Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Jan 18, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #707 of 1,061
  Can anyone tell me how the x2 compares to the hifiman he 500?? Which one has better bass and sq?

I recently commented that the x2 might be compared to the he560...like dynamic driver version. The x2 will have more bass and treble and is slightly "u" shaped. The he500 will be more balanced with less bass and treble with slightly better mids. 

I'd take the x2 in either case unless you just dig the planar mag sound. The planars will have more speed and quicker decay. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #708 of 1,061
  Dude are you in Logan?? Is this my clone brother??

Well Hello,

Prolificaudio - (from down south)

I was wondering when you would discover my Head-Fi Identity
ph34r.gif

hehe,  Yes we are clones. Like Hi-Fi - Jedi-Clones
ph34r.gif

Good to see you brother!
beerchug.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #710 of 1,061
haha nice!

yeah I first located you when you said you put your Shure's up for sale
ph34r.gif

Guess we should continue chat in PM's as to not spam the forum
L3000.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #713 of 1,061
I would say that there is some scale to be had with the x2. Neutral amps and sources tend to work better than warmer ones IMO. I only had the fiio e10k when I first got the x2. Then a week later I switched over to the uberfrost and Asgard 2 and it was a pretty large leap forward. 

The fiio tended to overemphasize the bass/warmth and it was somewhat too bassy. The Asgard is a very clean, neutral amp with a very slight warmth to it and it matches very well with the x2. The bass now hits hard and tight and sounds fantastic IME. There dynamics are also better on the schiit stack. This stack may be more than what the x2 needs but man does it sound wonderful. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #714 of 1,061
  I would say that there is some scale to be had with the x2. Neutral amps and sources tend to work better than warmer ones IMO. I only had the fiio e10k when I first got the x2. Then a week later I switched over to the uberfrost and Asgard 2 and it was a pretty large leap forward. 

The fiio tended to overemphasize the bass/warmth and it was somewhat too bassy. The Asgard is a very clean, neutral amp with a very slight warmth to it and it matches very well with the x2. The bass now hits hard and tight and sounds fantastic IME. There dynamics are also better on the schiit stack. This stack may be more than what the x2 needs but man does it sound wonderful. 

I agree, my tube rig with the same DAC on both, the bass is more loose, and treble is not as smooth, more prone to be a little peaky.  The same DAC into my Denon 4800 125wpc from speaker taps, bass is tight, sound is more dynamic and the treble is ironed out, more smooth, and the sound is more holographic!   Difference is not slight between a good tube amp @1.5wpc into 30ohms, vs the 4800 @16wpc into 30ohms!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back