Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 30, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #2,026 of 15,268
  Okay. I took the pads off and placed them down flat on paper with my phone and wallet on top. The greasy brown stuff must be the sweat being absorbed into the memory foam reacting with the fabric dye causing bleeding. I'm just concerned about the ink still. If it contains any chemicals that can cause health concerns. Such as carcinogens. I'm going to look like the elephant man soon.

Not elephant.  Alien.

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #2,029 of 15,268
Tried the X2 with Laptop --> Bifrost--> Millet Hybrid. The X2 scales really well. Sounds great with both tubes and solid state. My millet swings 8+ volts, which probably explains how the bass solidified vs. the Total Bithead. Imaging and separation improved as well, but that could be the DAC. I'm just happy I can hear the differences- I don't know why some people are calling the X2 mid-fi. It's clearly hi-fi to my ears.

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #2,031 of 15,268
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/1398
and
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/1410

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #2,033 of 15,268
  I've always liked those ear pads when it came to round ones. Idk how he got them on but I definitely want to try that out. Man, they look nice on those too.

Read his posts on those two pages.

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #2,034 of 15,268
If it's anyone's cup of tea, Neil Young Live at Massey Hall 1971 sounds great on the X2s.  Guitar (occasionally piano) and vocals are perfectly intimate, but when the audience comes in, the sense of the hall is there.  Sound stage is still more wide than deep, but that could be the recording.  For me, his voice is placed perfectly in it.  There's a great resonance when he hits the low notes (e.g., "Cowgirl In The Sand"), without interfering with or detracting from the overall presentation.

Figured I'd mention it, as I'd not listened to any acoustic stuff with the X2s until now.

Using relatively inexpensive tubes in the Lyr, too, FWIW.

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #2,035 of 15,268
Some short impressions, listening out of a Schiit Fulla:

Imaging ability struck me first. Very obvious and distinct - I can tell where instruments are placed and how far.

Soundstage is quite wide, with pretty good layering and instrument separation, a lot of instrumental detail that is realistic.

Bass: I don't understand how people can find X2s lacking in bass. When I first heard put it on I even thought there was a bit too much bass. It's a little more settled now and I'm really enjoying the bass. Bass runs deep and has just the right amount of impact, rumble and speed. I like my bass tight with good impact and fairly fast - the X2s seem to hit a sweet spot for me. I used to own the X1s and from memory I recall that the X1 bass is definitely looser and less defined. Listening to Coldplay gets my head bobbing and feet tapping.

Mids: Mids are beautiful. A lot of detail, layered, and lush. Fits well into the entire presentation, bass never bleeds into mids (which I felt X1 did sometimes), and seems to be the focus of the presentation. I've always been a mid centric guy, so the X2s are excellent in this respect, without sacrificing bass and treble reproduction. Guitar picks and strums sound incredibly lifelike and detailed. Vocals are a delight to listen to, Jason Mraz sound like right he's singing right in front of me. 

Treble: I'm very sensitive to treble, and I've heard lots of phones which are harsh and I would immediately put them down because my ears cannot take it. The X2s have pretty good treble to me. I find them a lot less fatiguing than the X1s. Tyll noted some grittiness, and I must admit that my first impression had me thinking the treble is slightly gritty but it has settled somewhat after burning in for a night. It is just slightly edgy - perhaps those who've owned the X2s longer can chime in on this - burning in might tone it down a bit. Cymbals do sound a little distant on some tracks, always out of the way but clearly the bass and mids are the focus on these. 

Hope this is helpful!

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #2,037 of 15,268
Quoting Tyll from innerfidelity summerizing the most imprtant products of the year. Here is his take on the X2;

Philips Fidelio X2 - Since I've got no history of doing this, let's just call the Philips X2 Innerfidelity's product of the year. It's so rare that a great headphone comes along, especially one good enough to almost knock the Sennheiser HD 600 off the "Wall of Fame", that I have to remember it as the one product that totally took me by surprise. In my mind, Philips in the past year has risen to a position along side Sennheiser as companies that must be watched carefully, and every product introduction needs to be auditioned if possible.

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #2,038 of 15,268
i posted earlier about a balace problem with the x2 , as i said i use the ibasso dx50 and is a fantastic player
could not work out what the problem was with the balance but to my surprise i found that the cpu setting was
on default so i changed it to 312 and now by magic the problem has corrected itself.
not sure what that has to do with the balance but its sorted itself out .
im so glad i was that close to sending them back for a refund
and now they are singing .
thanks for all your help much appriciated.
one more thing i was looking for a dac for the x2 and was looking at the wa6 fireflies from woo audio
has anyone had any experience with woo audio products or does anyone have the wa6 fireflies .
has good reviews and looks like a step in the right direction .
any input on this thanks again mad headphone people of the world .
L3000.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #2,039 of 15,268
  Has anyone paired X2 with ifi Micro or Nano iDSD? I am on the verge of buying Micro but would like some first hand opinions.

Thx

I have iDSD micro and Fidelio X2. X2 are easy to drive, you don't need the micro (I use it with LCD2). 

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #2,040 of 15,268
  If it's anyone's cup of tea, Neil Young Live at Massey Hall 1971 sounds great on the X2s.  Guitar (occasionally piano) and vocals are perfectly intimate, but when the audience comes in, the sense of the hall is there.  Sound stage is still more wide than deep, but that could be the recording.  For me, his voice is placed perfectly in it.  There's a great resonance when he hits the low notes (e.g., "Cowgirl In The Sand"), without interfering with or detracting from the overall presentation.

Figured I'd mention it, as I'd not listened to any acoustic stuff with the X2s until now.

Using relatively inexpensive tubes in the Lyr, too, FWIW.

I have Neil Young's Harvest album on DVD-A quality, an it sounds so amazing with X2s. Heart of Gold is a personal favourite of mine and I just can't get enough of it with X2s. X2s are amazing for classical rock/folk. Well to be fair, they are amazing for almost anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back