Philips HP890 to Senn HD650
Nov 24, 2004 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

dknightd

500+ Head-Fier
As a good head-fi'er I'm here to give you my impressions of my latest can upgrade.

Some background might be useful. A couple of years ago I came to this site looking for information on upgrading from my very old Senn 430 cans. Based on what I'd auditioned locally, I knew I liked the Senn 580/600 sound signature, but they were more than I wanted to spend back then since I didn't expect I'd use headphones much (I really prefer speakers). I didn't like the grato cans, and there wasn't really much else I liked locally that fit my $100 budget. I ended up buying Philips HP890 from Meier Audio. Right off the bat I liked the HP890. They had good frequency response. Bass was deep, if somewhat loose. Mids and treble were good (though sometimes the treble could get fatiguing). There were no obvious problems with peaks or dips in frequency response, and, they had exceptional imaging and staging. After a week of burn in the strengths remained, and the weaknesses became less evident. I was happy. Two years later they seemed to sound even better, and, they fit me like a pair of used jeans. But I found myself wanting more. As my speakers continued to improve (I've been working on refining basically the same design for 20 some odd years and have it pretty well tuned to what I like), and I found myself listening to headphones more and more, it was time to get the headphones back up to speaker levels.

I bought a Senn 650 from Todd (the vinyl junkie - see link at the top of the page) for $329 for my wife to give me for Chistmas :wink:. Mostly I use headphones from an M-Audio Audiophile firewire, being fed from iTunes on a Mac. I mostly listen to reggae, classic rock, jam bands, blues, folk, jazz (and some occasional classical). The bass on the hd650 is just as deep as the 890, but it is *much* tighter. The mids and treble on the 650 are smoother and more detailed than the 890. There is no hint of the treble courseness that the 890 occasionally exhibit. I hear details with the 650 that were not apparent with the 890 (if I go back and listen I can find them with the 890, but they are not as obvious). Separation of instruments is much better in the 650. One problem with the 890 was that when bass lines got complicated, and had several instruments contributing, it was sometimes difficult to sort them out. Reggae also has lots of small percussion instrument parts - the hd650 let each bang of sticks, or tink of bell, come through clearly. One thing I don't like about the 650 is having a cord to each ear. They don't yet have that "old shoe" comfort factor my 890 did - they are comfortable, and I'm sure I'll get used to the different feel, and the extra cord (one thing about having a single cord is it is very easy to tell which side goes where on your head). The 650 are very revealing. Good recordings sound great, poor recordings sound like crap. With the hp890 good recordings are just good, and poor ones are just poor. With the 650 good is better, and worse is worse.
Other observations - the difference between 890 and 650 is small at low volumes, but becomes more evident as I turn it up. Also, I find myself listening at lower volume settings with the 650, I guess I can hear the detail I want at lower volumes than before - this is a good thing.

As I said, I mostly use headphones from my computer. The M-Audio is mid-fi at best (when I want to listen seriously I still put on a Cd or LP and listen to my main stereo). I have the M-audio device connected to my speaker stereo, but it doesn't match my other sources (I'm not sure if this is due to the DAC, or the line out op-amps, used in the M-audio). I'm not (yet) using a dedicated headphone amp - I'm using the one built into the maudio. I thought the 650 would be harder to drive, but, from that headphone jack the volume of both 890 and 650 is about the same. I briefly tried comparing the headphone jack of the m-audio to my receiver. My receiver (Yamaha rx777 works great with speakers, but I've never liked its headphone output - I think it is just a 470 ohm resister put across the speaker ouput - the speakers sound great, the headphone output sucks). Using the 890 I carefully matched the volume between m-audio and yamaha jack. I was instantly reminded why I didn't like the headphone jack on the yamaha - the bass on the 890 gets really muddy on the yamaha. So then I plugged in the 650 to the yamaha. To my surprise the 650 was much louder when fed from the yamaha. The sound quality was also much better compared to the 890.

Well, I;ve been rambling for quite a while, and I need to leave soon, but let me give you one final thought. The Senn HD650 is potentially a very expensive upgrade. The cost of the cans is not too bad, but I fear they will soon cause more money to depart my wallet.
1) Like I said I mostly use a computer with my cans. I've got most of my music on my computer. I love the point and click interface to music. When I started ripping my cd's I did some abx testing and found I could easily tell 128mp3 from original, I could tell some 192kps from original, I couldn't tell any of my samples at 256 kps mps from original, so I decided to rip everything at 320. Random sample comparisons since then suggested everything is OK. But now I have these new, very revealing, headphones. I'm going to have to reevaluate using mp3 at all. If it turns out 320 kbs mp3 are no longer indistinguishable from original, I'll have to rerip everything. I've got about 350GB of tunes on my computer, so reripping will cost a lot of time, and more disk space.
2) The m-audio device has been OK up to now. The new cans might require to me to upgrade. I might need a dedicated headphone amplifier, and perhaps a dedicated DAC
3) I might need to start upgrading my speaker stereo again - Aack!

So with the good comes some additional issues. But I like my new cans so I keep them and deal with it (slowly I hope - that is all my wallet can afford and I will not get in debt for this…)

Got to go, no time to edit. I could delete, but think I'll just post what I've got. Please ignore typos and other flaws.

David

Nov 24, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

I've got about 350GB of tunes on my computer

blink.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 22
hehe... that's great : )

Just curious?

