Philips HP550 review
Oct 26, 2001 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

blr

500+ Head-Fier
First of all I should say this is not one of the new phones in the Philips line recently discussed. HP550s are about 2 years old closed, foldable phones Philips designed for portable use. I bought them almost out of impulse. Well, almost. I auditioned them a year ago and liked them. Now, when I saw them for almost half of their initial retail price the impulse kicked in and… I’m a proud owner of these babies. I paid less than 30$ for these (about 28 exactly), so keep this in mind throughout the review. I mean, these are supposed to be cheap portable phones, nothing more. We’ll see if that’s the case. Also, I believe they’re not fully broken in yet. They’ve had about 7-8 hours in total, playing time. Well, enough intros, here’s the review.

Build etc.
HP550 are closed back cans Philips clearly intended for portable use. The earcups fold inside to give a rather small package. The earcups themselves are quite large for portable cans, an obvious circum aural design. The comfort is very good. The polyester-covered earpads are soft and surround my ears fully, with some space to spare. Mind that I have rather small ears. The isolation is about average for closed back phones, i.e. comfortable for downtown listening without being dangerous (car horns etc.). Build quality is good for the price, but not exceptional. Most of the phones are made of (not very cheap) plastic. The only metal parts actually are the shafts that earcups attach to. They are not fiddly, but don’t expect them to take a lot of irresponsible handling. In my backpack they’re gonna last (I hope) long enough.
Some specs:
Imedance: 32 Ohms
Sensitivity: 102 dB@1mV (they’re easy to drive indeed even for a 5 mW portable)
Cord: 1.5 m OFC terminated to mini plug (not gold plated) 6.3mm adapter provided. Attached to both earpieces.
Driver: 40 mm diaphragm with neodymium magnet.

Sound
This is where the HP550 blew me away. Let’s face it, there are not that many closed phones out there suitable for portable use that sound good, let alone for 30 bucks. I stress the word CLOSED. If you live in a big noisy city closed cans are the way to go for portable use. I sold my Grados SR60 after a year of frustration, not being able to hear their good sound in the downtown traffic. You get the point.
For the purpose of this review I drove the Philies out of a large variety of sources starting from my 5mW MD portable through the phone jacks of several CD and MD portables and decks and finally out of an X-CanV2 connected to a Marantz CD6000 OSE (my primary headphone system). I compared them to some all time portable favourites like Koss PortaPro, Sony MDR888 and Pro2 PH1000. If I have to describe HP550 in one word, I’d be balanced. Actually, I need at least two words, balanced and detailed. First of all, nothing is sticking out. The bass is tight and well controlled. This is where the Philips wins over Koss. PortPros sound bloated in comparison. Portas bass just jumps over the lower mids and the overall effect is a lack of resolution. Here’s the place to say, if you like overblown bass, look elsewhere. HP550 have tight and well controlled bass, not at all boomy. It goes deep, but without the typical midbass coloration , which gives the impression of a strong and impactful bass. The midrange is an a word excellent. Both present and articulate. There are tons of details to be enjoyed there. I was amazed how natural some male vocals sounded out of the X-CanV2. This is yet another strange thing. I mean, you wouldn’t expect 30 bucks portable phones to respond so well to improved amplification, but these do, much better than any other portable phone I tested tonight. The treble is crisp without being harsh. I could hear details from my MDs I never heard before (out of the portable that is) The sounstage is also impressively large for a closed cans at this price. The overall sound is highly detailed articulate and at the same time well balanced from top to bottom. Think of something like Beyer DT831 in a portable format. Speaking of what, I even dared to compare the HD550 the DT831. Well, they do not have the same soundtage and detail, but they’re not irritatingly bad in an A/B test, go figure.

Conclusions
CHECK THEM OUT. I saw Amazon has them for a good price. These are my new favourite portable cans. They have almost everything, good sound practical design. I wish they were a bit sturdier, but c’mon…30 bucks.

Oct 26, 2001 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 86
Woah!!!

Baby DT831's....portable, easy to drive....

how much sound do they block out?

