Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 7, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #9,811 of 15,268

I personally think they sound good, although I've never heard a Woox pair. The issue is that I've seen pictures of Gibson pairs that have the thicker pads, and I'm wondering why they aren't all the same?

Welcome to the X2 owners' club! 
smile.gif

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #9,813 of 15,268
I received mine a couple of days ago from Massdrop.

They're the GIbson made ones that say WOOX on the headband.

The earpads were glued on, I removed them by pulling them off forcefully.  The glue is serious stuff, took me an hour to remove it all.  Hindsight is 20/20, I should've used a hairdryer or something to heat the glue up some.

During removal I damaged the earpads slightly. The fabric's threads came up a bit from being pinched by tweezers.

I don't have any issues with the metal trim around the earcups themselves, or any other part of the headphones.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned at all is on my pair the headband's tensioner isn't equal from left to right, so when I put them on it doesn't sit on my head level.  The headband sits more to the left side, so it looks funny, but these are used at home, so who cares right? I care a little...a lot, haha.

Initial impressions, being my first pair of open cans, the soundstage and sound separation are terrific.  I was comparing them back to back to my Beyerdynamic DT-1350s, and it's pretty clear the difference between these two in terms of sound separation.

The bass is great, without being overwhelming.  Could be due to messing with chems when I was younger at concerts, but heavy bass makes me queasy, but these are fine for long listening sessions so far.

Clarity is there, and I'm quite enjoying the sound signature of these cans.

Sources I'm using are a FiiO X1 + Q1 combo, my HT receiver Pioneer VSX-523-4 using the 1/4" plug adapter, work laptop w/FiiO Q1, and my LG G4 phone.

Very easy to drive, trying to figure out if it's my ears playing tricks on me or not, but they sound livelier on HO vs LO on my FiiO Q1.  Volume matching only by ear.  

So far I'm pretty pleased with my purchase even though I got hit with a $47 duty fee once the package got to my office.  Almost killed the deal from Massdrop.

One question for you all.  How the hell do you use the included "cable management" clip?  It can only take one of two loops of the included cable and then it's "full".  Someone mentioned it's a shirt clip.  I don't think so.

Cheers

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #9,814 of 15,268
  One question for you all.  How the hell do you use the included "cable management" clip?

I don't, lol. Also V-Moda cable is so much better than stock.

Feb 7, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #9,816 of 15,268
Feb 7, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #9,818 of 15,268
Feb 7, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #9,820 of 15,268
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned at all is on my pair the headband's tensioner isn't equal from left to right, so when I put them on it doesn't sit on my head level.  The headband sits more to the left side, so it looks funny, but these are used at home, so who cares right? I care a little...a lot, haha.

It's is visibly skewed? When my X2's were new the frame wasn't even which caused the cans to sit skewed, tilted to one side. The frame is malleable so I applied pressure to it until it looked and sat evenly. I'm not sure if this will apply to you but you can give it a try.

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #9,821 of 15,268
  When I'm at home jamming I don't like thin cables, much prefer the thick mediabridge ultra or similar cables. Though I'd never use the X2 or other big ass headphones in a mobile situation lol. It's hard to look inconspicuous wearing X2's.

I'm only using X2 at home. But stock cable is just too noisy and unwieldy.

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #9,824 of 15,268

Try one of these sometime. They're thick, double shielded, and don't make noise nor have do they no cable memory.

http://smile.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable-Mediabridge/dp/B004LTEUDO

For headphone cables, shield is not critical. Good wire thick enough, good plugs, and good soldering are more important.  

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #9,825 of 15,268

Try one of these sometime. They're thick, double shielded, and don't make noise nor have do they no cable memory.

http://smile.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable-Mediabridge/dp/B004LTEUDO

Heh.

"You purchased this item on April 1, 2013". 

Unfortunately mine is too short.. (4 ft).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back