Phillips Uptown. Should I?
Dec 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Me x3

Member of the Trade: FiiO Store Argentina
Here in Argentina headphones cost normally 50% more in dollars than in amazon and sometimes a 100% more. Except some products you have to look for really carefully.

Yesterday I tried Shure's SRH 840, they sound good (quite strident at high volume, not very good for power or synphonic metal -at least for me, quite annoying, you know) and built quality was also very good but they just don't worth 340 dollars (wich is their price here)
Then I get to this great looking UPTOWN's wich costs 149 dollars in amazon and 110 dollars here. At first sight I though 'fashion stuff', not for me. But then I read some reviews of people talking about their nice soundtage and bass.
Something that worries me: Maximum power input: Only 30 mW (I don't know if that means 30mW per channel or 15mW per channel)
My Ipod has 30mW max output per channel as far as I know. Will Uptown's break easily for using them at their limit?

Sometimes happens that you pay for the aspect of a product, and not for how they do what they are supposed to be designed to do. One of my brothers owns a pair of Marshall Majors Headphones, he payed about 100 dollars for them instead of 125 as they were in amazon in those days. But that was still not a very good deal because they just don't sound as 125 dollar headphones neither 100 dollar ones.

I have got a pair of AKG K44's closed headphones that I like but I want to add a pair of headphones with more bass. I mean wich fits better with 25Hz-60Hz frequencies.

After all, another option (maybe not for outstanding bass response but yes maybe to make a good deal) are Beyerdynamic Dtx 501 p wich costs 99 dollars in amazon and 110 here.

I can't try UPTOWN's neither DTX501's

Should I buy Uptown's? Are they a 50 dollar headphones with that stunning looks or something else?
Any suggestions?

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 7
The Uptowns are not bassy headphones. Warm sound and punchy bass, so it is there, but it lacks both presence and extension. If you want thumpin' bass for rap hip-hop and dubstep, this is NOT it.

However, they will be a nice upgrade from the K44. Overall a wonderful tone, lovely mids and highs. The only problem for me is that it isolates a bit poorly, and like the K550, if you lose a good seal then the bass becomes non-existent. Not a problem unless you intended to use them for daily trips to classes like I did.

Also, they are fairly easy to drive. I found that my iphone had to be at near max volume for me, but certainly doable.

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the answer! I think I won't buy Uptown's after that. I also have Yamaha HPH-200 and their mids and highs are really accurate. This time I'm looking for quite bassy headphones.

Greetings!

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 7
Great! I look forward to your opinion!
That stunning looks has caught my attention very much.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Okay, only messed with the Nano tonight, other phone owners are out and about.

The iPod has no trouble providing power to the Uptowns. Between using just the 6G Nano and the 6G Nano + FiiO E6, I much prefer the FiiO E6 to just the Nano by itself, but you were not asking about sound quality. It might be the Sam Adams speaking, but I don't know how to measure the output mW of my Nano; I don't think at normal and higher-than-normal volumes it will be enough to cause damage to the Uptowns' drivers. Keep in mind that the 6G Nano can get extremely loud through the Uptowns. You will not be listening to it at more than, say, 50-60% max volume. I just turned my Nano volume to max (not wearing the headphones of course), and it's impressive how loud it can make the Uptowns.

I hope this helps.

On a side note, I got my Uptowns for < $80 shipped and don't own any headphones more expensive. I don't know if it is "worth" the $110 you would pay. I love these headphones, though, and do not regret buying them at all.

Second side note: I agree with what others have said about the seal. A lot of the Uptowns' sound depends on the seal, not just the bass. If you turn your head enough and break the seal, you will immediately know the difference. The Uptowns are good for sitting down or light movement, but not good for walking or moving a lot because each little break in the seal will significantly change the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back