Philips Golden Ears challenge
Feb 16, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #31 of 331
  Trying silver ears, everything was cool except mp3 and reverb...

What do you guys listen out for?

mp3: Got no idea (lol lucky I'm not a huge believer in flac or 24/96 or else i'll be suiciding)

reverb: Do you listen to the background organ and see if it is sounding crisp or not?

:S

Reverb was fine, but I can't get mp3 artifacts for the life of me. Reverb is like an echo--why you think you sing 'better' in the shower.

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #32 of 331
  Trying silver ears, everything was cool except mp3 and reverb...

What do you guys listen out for?

mp3: Got no idea (lol lucky I'm not a huge believer in flac or 24/96 or else i'll be suiciding)

reverb: Do you listen to the background organ and see if it is sounding crisp or not?

:S

Listen to the cymbals and there is a subtle difference.  Pick the one that sounds a little softer or blurrier.

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #33 of 331
That was surprisingly fun! Thanks for sharing.

edit: that last timbre question on basic was tough! 

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #34 of 331
I'm still working on it right now. Been using the AD700 and E10.

Needless to say, I'm stuck on the bass section in golden ears. That and the frequency bands.

I thought the loudness sections were by far the easiest. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #36 of 331
These tests are revealing to me how much my high-frequency hearing has been affected by aging - and I've never worked in loud environments and mostly avoided loud concerts.

I agree, the hardest sections for me were the ones that involved high frequencies.

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #38 of 331
Tried the challenge yesterday and I was able to get through Silver Ears on my cheap Logitech computer speakers, let's see what the Golden Ears section can do. Would love to use headphones for these but a little challenge is why I keep on using my desktop speakers.

The codec and the reverb was the most toughest for me with the soundstage caught me off guard a little.

Also, the tracks are awesome! I am enjoying every track it used.

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #39 of 331
Done​

image26.jpg

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #41 of 331
I finished gold yesterday, I had been stuck at the frequency bands for a while but yesterday I finally did it, must have had a good (h)ear day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back