Philly signs Vick.
Aug 14, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #16 of 85
I love animals, they're delicious.

Aug 14, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #17 of 85
Stallworth as well, but Little got absolutely NO punishment. It just grinds my gears.

Aug 14, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #18 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean like Donte Stallworth, who got drunk and killed a pedestrian, and got only 24 days in jail and 16-game suspension? It does seem like something may be a little out of whack.
wink.gif

Look up the details on Donte Stallworth's case. The prosecution's case was by no means a sure thing and there was very good chance that Stallworth would have gotten off had the case gone to court. Compare this to the Vick case where the prosecution had an air tight case against him with the promise of a lot more years behind bars if he didn't cooperate.

Things like that have a tendency of affecting plea bargain terms...

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #19 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that I will get ripped apart for this, because people really love dogs. That said, I don't think that it is a big deal. I think that what he did was wrong and a little sick, but he did his time. I don't think that harming a dog should put you out of your profession for life. People are more important than dogs.

Wouldn't it be great if people were as concerned with human children as they are with Puuuuupeeeeeezzz!

Not likely to happen.

If most Americans were as concerned about this little girl as they are about someones freakin' dog, I might be with them. As for me, I'd kill, pluck, and roast that vulture, if I could, and feed it to that poor child.
Quote:

Also, many NFL players do far, far worse and get away with it. I personally stopped watching Rams games after Leonard little killed one person and seriously injured another in TWO SEPARATE drunk driving accidents and everyone just looked the other way and he never saw even a slap on the wrist. At the same time, a bunch of teams said they wouldn't sign Vick about the dog thing, for which he went to jail? Peoples priorities are out of whack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean like Donte Stallworth, who got drunk and killed a pedestrian, and got only 24 days in jail and 16-game suspension? It does seem like something may be a little out of whack.
wink.gif

Egggzacktally.

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #20 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look up the details on Donte Stallworth's case. The prosecution's case was by no means a sure thing and there was very good chance that Stallworth would have gotten off had the case gone to court. Compare this to the Vick case where the prosecution had an air tight case against him with the promise of a lot more years behind bars if he didn't cooperate.

Things like that have a tendency of affecting plea bargain terms...

It was announced today that he is suspended for the entire season. I guess killing someone while driving drunk is more serious to the NFL than to the local authorities where ever he ran over the pedestrian.

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #21 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could be OK with Vick if he takes full responsibility for what he did, denounces it, swears to never do it again, then works for animal rights and, hopefully, puts part of his salary towards animal rescue and shelters.

I believe Vick for all purposes is doing all the things above and then some. 60 minutes will be airing Sunday their interview with Vick and everything that is being said about it is that he appears genuinely remorseful. He was asked a question whether he is more concerned about being back in football or his crime, to which he replied that football doesn't even matter. Part of his reinstatement into the NFL also includes having to do community service projects and work through various animal rights organizations. In Philly the team has already reached out to the various animal organizations for them to work with Vick and they have agreed, the mayor has also been reached out and the mayor is committed to embracing Vick regarding his rehabilitation.

He did a really bad thing, got busted for it, served his time, and has the right to pursue his choice of employment. I do believe our society is a relatively forgiving culture.

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #22 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadcykler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was announced today that he is suspended for the entire season. I guess killing someone while driving drunk is more serious to the NFL than to the local authorities where ever he ran over the pedestrian.

Goodell has the advantage of being able to rule by fiat. Thankfully, our legal system doesn't work that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If most Americans were as concerned about this little girl as they are about someones freakin' dog, I might be with them. As for me, I'd kill, pluck, and roast that vulture, if I could, and feed it to that poor child.

And that still wouldn't save that girl. Or the hundreds of thousands like her in the world. The world isn't concerned, because frankly, the measures that it would take to save her and those like her would be politically impossible to implement.

Practically speaking, worrying about that ain't much different than jaw jacking about Michael Vick and his previous dog ownership. Neither accomplishes anything and at least the Vick story changes every once in a while.

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #23 of 85
all i gotta say is that we have parks specifically for dogs

and we have children with no health benefits

lol my flame suit is off, please bring the heat

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #24 of 85
Sorry the NY Jets did not get their act together and get Vick. Philly made the right decision and he will prove to be a big asset. He is a great quarterback but he had a lack of judgment and now he has a lot to prove and should do really well. I wish him good luck as he served his time and is worth a second chance.

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #25 of 85
Quote:

And that still wouldn't save that girl. Or the hundreds of thousands like her in the world. The world isn't concerned, because frankly, the measures that it would take to save her and those like her would be politically impossible to implement.

True. But I still chafe at all the hand-wringing over the mistreatment of animals, coming mostly from affluent, Western people, who seem indifferent to the brutality visited on so many innocent children around the world.

Quote:

Practically speaking, worrying about that ain't much different than jaw jacking about Michael Vick and his previous dog ownership. Neither accomplishes anything and at least the Vick story changes every once in a while.

Agreed, on a practical level. But I have no room in my heart for kitties and puppies when so many children are treated like garbage in this world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all i gotta say is that we have parks specifically for dogs

and we have children with no health benefits

lol my flame suit is off, please bring the heat

No flame here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Displayman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry the NY Jets did not get their act together and get Vick. Philly made the right decision and he will prove to be a big asset. He is a great quarterback but he had a lack of judgment and now he has a lot to prove and should do really well. I wish him good luck as he served his time and is worth a second chance.

Agreed.

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #27 of 85
I wont repeat all the same posts already, but he something people see as wrong got caught did his time, good call for philly signing him he was talented but wasnt ever gonna do much with the falcons

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #28 of 85
Good for them! [size=xx-small]I guess...[/size]

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #29 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I smell law school.

Is it that obvious?
biggrin.gif

Also, I hope Vick's probation officer stays all over his butt.

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #30 of 85
Quote:

I know that I will get ripped apart for this, because people really love dogs. That said, I don't think that it is a big deal. I think that what he did was wrong and a little sick, but he did his time. I don't think that harming a dog should put you out of your profession for life. People are more important than dogs.

Also, many NFL players do far, far worse and get away with it. I personally stopped watching Rams games after Leonard little killed one person and seriously injured another in TWO SEPARATE drunk driving accidents and everyone just looked the other way and he never saw even a slap on the wrist. At the same time, a bunch of teams said they wouldn't sign Vick about the dog thing, for which he went to jail? Peoples priorities are out of whack.

Also, HappyCamper, are you a Blues fan just because or are you from St. Louis?

So slamming a dog to death, on hard concrete.. Electrocuting a dog with cables..Drowning dogs..Slitting a dogs throat..Hanging dogs is no big deal to you? You do know that serial killers started out killing & torturing animals before moving on to humans right? Vick is no serial killer, but his pyche is twisted, & lack of compassion is frightning. He would also get off throwing 'regular' house dogs/cats into the ring to get off on his trained dogs ripping the poor house pets together..

Littles act was about poor judgment & was unintentional. No, it doesn't excuse the act, & should have been publicized more along with MADD protest.. I'm tired of the, it's ok cause NFL players do worse things then kill & torture animals.. Like we can't walk & chew gum at the same time.

You know how many dogs saved our troops in various wars? (non political) Well, Vick is only good at saving his own ass.. Vick served his time & does deserve a 2nd chance.. But that doesn't mean a NFL team has to sign him. I bet you if it was Reid's dog he slaughtered, he wouldn't have been signed..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back