So, their direct competition would be Koss UR-30's and Sony EX70's, and Denon 210's and 350's?

*pause*

I just bought the EX70's. And I have the 831's. And these should be baiscally a closed version of the KSC-35's? DANGIT!

oh, screw it, I'll just get the V6's.

Or use the 831's portably. I do that, sometimes.

Oct 26, 2001 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 86
Glue, you make no sense at all
smily_headphones1.gif

anyways, sound like a great buy! be looking around for those, Philips is usually quite easy to get around here (Dutch company, remember
smily_headphones1.gif
) would be nice to have a pair of closed cans again.

Oct 26, 2001 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 86
Thanx.

McBiff, Teknikmagasinet has them for 299SEK. Check all 3 stores downtown, since they run out of stock frequently.

Gluegun, Koss sells here for insane prices. Everything that has a tag "Made in USA" is very expensive in Europe, double taxation etc. Haven't heard EX70 but if you have DT831 and an amp look nofurther. Directly out of a portable however...

Oct 26, 2001 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 86
Alright. I need small, portable, with isolation, and drivable out of a CT470.

I Chose the MDR-EX70's, which will be a step down from my other portable headphones, the Koss KSC-35's.

Now. These seem philips seem to be a "cheap V6" (which seems to be a "Cheap DT831") type of headphone, presumably of roughly the same quality of the KSC-35's (I compared the 35's to the DT831's, they're pretty close if you do a REALLY quick listen; both are balanced, nothing really stands out. If these are comparable to the DT831's, they're comperable to the KSC-35's.) HOWEVER, if these are roughly the size of teh Sony MDR-V6, but are just cheaper and sound a little worse, maybe I should just get the V6's.

Thoughts?

Oct 26, 2001 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 86
Take it easy guys. I didn't want to start any war here, just posted a review.
BTW just did an hour long comparison of my new Philips against DT831 and finally against HD600 (as a reference) out of the X-CanV2.
Let me tell you (I hope I'm not getting insane) the Beyers will be for sale soon. I know what you're thinking "The guy is overexcited over his new cheap cans" NO NO NO! I ve had enough phones over the years and I know what I'm talking about. Namely, DT 831 are terribly colored in the high mids. The treble is OK the high mids are wrong. This makes them sound sort of shrill. Perhaps the amp contributes to this as well (I know X-CanV2 with stock tubes has a bit of an accent in the high mids) but my other phones do not sound like this out of the same amp.

Oct 26, 2001 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 86
Hmm, does this review remind anybody of what everybody was hoping for w/ MacDEF's Labtec 840 review?

Oct 27, 2001 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 86
dhwilkin,
as I said I'm not getting over excited. The only thing I wanted to do was to let you people now that there is aheadphone out there that costs not much more than 2 CDs and sounds good. My last post about DT831 was based on comprisons more with HD600. I just had a reason to do it and I happened to discover that a 30 $ headphones can be less obviously colored than 200 $ ones, both compared to a 300 $ HD600, which I used as areference.
Now, obviously DT831 still have their good sides. Nicely resolved bass, huge soundtage for closed cans, good detail, just that now I know what's wrong with them.

Oct 27, 2001 at 3:12 AM Post #14 of 86
Well, Philips headphones aren't widely distributed in the U.S., but my local Target discount department store carries the HP-550, on sale for $24.99 (regularly $29.99). If it's better than either of the Koss UR-## series headphones, then I'd rethink my opinion about cheap closed headphones...
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2001 at 6:14 AM Post #15 of 86
Blr,

I'm confused. Didn't you write the comment below when someone asked about the same exact headphone?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ighlight=hp550
Quote:

These are widely available in Sweden. I've auditioned them several times. They're in fact not as fragile as they look in the picture. Good for portable use, they are easily driven and fold to an amazingly small ball. However the sound isn't that good. As with any other Philips cans I've ever tried including their earbudes there is a profound treble roll-off. This makes them sound dull and shut in. The bass and midrange are OK. Shame about the treble since they could have been a nice portable phones.

I guess people can change their minds even if it is 180 degrees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back