Do you mind putting all your music into the Winamp... and then sending,posting the HTML file? : )

I'd love to look at all your music! 350GB is a lot!

Oh, I'm learning a lot about music on these forums lately : )... but I've found, I'm becoming quite ... a prig?... too elitist?... I use to enjoy music, for the music itself ..... oh well. Time will tell. And I hope one day the Sennheiser 600+'s land into my lap.

Nov 24, 2004 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 22
nice of you to share your experience. this just goes to show that HP890 does very well for its price. winner! i've got my HD580 already..but i still don't feel like parting with my HP890..least not yet

Nov 24, 2004 at 1:10 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enricht
hehe... that's great : )
I'd love to look at all your music! 350GB is a lot!

You mean you want to look at what is in my library? I don't use winamp, but I can probably generate a list if you like. Obviously I can't give the music...

Edit: I made a list of the albums in my library. You can find it here http://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff.../directory.txt There is some stuff in there that I actually don't listen to (my kids CD's are part of the library)

About 1/3 of my library are live recordings obtained from archive.org.
If you like concert recordings you should check out archive.org - huge repostitory of legal "bootlegs". Things sure have improved since we used to swap cassette tapes... http://www.archive.org/audio/etreeli...llection=etree

ixeo, I agree, the hp890 is a good value.

Dec 19, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by dknightd
ixeo, I agree, the hp890 is a good value.

Just got my 890 today, really can't resist ... at 1/9 price of 650 they're just too good to be true. Can't imagine one can get this kind of build and sound quality for slightly less money than porta pro ! Philips must've been losing money with this one ... it's like getting a phones hanger and got the phones for free.

Dec 19, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 22
While I'm sure you know of your options regarding lossless formats (Monkey's Audio, FLAC), you might also do some testing with Ogg Vorbis at high quality levels (it goes up to ~500kbps VBR at -q10, as I recall), or even Musepack (I don't have any experience encoding to this, but I hear some good things). Could save you some space over lossless formats (if that's a concern) if your ears can't tell the difference.

Dec 19, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 22
Helter Skelter (is that from the Beatles or U2's cover, or something else?),
So far the 320 kbs mp3 seems to be holding up OK. I've reripped a few things just on principle but casual listening doesn't show any obvious difference. I have not yet done a careful comparison between 320mp3 and lossless but if I find any difference at all I'll start reripping my favorites lossless. Thanks for your input on other lossy formats, but, if I have to do this again I'm going lossless. 320mp3 sounds pretty good but if I have to rip again I'm not going to mess around. Luckily I've been keeping the LP's I've ripped so far as lossless 44kbps16bit (cd quality) - I hope I don't regret not saving them at 192kbps24bit. Space and time are both big issues...

Dec 19, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

What did you pay for them?

I paid about $45 here (indo is quite close to malaysia =)

I haven't done extensive listening yet and I won't make a good reviewer ... in short I heard good tonal balance, loose but heavy bass plus the thing that strikes immediately is sibilance - while high freq extension is a bit limited. These all in comparison to my 'reference' 595 =) I believe you've described them extremely well and although I haven't tried 890's with complicated bass lines, overall I agree with your points. It's difficult to beat 650 for details all over ... but then this is at almost 10x the price ... at least we deserve to receive a hanger with 650.
eggosmile.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

My 650's are hanging from $.02 of bailing wire, and a piece of leftover rubber hose
cool.gif

I'll bet your review of 890 vs 595 and 580 would be appreciated.

edit: btw the sibilance will likely go away after many (50? I can't remember) hours of use

Dec 19, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 22
Unless I missed something, he's using a Mac (and using iTunes), so the Winamp, Monkeys, etc. suggestions don't really work out.

Dknightd, I have a somewhat similar setup. The cheapest major tweak I've ever done (besides pads on a Grado) was changing the power supply (to a Stancor) on the Audiophile USB. Not sure if you'll get similar results with the Firewire version, but worth a look. I remember thinking after the change M-Audios headphone jack nearly equaled a Mint amp I owned at the time (had different phones). You have to splice the cable and attach the old tip.

What encoder are you using for MP3s? If you're you're using iTunes (branched FhG), you may want to change going forward to the free iTunes-LAME plugin (see sig). There's also obviously AAC. I find Apple Lossless and 256 AAC very difficult to tell the difference. As for 256 MP3 and uncompressed/lossless, only your ears know for sure. It's up to you to know if it's worth the work to go back. I've done it couple of times, so I know it's a pain. I just kept an eye on DealMac.com until an external drive came up on sale (LeCie/Porche models are nice) and started loading everything ALAC from there.

I just ordered a Zu cable on Friday, so can't comment on that change, but are you EQing the sound (even iTunes EQ)? I'm amazed at how tweakable the HD650 is to get just the right sound you desire. This somewhat offsets the amp need...

... but it's still there. There's decent cheap amps out there. I haven't heard a recent SuperMacro version, but a beta powered the Senn nicely. And well I'm still in love with the SR71.

Good luck. Upgrading does kinda become a trap. And that's for the concert link.

Dec 19, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Helter Skelter (is that from the Beatles or U2's cover, or something else?)

The Beatles, yes. Though I tend to listen to more Pink Floyd these days.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can fully sympathize on space concerns, heh. As for speed, FLAC and APE both seem to be pretty quick to encode to.

And thanks for the archive.org link, that's quite the goldmine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back