Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 12, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #4,966 of 15,268
  I think im actually going to go for a pair of LCD2's instead.  

I will give the fidelio x2 around a week of burn in before I do anything drastic.  

Wow, well if you have that kind of cash to blow, maybe you should try a better dynamic than the X2s before totally giving up on them. But, this is coming from a guy that loves the sound of both techs.

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #4,967 of 15,268
just got my set from amazon.  

First impressions:

-  Bass is underwhelming coming from HE400.  I have also heard HE500 / HE560.  X2 Feels extremely loose and sloppy.  Doesnt seem to go as low.
-  I have not used a dynamic driver headphone in a long time, there is def a difference between this and planars regarding speed and just general impact.  Planars feel so fast.  Planars also make bass impact and rumble feel extremely alive.  The fidelio x2 has the bass, but overall its sloppy and slow while not having impact.

Keep in mind I am not a basshead, I just like really nice bass, so I mainly bought these because everyone was saying how nice the bass was.

- Mids I have no problem with, as they are better than the HE400
- Treble I also have no problem with as they are much better than the HE400

Overall right now im not too impressed.  There also seems to be a driver imbalance, my right driver seems to be louder.

I will however say that the comfort is fantastic.  1000x better than any hifiman i have tried.

Keep in mind that, that openback hps, are rolled off at the bass a bit, never gona be planar like.

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #4,968 of 15,268
  I think im actually going to go for a pair of LCD2's instead.  

I will give the fidelio x2 around a week of burn in before I do anything drastic.  

I had the chance to listen to the X2 recently at a meet and was very impressed. So many open dynamics lack in the low-end, and the X2 had a great balance of bass and top-end. Very comfy, and for the price an impressive and enjoyable package. 

That said it is a noticeable step up with the LCD2. Not for comfort, but for everything else. If you can get the LCD-2 at a good price go for it. The bass is exceptional. 

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #4,970 of 15,268
I just today received one of these puppies from Amazon: at less than $250.00 I thought it was worth a shot. RIght off the bat, the sound is stunning! Full, rich bass, excellent, well rounded mids, and controlled but authoritative highs! Lovely! Comfort-wise, I have to say the head-sling thing will take some getting used to, though. It is clearly a set of headphones intended for stationary listening. On the other hand, the soft velour ear cups are plush and very comfortable making these cans a joy to use for hours on end. Fit and finish are excellent and the QC people were on their toes when they were manufactured. It is apparent the X2 was designed with care and and an eye to tiny detail by engineers who were passionate about making a fine product rather than focusing on the bottom line of an anonymous executive's P&L spreadsheet and consequently cutting every conceivable corner in the process. I mean, the cable alone is almost worth the price of admission all by itself! Overall, I am very happy with the Philips Fidelio X2 and I am even happier it is a Philips product because if the name plate said Sony it would cost twice or three times as much...and it would still be worth it. Highly recommended!

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #4,974 of 15,268
  I must have had these on for 10 hour today, no listening or comfort fatigue.

do you find the clamping force to be a bit too much?

Ive used them for 2 days now and the comfort is great if its kept under around 2 hours on my head.

The clamping pressure after about 2 ish hours makes my cheekbones hurt, which probably explains why I had such a massive headache last night due to loss of bloodflow to my head lol.

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #4,975 of 15,268

Ive used them for 2 days now and the comfort is great if its kept under around 2 hours on my head.

The clamping pressure after about 2 ish hours makes my cheekbones hurt, which probably explains why I had such a massive headache last night due to loss of bloodflow to my head lol.

Not really, I think you get used to them. I did notice some pressure on the left cheekbone and a few headaches when I first got them.

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #4,976 of 15,268

You can very easily bend the leather headband part just a bit to loosen up the clamp. It takes very little work to get it loose, so just be careful to not do too much, but it is also easily bent the other way. Mess around with the outside band for a bit to get it to where you like it.

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #4,977 of 15,268
Does anyone have any tips to loosening up the lower headband? I have a bit of a big noggin, and these put just a smidge too much pressure on the top of my head when I have the cups where I like them.

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #4,978 of 15,268
Yeah exactly what i was thinking.. it would literally drown out the midrange if there was more. Not sure if he was trolling or not.

Lol no I wasn't. I was asking for potential upgrade with similar sound signature in all regions including full sized(open or closed) and iem or ciem. If you haven't heard anything better, just say so. No need to be salty :) Thank you for your constructive and helpful suggestion haha. Glad to hear X2 seems to have the perfect bass for you.

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #4,979 of 15,268
The leather on my headphone headband is coming apart.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back