Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 24, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #6,811 of 15,268

But here's what I've learned. Many of those owners that want something more and actually try something more, wind up returning back to the HD600/650 (multiple times for some). That definitely speaks volumes. Only time will tell if the X2 will have that same consistent "return" as it's only been out for a fraction of the time that the other two have.

I'm not in that camp, I loved the HD650 for a time and it's still one of the best "session" HP's I own but it really gets little head time.  The ones in my signature spend significantly more time on my head/in my ears.  Haven't had the pleasure of the HD600 so cannot compare in that arena.

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #6,813 of 15,268
  I LOVE my Philips X2!!!!!!!   It's only been a few days but listening to Lossless Live Phish on my LG V10 (ESS DAC) has been AMAZING. 

While certainly not needed, amping does help tighten things up and expand the soundstage a bit.  Definitely don't need a beast of an amp but I do prefer them with a little clean power.

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #6,814 of 15,268
  My X2's arrived today and for all the praise they receive I'm really not sure about them yet. Admittedly it's a little soon to pass judgement.
My current cans are Shure 1440's and the X2s sound very loose at the moment, the bass is all over the place.  On tracks like Sledgehammer (DSD64 format) these X2's just cannot shift the low notes fast enough. There is a pleasant speaker-like quality to them but they also seem to lack definition in the mids and highs.  Perhaps it will grow on me but it almost feels like my iDAC2 isn't being used to its full potential.

Grr... I need sound signature somewhere between the 1440 and X2!

I ran pink noise tones through the X2s for a total of 70+ hours. The bass had tightened up quite a bit while the midrange and treble had also cleared up.

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #6,815 of 15,268

Doing a lot of prog/death metal lately (TesseracT, Agalloch, Xerath, Meshuggah, Karnivool, Opeth, Porcupine Tree). Also lots of Devin Townsend...

To the metal-heads on this thread: from what I've been reading X2 seems to have a smooth sound in combination with somewhat recessed mids, due to the slight v-shaped character.  I would think this type of signature would make X2 a less-than-optimal can for metal??  I'm a Grado fan and love the way they bring the mid-range (i.e., vocals and crunchy guitars) forward in the mix.

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #6,816 of 15,268
  To the metal-heads on this thread: from what I've been reading X2 seems to have a smooth sound in combination with somewhat recessed mids, due to the slight v-shaped character.  I would think this type of signature would make X2 a less-than-optimal can for metal??  I'm a Grado fan and love the way they bring the mid-range (i.e., vocals and crunchy guitars) forward in the mix.

X2 doesn't have a V-shaped character in the slightest. Engaging, natural. Speaker-like soundstage and nice imaging. And it's not that smooth (as in HD650 smooth). I really enjoy metal with mine, no less than with LCD-2. Mids are little relaxed (just not shouty), but definitely not recessed. Great bass and fun sparkle in treble. Djent makes your head bobbing! So much meat in the sound. Fatigue factor is non-existent even with low-fi material. I like that.

Compared to Grado they might sound a little more tame (less shouty), though. But if you give it some time, I think you're going to appreciate it.

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #6,817 of 15,268

X2 doesn't have a V-shaped character in the slightest. Engaging, natural. Speaker-like soundstage and nice imaging. And it's not that smooth (as in HD650 smooth). I really enjoy metal with mine, no less than with LCD-2. Mids are little relaxed (just not shouty), but definitely not recessed. Great bass and fun sparkle in treble. Djent makes your head bobbing! So much meat in the sound. Fatigue factor is non-existent even with low-fi material. I like that.

Compared to Grado they might sound a little more tame (less shouty), though. But if you give it some time, I think you're going to appreciate it.

Cool, thanks.  I’m looking for a warmer and bassier can to complement my Grado’s that’s good for metal but also does other genres well, so the X2 seems right up my alley.  I’m also considering LCD-2 but the price of the phone itself combined with the fact that I’d need a more powerful amp to drive them is steering me towards the X2.  Love Grado for metal but sometimes I just don’t feel like putting up with the sharp treble. 

“Meat in the sound” … “Great bass and fun sparkle” … “fatigue factor is non-existent” – all music to my ears!

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #6,818 of 15,268
  Cool, thanks.  I’m looking for a warmer and bassier can to complement my Grado’s that’s good for metal but also does other genres well, so the X2 seems right up my alley.  I’m also considering LCD-2 but the price of the phone itself combined with the fact that I’d need a more powerful amp to drive them is steering me towards the X2.  Love Grado for metal but sometimes I just don’t feel like putting up with the sharp treble. 

“Meat in the sound” … “Great bass and fun sparkle” … “fatigue factor is non-existent” – all music to my ears!

Yes, I'm sure it's going to complement your Grados well. Regarding the LCD-2, I've actually sold mine after getting X2! So there is that...

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #6,819 of 15,268

Van Halen sounds amazing to me!!!

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #6,820 of 15,268
Is there anyone who owns both X2 and MrSpeakers Alpha Prime? Would love to hear a planar like that, although I'm very happy with my X2. The fact that it's a closed headphone interests me too.
I'm not really into frequency ranges, but maybe someone can comment on the musicality/ fun factor of the Prime against X2. But maybe it's silly to consider this to the X2, I really don't know if they are close at all in sound against each other.

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #6,822 of 15,268
Is there anyone who owns both X2 and MrSpeakers Alpha Prime? Would love to hear a planar like that, although I'm very happy with my X2. The fact that it's a closed headphone interests me too.
I'm not really into frequency ranges, but maybe someone can comment on the musicality/ fun factor of the Prime against X2. But maybe it's silly to consider this to the X2, I really don't know if they are close at all in sound against each other.

I just got the 400i's and I have a pair of modded T50RP's (same driver as the Primes), and the X2s really are a different beast I think. Definite neutrality vs. fun factor, large soundstage (X2) vs. smaller ones. I think the X2s are still the best well-rounded headphone out there, but the Prime's are ridiculously expensive - I think you could find better HPs in that price range with better drivers, personally.

Even in the classifieds, Alpha Primes run over $600. You can get an X2 and a complementary can for that price, and probably be happier.

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #6,823 of 15,268

Not a metalhead by any means but I truly like the X2 with All Genres (that includes metal like Opeth, Metallica, Scale the Summit, Dream Theater, Halestorm & hard rock like Disturbed, Sevendust, Avenged Sevenfold).  My music collection is large enough I could darn near start my own streaming service, I enjoy it all with the X2.  Not true with the vast majority of my HP/IEM collection.

Edit: On the v-shaped note... I don't agree... they are fairly neutral with just a slight bass emphasis and a little extra sparkle up top.  Not a neutral reference but certainly not v-shaped.  I only own the Grado SR325e so I can't count my self as a Grado Fanboy but I think you will be pleased.

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #6,824 of 15,268
Even in the classifieds, Alpha Primes run over $600. You can get an X2 and a complementary can for that price, and probably be happier.

He already owns an X2, and so do I - he could easily get a number of other headphones for $600 that I think would be a better investment. I'm sure some will disagree with me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back