Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Aug 23, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #1,456 of 2,061
Anyone who thinks their 9500s are too bright (I do, even with felt pads) should try UE Buffer Jack. I got mine for $10 shipped hoping to use it with Thinksound rain3 IEMs and Centrance DACmini CX (w the 1 Ohm mod) to get more useful volume control range and lower the noise floor. Didn't like how it sounded with the IEMs as the sound became more dull, but tried it with the 9500s and it felt just right, the brightness is gone and a lot of details are remaining without being in your face (I kept the felt pads), overall much smoother presentation now. I don't know if Buffer Jack is an impedance adapter or a voltage divider, but it is one of the 2 and it lowers the signal level a bit. I suspect the results can be amp dependent but it really helped in my case.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #1,457 of 2,061
Anyone who thinks their 9500s are too bright (I do, even with felt pads) should try UE Buffer Jack. I got mine for $10 shipped hoping to use it with Thinksound rain3 IEMs and Centrance DACmini CX (w the 1 Ohm mod) to get more useful volume control range and lower the noise floor. Didn't like how it sounded with the IEMs as the sound became more dull, but tried it with the 9500s and it felt just right, the brightness is gone and a lot of details are remaining without being in your face (I kept the felt pads), overall much smoother presentation now. I don't know if Buffer Jack is an impedance adapter or a voltage divider, but it is one of the 2 and it lowers the signal level a bit. I suspect the results can be amp dependent but it really helped in my case.

Interesting...thanks for the tip!

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #1,459 of 2,061
Damn, been a good 3 years since I started this thread, haha. Was quite a surprise to see it still thriving today! :beyersmile:

Thought I'd chime in to say a huge thanks to whoever's idea it was to do the HM5 pads swap; was a great, cheap and easy mod to get a bit more out of these budget cans. :beerchug:

Audio_Rig_2017.jpg

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #1,460 of 2,061
Finally got them, the cheap hybrids. Found out the listing on Amazon was incorrect. Ordered the pleather and got the hybrids. The first time I ordered the hybrids I got the pleaters. Going to try this on later today.

YuScNnx.jpg

Ucrk5UQ.jpg

How are you liking the hybrid pads from Senitek? I have the cloth ones and I like them, but I kind of prefer the sound of my HM5 hybrids just a bit more. I couldn't find the hybrid ones on Amazon, they only show cloth, velour, and pleather, no hybrid.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #1,461 of 2,061
How are you liking the hybrid pads from Senitek? I have the cloth ones and I like them, but I kind of prefer the sound of my HM5 hybrids just a bit more. I couldn't find the hybrid ones on Amazon, they only show cloth, velour, and pleather, no hybrid.

I like them. I placed an order for the pleathers and got these. Looks like amazon mixed up the item numbers on their end.

Currently using the Aduze leather pads, since my M1060s are being replaced. These are perfect.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #1,462 of 2,061
I like them. I placed an order for the pleathers and got these. Looks like amazon mixed up the item numbers on their end.

Currently using the Aduze leather pads, since my M1060s are being replaced. These are perfect.
would you happen to know which is the correct item number to order for the hybrids?

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #1,464 of 2,061
How long ago did you order the pleathers? I can't find the listing for the hybrids.
I think you misunderstood me. I ordered the cloth ones a few days after you posted about them, I've been using them. I wanted to try the hybrids, but I haven't seen them listed so I was wondering how you managed to get them. :) I thought maybe if you had the proper item number...

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #1,465 of 2,061
I think you misunderstood me. I ordered the cloth ones a few days after you posted about them, I've been using them. I wanted to try the hybrids, but I haven't seen them listed so I was wondering how you managed to get them. :) I thought maybe if you had the proper item number...

I actually didn't even put an order for the hybrids. I placed an order for the pleathers and amazon sent me hybrids. The hybrids are tagged with the pleather item number.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #1,466 of 2,061
I actually didn't even put an order for the hybrids. I placed an order for the pleathers and amazon sent me hybrids. The hybrids are tagged with the pleather item number.
I thought you had ordered hybrid and got pleather, so then you ordered pleather to get the hybrids...but there was never a link for hybrids?!....this is like the Inception of earpad discussions...
so...if you want hybrids order pleather and if you want pleather, go F' yourself! ( I mean, it is an Amazon seller)
(I'm imagining the conversation I am going to have if I order pleather and get pleather, "hey, you sent me the correct item dammit! I wanted you to screw up my order like you did for the other guy!)

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #1,467 of 2,061
Yea that lol. First order placed was for the hybrids and the listing was gone right after. I figured I had ordered the last set.

