Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 4, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #6,916 of 15,268
I am hearing more and more complaints about manufacturing quality issues with X2 here and on other forums as well. This is sad - X2 is such a great headphone when you get a "good one." I know that the stories of manufacturing issues would make me very hesitant about getting X2 if I didn't have one already. People on another forum also report problems with sound quality differences between different X2 samples and say that the manufacturing variations seem to have gotten worse recently, which really concerns me. I remember the story of Hifiman RE0. It was a very popular, great sounding IEM that many people loved, until the manufacturing quality went down and most RE0s started having build quality issues... Then Hifiman discontinued it. Pretty sad. I hope X2 won't have a similar fate.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #6,918 of 15,268
  I am hearing more and more complaints about manufacturing quality issues with X2 here and on other forums as well. This is sad - X2 is such a great headphone when you get a "good one." I know that the stories of manufacturing issues would make me very hesitant about getting X2 if I didn't have one already. People on another forum also report problems with sound quality differences between different X2 samples and say that the manufacturing variations seem to have gotten worse recently, which really concerns me. I remember the story of Hifiman RE0. It was a very popular, great sounding IEM that many people loved, until the manufacturing quality went down and most RE0s started having build quality issues... Then Hifiman discontinued it. Pretty sad. I hope X2 won't have a similar fate.

For some strange reason it's not listed on Philips Canadian website.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #6,919 of 15,268
  I am hearing more and more complaints about manufacturing quality issues with X2 here and on other forums as well. This is sad - X2 is such a great headphone when you get a "good one." 

Yep, wish it had the same build quality as my HD600 headphone. The damn thing looked new after 10 years (except the pads, obviously)... I don't care about the "look" or premium materials. I mean, the X2 looks like well-built headphone, but small things matter as well... And I wonder how it would fare after years of moderate use.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #6,921 of 15,268
  Thanks for the input everyone.
I gotta admit I don't know what "grain" is when it comes to Audio.
I guess it's the opposite of smooth. :)

It's something like that. I think grain is usually the result of peaky frequency response and/or resonances from the driver housing. It's a lack of smoothness, clarity and refinement.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #6,922 of 15,268
  and wassup with those earpads leaking ink like the ones on x1?

I've noticed some faint ink specks on the white paper, but never on my skin or anything. I wouldn't be held back by QC, just buy from a reliable retailer with great return policy.

They're so good that I'm going to give it another shot. I honestly do not see any good alternative anyway...

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #6,923 of 15,268
It's ironic how I tell most people how great my X2s sound and how appear very well made and durable, and mine probably are, when other X2s have build and sound quality issues. I say the "good" X2s are some of the best built headphone's I've seen and I am sure can take more abuse than HD600/650.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #6,924 of 15,268

I've noticed some faint ink specks on the white paper, but never on my skin or anything. I wouldn't be held back by QC, just buy from a reliable retailer with great return policy.

They're so good that I'm going to give it another shot. I honestly do not see any good alternative anyway...

my x1 pads stained my glass table.

unreal.

and they still using the crap ones on x2.

love da philips sound tho.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #6,925 of 15,268
  love da philips sound tho.

Yeah, for that reason alone I can forgive some things to a certain extent. But not in a $300 headphone, maybe...

I've played Witcher 3 with them yesterday and holy ****, such an immersive experience! Music is amazing there.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #6,926 of 15,268
  It's ironic how I tell most people how great my X2s sound and how appear very well made and durable, and mine probably are, when other X2s have build and sound quality issues. I say the "good" X2s are some of the best built headphone's I've seen and I am sure can take more abuse than HD600/650.

God, I hope the replacement is not worse than what I've just returned. Except that small trim issue, they were absolutely perfect.

I hope my OCD doesn't bite me in the rear. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #6,927 of 15,268

God, I hope my replacement is not worse than what I've just returned. Except that small trim issue, they were absolutely perfect.

Once you get your replacement pair I might have to pick your brain on synergy with the Bifrost MB

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #6,928 of 15,268
  Once you get your replacement pair I might have to pick your brain on synergy with the Bifrost MB

Well, I've been using it with the Bifrost MB for almost 2 months! The synergy is amazing. Great detail and very fatigue-free at the same time.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #6,929 of 15,268

Well, I've been using it with the Bifrost MB for almost 2 months! The synergy is amazing. Great detail and very fatigue-free at the same time.

The only thing I really find "lacking" in my current rig(s) is the DAC.  I am a bit of an emotiva fan boy but I can safely admit the XDA-1 is not a high performing DAC.  It's great for the price paid (and it fits in my HT rack) but it is definitely the weak link in my chain.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #6,930 of 15,268
Had mine for about 4 months. I usually use them at night. was off from work today so used them during the day. Noticed that the paint on the ring that attachs the earcups to the headband looked off in certain areas. I rubbed the areas thinking it was probably just some grime that sometimes builds up on things due to skin, oils, dirt, etc. Paint rubs right off with little pressure applied.

Is this a common thing with these? is phillips pretty good about warranty coverage even if its just cosmetic? :frowning2:

Was in the middle of testing them versus the 598HD. Prefer the latter due to soundstage and price I got them at but I guess I might have to sell the 598HDs or eat the cost of selling a non-new looking X2 :\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back