I would just like to say that this purchase was life-changing. 

I now have new found respect for IEMs all thanks to the PBEs.  The sound is unbelievably fantastic.  I kind of want to try other high end IEMs to see what else is out there, after all, these IEMs were a measly 99 bucks (chump change in the audiophile world).

[size=small]IMO, you'd be hard pressed to find a better IEM in the price category.  This of course is my opinion and I do not claim to have the prerequisite that Mr. Joker does.  [/size]

I don't know where to start, the bass, the highs, the mids, all present and wonderful.  The bass is actually perfect.  Not too much, not too little.  In fact, I'd rename these to the Perfect "Amount of" Bass Earphones.  The sound is the closest I can get to my Sennheiser HD-25s, they're not better, but they compliment each other nicely.  The highs are really smooth, giving it a nice refined sound.  I wouldn't say these headphones are dark, but there seems to be more emphasis on the mids and bass over the treble, on the other hand, the trade off is that it makes the vocals clear and never piercing.

I hooked them up to my LDI+ and they sounded even better.  I was kind of surprised the difference a full size amp made.  My Nuforce Icon mobile only gave it a small boost.  I was thinking of buying a better portable amp for work (ibasso maybe?) so I can enjoy these to their best potential.  But even out of my iPhone or iPods, it still sounds great.

If anyone is on the fence about what to buy in the sub 100 range, I'd go with these hands down. I should also note that the weight and fit make them one of the most comfortable IEMs I've ever worn (disclaimer: I've never owned customs).  The deeper than usual insertion might take some getting used to, but like I said before, it's more than the average IEM, but nothing like Etys and such.

I'm not even sure I'll open the S4is I ordered the other day.  I love them so much that I cannot fathom another set of IEMs taking time away from them.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #2,232 of 3,308
Quote:
If you liked the PFEs doubt you'll like the S4i...

Agree. S4 is a significant downgrade from PFE-PB.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #2,233 of 3,308

Quote:
Quote:
If you liked the PFEs doubt you'll like the S4i...

Agree. S4 is a significant downgrade from PFE-PB.

fixed my typos

and ...

I gave the S4s a listen right before I bought the PBEs and thought they sounded good.  It had a fun sound to it.

Anyway, I think I'm going to sell them on eBay or something and buy an amp for my PBEs instead.

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #2,234 of 3,308
Do any of you have any amp recommendations?

I really like the sound from my LDI+ but I'm not taking that to work.  it doesn't have to be pocketable but nothing full sized either.

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #2,235 of 3,308
Very pleased to read that pfe 012 has similarities with senn hd 25 1 since hd has been my groovy phone for a long time and despite owning denons d2000 it was much enjoyable to to listen, that punchy controlled bass has grown to my heart :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back