If the Audeze pads didn't cost more than the headphones I would keep those on.

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #1,468 of 2,061
The SHP's have pretty much collected dust while I've owned HD650, Nighthawk, Isine 20, Elear, and done lots of demo's. I recently sold my last pair of cans, Elear, to get a Stax system, and while I'm waiting for the Stax I've been using the SHP's.
In stock form I feel like they have an ok+ soundstage width but zero depth/vertical. Tonality is too bright for me, sounds fake-detailed and grainy, bass is too light. Great sounding for the price you pay, but my spoiled ears could barely enjoy listening to them.

Then I tried putting on some HM5 pads I had laying around (flat velour and angled pleather), and boy what a difference!
First I tried the flat velours, since they were the most similar to the stock pads. The velours brought some soundstage depth and also improved the width ever so slightly. The biggest change was the tonality, they've warmed up and is now quite pleasing to listen to out of a pretty warm amp (Marantz PM5005).

Next I tried the angled pleathers, and I was rather sceptical. Changing both pad material and shape so drastically is usually not a great idea, but I tried anyway:
Holy s**t what happened! These sound so much better now!!
Soundstage is expanded A LOT, both in width and especially in depth. On this point they're not far off, and maybe on par with, the Elear. Tonality is much more to my liking, pretty balanced with a dark tilt. Bass is powerful, mids are a little sucked-out unfortunately, highs are way less strident. They don't sound particularly grainy or "fake-detailed" to me anymore, just really pleasing. Overall, I think these could match my old HD650's (just going from memory). The overall quality (resolution, balance, dynamics etc.) isn't up to the level of the Elear, but the fact that they're 1/10 of the price (including pads) is insane. Comfort has gone up a lot too.

Aug 29, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #1,469 of 2,061
The SHP's have pretty much collected dust while I've owned HD650, Nighthawk, Isine 20, Elear, and done lots of demo's. I recently sold my last pair of cans, Elear, to get a Stax system, and while I'm waiting for the Stax I've been using the SHP's.
In stock form I feel like they have an ok+ soundstage width but zero depth/vertical. Tonality is too bright for me, sounds fake-detailed and grainy, bass is too light. Great sounding for the price you pay, but my spoiled ears could barely enjoy listening to them.

Then I tried putting on some HM5 pads I had laying around (flat velour and angled pleather), and boy what a difference!
First I tried the flat velours, since they were the most similar to the stock pads. The velours brought some soundstage depth and also improved the width ever so slightly. The biggest change was the tonality, they've warmed up and is now quite pleasing to listen to out of a pretty warm amp (Marantz PM5005).

Next I tried the angled pleathers, and I was rather sceptical. Changing both pad material and shape so drastically is usually not a great idea, but I tried anyway:
Soundstage is expanded A LOT, both in width and especially in depth. On this point they're not far off, and maybe on par with, the Elear. Tonality is much more to my liking, pretty balanced with a dark tilt. Bass is powerful, mids are a little sucked-out unfortunately, highs are way less strident. They don't sound particularly grainy or "fake-detailed" to me anymore, just really pleasing. Overall, I think these could match my old HD650's (just going from memory). The overall quality (resolution, balance, dynamics etc.) isn't up to the level of the Elear, but the fact that they're 1/10 of the price (including pads) is insane. Comfort has gone up a lot too.
OK. Now you have gone and done it! I will give my pair one last chance. Lol. They have been boxed up for sale about a year. Moved to another state last year and just forgot about listing them. Thanks for the post! For the price I really wanted to like them, but they became redundant with my other hp's. Maybe I will keep after trying the new pads. Will be my first experience swapping pads as I always thought the stocks should be the best. I did not want to start fervently swapping pads chasing incremental improvement. Plus the cost. But now you have convinced me to give it a try. Thanks again!

Aug 29, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #1,470 of 2,061

I have the NVX pleather pads on mine (same as the HM5, just a little more soft and plush) and the sound is so different from stock, much much better in my opinion. I feel bad for people who have the 9500s and don't like them because of completely fixable flaws. Too bright, not enough bass, soundstage not to your liking? All simple fixes just swap the pads. I really like my 9500s with the right pads....and with an amp, it's love.
I don't get why people think the sound is going to be ruined by using pads different than the stock ones because it seems as if MOST headphones under a couple of hundred dollars don't have the 'right' pads anyway. I think for most manufacturers the last consideration is the earpads. Show me 10 headphones under $100 and I bet 8 of them will improve with better pads. And I don't mean the ones made of unicorn hide and filled with toddlers dreams; you can improve the sound of most headphones for less than $20.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back