Philips Fidelio X2 vs Shure SRH1540... Anyone compared them?
Jan 29, 2015 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

daltonlanny

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,
I recently purchased a pair of Philips Fidelio X2 off Amazon recently, and love them. I have also been reading alot of reviews on the Shure SRH 1540 headphones lately, and they seem very interesting, and have received very positive reviews.
I am just curious on whether anyone out there owns both of them, or has compared them head to head?
Are the Shure SRH 1540's worth the extra $200.00 over the Philips Fidelio X2, in your opinion?
If so, how do they compare sonically in the bass, mids, highs, etc., and how do they compare comfort wise, etc?
Thanks for your answers and comments.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 28
BUMP...Anyone heard, owned, or compared both???
Tyll on Innerfidelity has put both of them on his Wall Of Fame.
Thanks.

May 21, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 28
I have heard them both but not side by side.  I'd be working from memory.  When it comes to headphones there's very little relationship between sound quality and money.  Both headphones can justify their price.  The Shure's come with extras and of course they are a closed headphone.  The X2's are an open headphone.  If you're on a tight budget then I'd say no.....it's not worth the extra $200.  Both have wonderfu, clean, neutral, spacious, sound and build quality.  I'd suggest to purchase them both on your credit card then just return the one you don't want.  Most places have a 30 day no questions asked return policy but be sure to check the policy.  Then you can be certain your money was well spent and you got the best headphones for you.  Why agonize over a decision when you can solve the problem easily for yourself.  The credit card is a safe way to deal with vendors online. 

Aug 5, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 28
Has anyone compared the X2's with the SRH 840? I have a pair of SRH 840, and I'm pretty happy with them, but I was wondering if the X2's would be a worthy upgrade as they're on sale on Amazon now.
I've tried a pair of AKG K712 (as I've heard many compare them with the X2's) and didn't like 'em , they were too "harsh" sounding with punk music, which is the main genre I listen to.

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 28
Been too long since I heard the 840. As for the X2 vs. the 1540, I really consider that to be an apples and oranges thing. Do you want an open headphone? Or a closed? Or do you care?

May 18, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #6 of 28
This is a pretty old thread, but to anyone who passes trough, comfort wise, the X2 is way better in my opinion.
I purchased the pads from the shure and i've put them on the X2, had to take them off in the following hours because of major discomfort.. compared with the stock and some velvet aftermarket pads i bought, i can wear them for 14+ hours straight, completely forgetting I'm wearing headphones.

May 18, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #7 of 28
This is a pretty old thread, but to anyone who passes trough, comfort wise, the X2 is way better in my opinion.
I purchased the pads from the shure and i've put them on the X2, had to take them off in the following hours because of major discomfort.. compared with the stock and some velvet aftermarket pads i bought, i can wear them for 14+ hours straight, completely forgetting I'm wearing headphones.
Nice necro.
Literally a few clicks and you would have found this thread dedicated to the X2:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/philips-fidelio-x2.723025/

May 18, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #9 of 28
Yes, and ?
i don't see how this is relevant with my post. :rolling_eyes:
And? You could simply share your experiences in that topic. We don't bump very old topics unless it's relevant.

May 18, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #10 of 28
And? You could simply share your experiences in that topic. We don't bump very old topics unless it's relevant.
In my opinion it is relevant, i'm answering about the specific topic of comparing the comfort between the two headphones, which is one part of what the thread is about.
It also has been necro(ed)? once already, i don't see anyone complaining about it, and that was 4 years.

May 18, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 28
I bought a X2HR very recently and they really pack a punch, it pretty much have everything you need. Since I can't stand the default stereo "right inside your head" experience, I use surround virtualization. And it's amazing.
I agree, i'm also using virtualization on them (dolby headphones), sound-stage ain't the largest but its still good. :ok_hand:

May 18, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 28
Yeah I use Dolby Access (from Windows 10 store) for games and HeSuVi for browser media, since Dolby Access doesn't work system-wide.

But I want a Sound Blaster x G6 sound card so I can have SBX :dt880smile:

But that is for the future :upside_down:

PS: HeSuVi has SBX profiles but I don't know if it's as good as the original SBX designed for the G6 cards. And maybe with a proper sound card with support for surround I can have surround system-wide like HeSuVi.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #15 of 28
HeSuVi has SBX profiles but I don't know if it's as good as the original SBX designed for the G6 cards. And maybe with a proper sound card with support for surround I can have surround system-wide like HeSuVi.

I gave it a try to test the original dolby headphones profiles (DH1-DH2-DH3) and the ones in HeSuVi and it didn't sound even close to the original, a major downgrade, i guess its better than nothing but in my opinion i expect also the other original tech to sound better than the emulated version of HeSuVi.

Previously i had tried CMSS-3D which is excellent in games (better positioning), but it completely killed the quality of the music for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back