Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Dec 8, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #541 of 1,061
  Finally had time to rotate my X2, HD650, Blue Mo-Fi (built-in amp. off) and B&W P7 through my desktop system using AIFF files today over a 6 hour session. I have got to say that the X2 is really doing it for me. Whatever is happening, whether it be breaking in or my brain adapting to these new headphones I hope it doesn't stop being good sound. Sometimes the great, controlled bass just makes my ears wiggle in a good way!

Oli Silk's "All We Need" CD, Stevie Nicks "24 Carat Gold", Bruce Cockburn's "Breakfast in New Orlean's" (you've got to hear the "Blueberry Hill" cover) are sounding great. The vocals sound realistic and not buried or over accentuated. The combined vocals on Modest Mouse's The "Moon and Antarctica" sounds very good.  I'm hearing great "decay" on the piano on all of my files that contain piano. The drum beat and electric guitar grit sound incredible on Robert Plant's Lullaby and Ceaseless Roar "Turn It Up"!

Wearing comfort has gone from good to very good, Though I still give the HD-650's the comfort edge. I'm guessing these leak sound like crazy based on what I can hear in a non-quiet room (family t.v. going).

I'm still not enamored with the 1920's lamp cord headphone cable regarding look, feel, and fold up storage. I'd rather have a thinner plastic cable or a fatter Moon Audio style fabric skinned cable. I know this is just visual. I have nothing against the performance of the stock cable.

I want to thank Baycode for convincing me to try these via his review!

You're welcome @Jazz1  
beerchug.gif
  Glad to hear that you're enjoying them.

X2 is better than anything else I put on my head and ears over all those years...

After the driver/brain burn-in period (200-300h), memory foam earpad and headband shaping (15-20 days of usage), X2 reached to an unbelievable level for me. Ticks all the boxes!

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #542 of 1,061

You're welcome @Jazz1  
beerchug.gif
  Glad to hear that you're enjoying them.

X2 is better than anything else I put on my head and ears over all those years...

After the driver/brain burn-in period (200-300h), memory foam earpad and headband shaping (15-20 days of usage), X2 reached to an unbelievable level for me. Ticks all the boxes!

Hi, may I ask what you are driving your X2s with? I'm having trouble deciding with all the different choices and mixed reviews. What I currently have boiled down to is something like the Vali/Magni + Modi or O2/ODAC combo.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #543 of 1,061

Hi, may I ask what you are driving your X2s with? I'm having trouble deciding with all the different choices and mixed reviews. What I currently have boiled down to is something like the Vali/Magni + Modi or O2/ODAC combo.

To be completely honest, you don't need any amp for your X2. As Baycode said somewhere in this thread, they sound great even out of a Galaxy Tab S. But otherwise, I would go for the Vali/Magni combo as they should drive a huge number of  headphones that you will probably get in the future.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #544 of 1,061

I'm using them with laptop but I've just bought Meridian Explorer2, you might want to check it out. I don't think you need separate amp and dac for X2. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #545 of 1,061

Quote:
  To be completely honest, you don't need any amp for your X2. As Baycode said somewhere in this thread, they sound great even out of a Galaxy Tab S. But otherwise, I would go for the Vali/Magni combo as they should drive a huge number of  headphones that you will probably get in the future.

Yep, X2 sounds already great without an amp.

It sounds great even directly out of my LG G3, Samsung Galaxy Tab S and Sandisk Sansa Fuze.

But when I put DV336SE between the the X2 and the source, X2 gets even (slightly*) better.

I have tried some solid state amps but none of them performed as good as my tube amp (DV336SE).

So I can vote for the Vali/Magni stack (even though I didn't hear it -so take my words 'smaller than a grain of salt'-).

You can start without an amp at first. If you feel that you need a DAC/AMP you may add it to the food chain later...

*Slightly: this definition can differ from person to person, I value even the "slightest" improvements and they can be "BIG improvements" for me, so I write "slight" here for to keep the definition more universal.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #546 of 1,061

I'm using them with laptop but I've just bought Meridian Explorer2, you might want to check it out. I don't think you need separate amp and dac for X2. 

Yep, X2 sounds already great without an amp.

It sounds great even directly out of my LG G3, Samsung Galaxy Tab S and Sandisk Sansa Fuze.

