Philips Golden Ears challenge
Mar 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #196 of 331
  Getting smashed by the frequency boost/cut section in the Golden level. :-/
I can get 2 or 3 right, then I fail a bunch and it sends me back to the start of the challenge :p

Yeah that part was incredibly hard. After a while, though, things start to click.
For me it basically came down to the 8k and 16k cuts - those ones were the hardest for me to distinguish!

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #197 of 331
  So I'm stuck on Reverberation, any pointers?

Hm... Perhaps try to picture some walls, and if you can hear any sound bouncing back. Imagine the extremes first. Reverberation in a typical European stone church is extreme. Reverberation outdoors is... extremely non-existent... 
wink.gif

Good luck!

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #198 of 331
Yeah I think with the reverberation I found it easier to hear when listening to something like the cymbals - There is a part in the song that makes it pretty easy to tell, there is a series of cymbal hits and they all kind of bleed into one another with the reverberation on.

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #199 of 331
  Yeah I think with the reverberation I found it easier to hear when listening to something like the cymbals - There is a part in the song that makes it pretty easy to tell, there is a series of cymbal hits and they all kind of bleed into one another with the reverberation on.

X2. Seems like a much better advice than mine! 
redface.gif

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #200 of 331
(image missing)

Finally... Gave up using cheap speakers on the Bass Extension and went for my Mad Dog + Glacier and I breezed it no problem.

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #201 of 331
Fun test, thanks for posting it.

http://imgur.com/K0rYhtu

Mar 27, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #202 of 331
  Stuck here:-

I'd really like to get this. I'm 62 years old.

w

Tried this again. However, this time around, and to my surprise, the “Treble Cut-off frequency” challenge seems absolutely impossible. I can identify the first cut-off at 8.5 kHz, but the second step at 9 kHz is a “brick wall”. It would seem I’ve lost some of my treble hearing ability. It could be age, or it could be I’ve had a bad cold for almost a moth. For some reason I expect age. Anyway, I’ll give it another try once I feel perfectly healthy again. It does bother me. 
confused.gif

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #203 of 331
  Tried this again. However, this time around, and to my surprise, the “Treble Cut-off frequency” challenge seems absolutely impossible. I can identify the first cut-off at 8.5 kHz, but the second step at 9 kHz is a “brick wall”. It would seem I’ve lost some of my treble hearing ability. It could be age, or it could be I’ve had a bad cold for almost a moth. For some reason I expect age. Anyway, I’ll give it another try once I feel perfectly healthy again. It does bother me. 
confused.gif

Having a cold can very easily mess up your ears.

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #204 of 331

confused.gif

Having a cold can very easily mess up your ears.

Thanks for the encouragement and I hope you're right. My cold is on its way to slow and when I tried today I passed the 8.5, 9 and 10 kHz a couple of times, but at 11 kHz it was a grinding halt. Like I said I'll try again when I am fully recovered, but I actually have no great hope of success because I can not actually hear sine waves above about 11 kHz, which is age-related. I really wonder how I did this a month ago. I can not recall that I then thought it was particularly difficult. Well, maybe it's the cold after all. I'm hoping for it!

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #205 of 331
I'm using my beyerdynamic dt990 pro and fiio e6 amp and I can't get past silver mp3 artifacts. They said look or tremolo effects or high-hats. Searched on google but didn't get much help. Any advice?

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #206 of 331
Focus on high specifically the cymbals, it sounds a bit tizzly on MP3.

Stuck on golden timbre, I could hear the difference clearly but I can't remember which is which. Getting there though, it's the only test left before finishing golden ears.

(I could cheat this by opening two browser but I won't, where's the fun in that?)

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #208 of 331
I'm using my beyerdynamic dt990 pro and fiio e6 amp and I can't get past silver mp3 artifacts. They said look or tremolo effects or high-hats. Searched on google but didn't get much help. Any advice?

Strangely I found I did better when I wasn't focusing really hard. I also found that my immediate impression was generally right, and listening/thinking too hard just made me doubt myself.

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #209 of 331

I had tremendous difficulties with this challenge the first time around. When I tried it again a month later I passed without any real trouble. I wouldn't go as far as to say I now found it easy, but it was no longer dificult either.

I focused on the singer, and found out that (in my case) the most "clear" (best
eek.gif
) sounding voice was the one with artefacts. As long as there's nothing wrong with your hearing I'm convinced it's just a matter of learning what to listen for. It may take some time, but just hang in there and you'll eventually make it.

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #210 of 331
For anyone who is having difficulty with reverberation, here is what worked for me. I just used my iPhone stock speakers. Reverberated sound kinda sounds like the sound was trapped in my phone and echoed inside, while direct sound sounded clearer. I know it sounds ridiculous to be using the stock speakers on my phone but hey it worked :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back