Philips Golden Ears challenge
Oct 10, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #241 of 331
I agree.  Training and a quiet room.  PX-100 with a cheap Samsung Chromebook is the same for me as using more expensive equipment in my inventory.  Though, I've only had the time/patience to go through the midway part of Silver.  I don't think I could pass Gold, but not because of the equipment, it would be due to my hearing.

I'll have to create an account one day so I can continue where I left off.  

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #242 of 331
I had the honor of meeting Philips' Head of Acoustics and Sound here in Korea through an event and I did not know that they actually use this Golden Ears Test. Employees of Philips will take the test to see if their eligible for blind testing their own products against other products. They have to be at Golden Ears or Platiunum Ears level to be a tester...is what he told me.

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #243 of 331
correct, but that's been known for quite a while. Tyll and Headfonia have reported that last year already. Too bad we can't go Platinum!

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #246 of 331

Setup: Superlux HD668B straight from Toshiba Laptop, with Equalizer APO to reduce the harsh treble on the 668B, and most of the time I was with crossfeed on just because I'm used to it (took it off for some of the spectral tests). Took me about an hour and a half, though I have an advantage since I have used Harman how to listen before. Speaking of which, has it been linked to in this thread? it's a bit more challenging than golden ears IMO: http://harmanhowtolisten.blogspot.co.il/

Edit: Hardest test for me was probably mp3 artifacts, though I didn't make any mistakes, just took a while. My first mistake was in frequency bands in music (in which I made several mistakes), and I also made one mistake in low frequency extension.
Also, here are the Equalizer APO files I use for the HD668B for those interested:

EQ:
Preamp: -6 dB
Filter 1: ON Pk Fc 2300 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 0.9
Filter 2: ON Pk Fc 5500 Hz Gain -6 dB Q 5
Filter 3: ON Pk Fc 9000 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 1
Filter 4: ON HSC 23 dB Fc 5300 Hz Gain -6 dB
Filter 5: ON LS 12 dB Fc 45 Hz Gain 6 dB

Crossfeed:
Copy: L2=L R2=R
Channel: L2 R2
Preamp: -4 dB
Filter: ON HSC 3dB Fc 430 Hz Gain -3 dB
Filter: ON HSC 3dB Fc 3300 Hz Gain -5 dB
Delay: 0.2 ms
Channel: L R
Filter: ON LSC 1.3 dB Fc 470 Gain -3 dB
Copy: L=0.5*L+0.5*R2 R=0.5*R+0.5*L2

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #247 of 331
  I had the honor of meeting Philips' Head of Acoustics and Sound here in Korea through an event and I did not know that they actually use this Golden Ears Test. Employees of Philips will take the test to see if their eligible for blind testing their own products against other products. They have to be at Golden Ears or Platiunum Ears level to be a tester...is what he told me.

Wasn't quite aware of this, thanks!

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #250 of 331
  I finally got a chance to make an attempt for the coveted "Golden Ears" trophy.

It took me several hours to clear it. The hardest challenge by far was the MP3 artifacts test, followed by the frequency bands on music test.

I closed my eyes at those, it really helped. 
My setup was: Good ol' Macbook pro ->  Sony MH1 ($10)

Regarding the MP3 compression: I found that there was a big difference in the quality of the voice's reverb. How did you tell them apart? 

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #251 of 331
I haven't had a chance to try this Phillips one, but here at Harman if you want to evaluate car systems and participate in most audio tests you have to get to a level 7 on various audio tests. The hardest part is frequency band peaks and dips where you have to listen to flat then eq and determine which peak or dip was applied in the eq. Level 7 is seven different bands, 14 total options. To advance to the next level you need to get three correct in a row, but three wrong consecutively will send you down a level. Apparently one of the tuning guys from overseas got to level 14 in an hour or so. I'll try it out to see how they compare.

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #252 of 331
  I closed my eyes at those, it really helped. 
<snip>
Regarding the MP3 compression: I found that there was a big difference in the quality of the voice's reverb. How did you tell them apart? 

My upper frequency hearing limit using an EQ'ed LCD-X is around 16,5 KHz. I could easily handle the 96 kbps, not so easily the 112 kbps and the 128 kbps was almost impossible. In the beginning I tried to listen for tremolo of the cymbals/whiskers. When that didn't pan out I then tried to focus on the sharpness of the bass pluckings. Also didn't work. Finally I tried focusing on the male vocal. It was difficult because the distance between the mic and the singer's head seemed to vary throughout the sample. Therefore I attempted to A/B using specific passages. In the end I chose the samples where the male vocal was ever so slightly softer, but I still feel like there was a not insignificant amount of sheer luck involved. Tired ears certainly didn't help.

I didn't notice much reverb in the vocal myself. I suspect the LCD-X isn't the best can for listening to reverb decay trails, as it's pretty well damped and doesn't enhance or prolong echoes in any way. I tried using the SE846 as well, but that was completely hopeless, as it doesn't have much output in the upper treble region.

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #253 of 331

Finally I tried focusing on the male vocal. It was difficult because the distance between the mic and the singer's head seemed to vary throughout the sample.

This also really bothered me when I tried to listen for the vocal. IMO its not an ideal record for testing compression sample rate. I made an ABX test with my own music at 128 kbps and wav, and for some tracks it was really easy to distinguish them. 

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #254 of 331
I've tested my hearing (I'm 17) and my upper hearing limit is around 18kHz. I used a DACport LX -> CL Duet -> Philips Fidelio L2 rig which isn't exactly neutral but the mp3 artifacts were of the easiest challenges for me. Even up to 128kbps I heard grain in the vocals and the sound was much less smooth. The treble also had evident grain. I took a while in the Gold level frequency bands tests purely out of memory issues. My other issue was in the harder reverb questions. 

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #255 of 331
I took a while in the Gold level frequency bands tests purely out of memory issues. My other issue was in the harder reverb questions. 

I'm 22 and my upper limit is 19kHz. I think you might have an advantage with the gear you are using
biggrin.gif

I'm using the Sony MH1, which is a bit too forgiving when it comes to voices. I will try the test again with different gear when I have the time.
I found the reverb questions to be straight forward, though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back