Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 30, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #5,146 of 15,268
I wear my x2 for gaming, watching stuff on the pc and love it. Bonus is the vmoda mic fits it making it in to an amazing headset.

As I dont have much ezperiance with headphones I will link a guide on here from someone who does. The guide rate the x2 amongst the best all rounders avaliable for the use you discribe and what turned my eye to them along with Inner Fidelity's very complimentary review.

Madlustenvy Gaming Headphones Guide

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #5,147 of 15,268
I am not suprised you hear fatigue the magni is very dry and aggressive.
The X2 is kind of like the HD600, slightly warm but woth hints of dryness(Roughness in the treble) The Magni will amplify that. The X2 do better with a warmer amp like the E12.

As for the mids the X2 has natual mids it's neither forward nor pushed back.

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #5,149 of 15,268
Personally I don't like Schiit house sound. I liked Fidelio X2 with Meridian Explorer2 but I must say it sounded amazing with my friend's Burson Soloist SL. Maybe it's overkill but it was really good. Soloist SL is on my "may buy" list but I'm wondering if they'll add a dac into it and release that version in the future. I like dac/amps more than just amps.

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #5,150 of 15,268
As someone who is use to the Audio-Technica AD700, would I be disappointed with the soundstage of the Philips Fidelio X2? I'm okay with somewhat less soundstage for greater (not slightly better) sound, but if it's too narrow and I have issues telling the direction or distance of sounds or instruments then that'd be a deal-breaker for me.

My issue with the Audio-Technica AD700 is that it's a bit bright and has non-existent bass. It feels like a big chunk is missing off the lower-end, but I love the soundstage and mids on it.

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #5,151 of 15,268
  As someone who is use to the Audio-Technica AD700, would I be disappointed with the soundstage of the Philips Fidelio X2? I'm okay with somewhat less soundstage for greater (not slightly better) sound, but if it's too narrow and I have issues telling the direction or distance of sounds or instruments then that'd be a deal-breaker for me.

My issue with the Audio-Technica AD700 is that it's a bit bright and has non-existent bass. It feels like a big chunk is missing off the lower-end, but I love the soundstage and mids on it.

The AD700 has a bigger soundstage.
The AKG 700 line is the closest in terms of comparable soundstage.

The X1 & X2 are probably not on par with them, but they still have larger soundstages compared to all the other headphones in their price range.
Much better bass as well.

Jun 30, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #5,152 of 15,268

The no bass and brightness is the reason they have a big soundstage. If you want more bass you will have to accept a smaller stage. The X2 has a standard size stage. It has what you'd expect from a balanced closed back.

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #5,156 of 15,268
Received my X2 a few days back and the sound quality just amazing. Right amount of base that digs reasonably low, very good at detail, nice mids and highs. The soundstage is very good but could be a bit more wider. The negatives, at least for me is that:

1.This thing is huge, and while very nice while you hold it on your hands, looks ugly when you put it on your head. Looks like it is made for people with coneheads :)
2. It is heavy and the pads, while comfortable for a short session, they are not comfortable for a long session. The ear pads get hot and become itchy after 30 minutes. I find myself taking a break, every 20 -30 minutes. The fact it does not have a cushion on top does not help bald guys like me. No hair to use as a cushion :frowning2:

I could put the RS180 on and literally listen for hours and I often forget that I have them on.

With all the negative I mentioned, I am still reluctant to return it back to Amazon. I am really torn here on what to do. Would I get used it overtime and all this discomfort would go away?

My goal was to get the best headphone for movies that give a presentation that is like speakers rather than closed in-your-head sound. The X2 while not 3D like, it is very good. I am about to order, the HD598, The DT990 pro 250omhs or DT770/DT880 and one other can to compare. Any suggestions for the best headphone under $300?

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #5,157 of 15,268
  My goal was to get the best headphone for movies that give a presentation that is like speakers rather than closed in-your-head sound. The X2 while not 3D like, it is very good. I am about to order, the HD598, The DT990 pro 250omhs or DT770/DT880 and one other can to compare. Any suggestions for the best headphone under $300?

I don't think HD598 will fit your needs. Soundstage wise DT990 > DT880, it's more wide. I've tried DT880, and people say that DT880 >= X2. Go for DT990, it might be good for you (soundstage wise).  Why don't you try the massdrop K7xx (or something like that) ?  Heard good reviews about its soundstage and improved bass/body and comfort.

I don't like when my hair gets messed up by X2's pads =/

PS: DTs in general are hard to drive. Having a decent amp is a must.

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #5,158 of 15,268

I don't think HD598 will fit your needs. Soundstage wise DT990 > DT880, it's more wide. I've tried DT880, and people say that DT880 >= X2. Go for DT990, it might be good for you (soundstage wise).  Why don't you try the massdrop K7xx (or something like that) ?  Heard good reviews about its soundstage and improved bass/body and confort.

I don't like when my hair gets messed up by the pads =/

PS: DTs in general are hard to drive. Having a decent amp is a must.

Thanks liraop. Having RS180 now, I suspected the 598 might not fit the bill. But I read so many glowing reviews ( when used for gaming and movies) I thought I did give the a try. As for amplification, I will be using Fiio E12 or Onkyo 805 receiver's headphone out. I will look at K701 or 702 also. I am open to more suggestion.

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #5,159 of 15,268
Received my X2 a few days back and the sound quality just amazing. Right amount of base that digs reasonably low, very good at detail, nice mids and highs. The soundstage is very good but could be a bit more wider. The negatives, at least for me is that:

1.This thing is huge, and while very nice while you hold it on your hands, looks ugly when you put it on your head. Looks like it is made for people with coneheads :)
2. It is heavy and the pads, while comfortable for a short session, they are not comfortable for a long session. The ear pads get hot and become itchy after 30 minutes. I find myself taking a break, every 20 -30 minutes. The fact it does not have a cushion on top does not help bald guys like me. No hair to use as a cushion :frowning2:

I could put the RS180 on and literally listen for hours and I often forget that I have them on.

With all the negative I mentioned, I am still reluctant to return it back to Amazon. I am really torn here on what to do. Would I get used it overtime and all this discomfort would go away?

Mine where a little itchcy tobegin with don't know if I become used to it or it wore off.

Have you thought of doing the old Fidelio x1 sock mod? Was looking at buying an x1 just prior to the x2 coming out so read about it. Basically. Was to keep the non removable x1 pads clean. Should also help for itchiness.

A quick Google for Fidelio x1 sock mod should bring it up...and no I am not trying just to get you to type that in too Google...honest.

Edit: link--> http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/2685

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back