Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 5, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #2,161 of 15,268
X2 sounds awesome with the Fiio X5. I've also got a Fuji X100S. I'm not into edge, I promise. 

The X5 running a TTVJ Portable Hybrid with the X2s is insane. I don't want to get lost in audiophile nonsense language here. The X5 HO is amazing- it's clarity and control are the best I've heard. Not for a portable. For anything. The PMHA is a downgrade on that front- bass is noticeably flabby in comparison, but I don't even care. There's way more of it. The realism that the tubes give is worth it. Call it midrange bloom, weight, bass slam, whatever. Doesn't matter what you call it, you just have to hear the difference on a suitable recording. I'm using an ALAC rip of Opeth's "Ghost of Perdition" from Ghost Reveries. It's perfect for this combo.  It's brutal authority with glowing mids and effortless treble. This combo is worth its weight in gold. 

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #2,163 of 15,268
So who's going to be the first to tear these apart and do a balanced recable? 

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #2,164 of 15,268

I don't think so, at least overly so. I appreciate a bright sound. I like bass, but not too much (like my old DT 770 had..). I listen to a lot of genres, from classical to trance and techno and a lot in between. I love a large soundstage. At the moment I only have a Soundblaster Z soundcard.

Depends on the pricing of the HD700 and what type of sound sig you like as well as how much can you get it for.  The HD700 is known to have extremely sharp, sometimes unpleasant treble.
I PM'd some people a while back about the HD700 vs the X1 and here's what they said:

From Greed:
What I can say is I really liked the X1. For around $200 it is a solid headphone with not much overshadowing it in terms of price/performance. I would stay far away from the HD700. They have recently been discounted quite a bit but their personally they aren't a step up over the $300 price range kings. Bery comfortable but that is where the positives end. Sharp, unnatural treble with a funky tonal balance and plasticky timbre.

From benthughes:
Hmmm... I really like the X1s. They're reasonably detailed and have fun bass that I dig. The 700s are very spacious sound and good detail. They're faster and a bit better for metal but lack that low end punch.

I'm running through an Asgard 2 and HRT DAC. If I had a better setup, maybe the difference would be a bit more pronounced. I don't think I'd give up the X1s for the HD700, I think you'd miss them.

The X1s give me good detail and impact and the 700s offer a bit more detail and much more spaciousness. Unless you listen to a lot of acoustic, chamber or classical Id stick with the X1s. I like my HD700s but the X1s get more head time

From naimless:
I wouldn't call the HD700 an upgrade of the HD650 more of a downgrade from the HD800,the700 sounds totally different to the 650 and also I would imagine the X1 although I've never heard it but have read about it.The 650/X1 have a warmer signature where as the 700 has a much clearer sound imo.I hope that helps.

Thanks to all the people who replied to my pestering btw... >.<

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #2,165 of 15,268
The HD700 would be about $200 more than the X2s. I really liked the X2 sound but I'm not that sure if they were comfortable enough for me since the few days I listened to them my ears were kinda sore after a few hours. I already ordered the HD700 though so hopefully can get to test them in a few days. And I guess if the Sennheisers turn out to be too treble-y I'll just have to figure out if I want to try ordering something new in hopes of finding better suited pads or just go back to the X2 since it was so close to being perfect.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #2,166 of 15,268
  The HD700 would be about $200 more than the X2s. I really liked the X2 sound but I'm not that sure if they were comfortable enough for me since the few days I listened to them my ears were kinda sore after a few hours. I already ordered the HD700 though so hopefully can get to test them in a few days. And I guess if the Sennheisers turn out to be too treble-y I'll just have to figure out if I want to try ordering something new in hopes of finding better suited pads or just go back to the X2 since it was so close to being perfect.

Once the pads and the headband on the Fidelios are broken in, they morph into teddy bears made of the finest kitten pelts. They weren't that comfortable to begin with for me, but the more I wore them, the better they felt.  At $500, I wouldn't really consider the HD700 over the X2s, maybe around $350 or something would be better.  You might be able to find them on the FS forums here for ~$400 and bargain your way down if you like them.  Then you can return the HD700s you purchased for $500 and keep you ones you got cheap.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #2,167 of 15,268
  Once the pads and the headband on the Fidelios are broken in, they morph into teddy bears made of the finest kitten pelts. They weren't that comfortable to begin with for me, but the more I wore them, the better they felt.  At $500, I wouldn't really consider the HD700 over the X2s, maybe around $350 or something would be better.  You might be able to find them on the FS forums here for ~$400 and bargain your way down if you like them.  Then you can return the HD700s you purchased for $500 and keep you ones you got cheap.

Yeah I think they probably would; I don't really understand since they look comfortable and feel comfortable but still somehow after a long session they start to press the back of my ears enough that it starts to be really distracting, even after trying to move them around. And I reaaally liked the way they sounded. Hmmm.

Even so if $500 for new? Or is that not such a good deal as it first sounded. I guess I'll test them anyway just to know how they are and unless they're absolutely perfect I'll go back to X2s. Not really keen on buying HPs used..

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #2,168 of 15,268

Yeah I think they probably would; I don't really understand since they look comfortable and feel comfortable but still somehow after a long session they start to press the back of my ears enough that it starts to be really distracting, even after trying to move them around. And I reaaally liked the way they sounded. Hmmm.

Even so if $500 for new? Or is that not such a good deal as it first sounded. I guess I'll test them anyway just to know how they are and unless they're absolutely perfect I'll go back to X2s. Not really keen on buying HPs used..

To put that in perspective, the HD700 was ~$350 or something a few weeks back on Sennheiser's website.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #2,170 of 15,268

Really? I find X2s ear pads very comfortable. The clamp pressure is also very light. To put comfort into perspective, it feels very similar to Bose QC15 in terms of ear pad comfort, if anyone used QC15.

May be too much clamp pressure on yours? Try breaking in for a few days and see how it feels

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #2,171 of 15,268
After 4 months of P7 and about 3 weeks of X2, I took my Bose QC15 to work since it's been a very long time. Man, I could now really appreciate how great X2 (and also P7) is... QC15 absolutely don't have any bass, has rolled off treble and it is missing all the details and airiness the above cans give.
I would have sold my QC15 had it not been noise cancelling. They have done one thing great which is their noise cancellation and sometimes I really need them at work
rolleyes.gif

Wow... It seems like after some time with great products, only when you go back to mediocre products, one really appreciates the greatness :)

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #2,173 of 15,268
  HD700's only benefit is the non bleeding ear pads and comfort.

Earpads bleed?
NVM, was thinking of bleeding blood, not ink.

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #2,174 of 15,268
Well guess what? I'm doing pretty much the same thing that you, xSociety, are using,

10, 10, 8, 0, 0, 8, 10, 10.

I'm using DX90 from iBasso, with HE-400 from HiFiman. DX90 uses only ten notes instead of twelve. Phenomenal sound!

Quick question about the dx90. Is that only a music player? Or can it be used to improve other sources, like a laptop?

Oh and I'm loving the x2s. They really just get better and better. Also mine aren't bleeding from what I can tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back