But when I put DV336SE between the the X2 and the source, X2 gets even (slightly*) better.

I have tried some solid state amps but none of them performed as good as my tube amp (DV336SE).

So I can vote for the Vali/Magni stack (even though I didn't hear it -so take my words 'smaller than a grain of salt'-).

You can start without an amp at first. If you feel that you need a DAC/AMP you may add it to the food chain later...

*Slightly: this definition can differ from person to person, I value even the "slightest" improvements and they can be "BIG improvements" for me, so I write "slight" here for to keep the definition more universal.

Thanks for the replies, I feel like I'm hearing slight static coming from my motherboard sometimes, so I'd like a separate source. I used to drive my X1s with the E17 and have notice some "improvement", but that was a while ago.
Actually, I almost purchased the Vali stack, but have seen that it can be bad for lower impedance headphones. Still not sure yet, so many choices haha.

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #547 of 1,061

Thanks for the replies, I feel like I'm hearing slight static coming from my motherboard sometimes, so I'd like a separate source. I used to drive my X1s with the E17 and have notice some "improvement", but that was a while ago.
Actually, I almost purchased the Vali stack, but have seen that it can be bad for lower impedance headphones. Still not sure yet, so many choices haha.

I think output impedance of the amp should be 1 ohm or less. Explorer2 has 0.47 ohm output impedance. I had the original Explorer, it was very good, had smooth, organic and fluid sound. Sadly the output impedance was too high at 5 ohms. They solved this issue with Explorer2. Plus added some features from Meridian's much pricier gear so it should be even better.

https://www.meridian-audio.com/products/personal-audio/explorer2/

Explorer2 has a line-out so you can add an amp to the chain should you feel the need (in case you decide to buy Sennheiser HD800 etc.)

Explorer2 supports Meridian's new invention, MQA (Master Quality Authenticated). Meridian isn't about gimmicks, if they say something is better, they're probably right so I'm excited by MQA. The only problem is it has to be applied at mastering stage and you need hardware which can decode MQA (which Explorer2 has). The file can still be in flac/alac format so it'll still be played by non-MQA devices but you can only hear the benefits of MQA with an MQA-enabled device such as Explorer2.

Ps: Meridian co-developed Dolby TrueHD with Dolby.

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #548 of 1,061

It's my impression too that tubes works well with the X2's. I tried using the Lyr, and background noise aside, that amp really made the X2's sing. Maybe 6 watts was a little overkill though hehe. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #549 of 1,061
Would you say dealing with the background noise is worth it? I know there will be background noise with the Vali, so having someone who can judge is always great.

It's my impression too that tubes works well with the X2's. I tried using the Lyr, and background noise aside, that amp really made the X2's sing. Maybe 6 watts was a little overkill though hehe. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #551 of 1,061
I've found some success using Beyer's A200p (output impedance of 1.1 Ohms) with the X2. Perhaps a bit more open and transparent than straight out of iPad mini retina (using lossless files). I've also been using a 3' KabelDirekt cable purchased on Amazon for 8 bucks. Sounds very similar to stock cable, I just like the shorter length -- may try the $50 Cardas 1m cable just for fun.

I couldn't be happier with the X2. Try Jackson Browne's Solo Acoustic, Vol. 2 -- I hear more crowd detail than with the T70p, Senn. 600, HE400 or Denon AH-D2000. Maybe it's not the detail, per se, but the way the detail contributes, in a meaningful way, to conveying the emotion in Browne's vocals. All I know is that it's been hard to stop listening. . . . . Incidentally, I probably have about 150 hours of play time on them at this point.

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #552 of 1,061
Hi guys, i'm going to get my first pair of open headphones to use at home, Which do you think is better atm, The HiFiman HE400 or the Fidelio X2 ? they are about the same price however, i could get the HE 400 for 250 but it will be a refurb model directly from HiFiMan. Also which has better soundstage ?

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #554 of 1,061
  Hi guys, i'm going to get my first pair of open headphones to use at home, Which do you think is better atm, The HiFiman HE400 or the Fidelio X2 ? they are about the same price however, i could get the HE 400 for 250 but it will be a refurb model directly from HiFiMan. Also which has better soundstage ?

X2.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #555 of 1,061

He400i :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back