Philips Fidelio L1 any good for jpop jrock ?
Sep 26, 2012 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

carlove

100+ Head-Fier

Hi!

I'm looking into these headphones by Philips. Does anyone here know about them? 
Do they have a lot of bass? (I'm not a bass lover, and don't really like hearing the bass guitar play loudly. (Loudly as in; as if it's  like a lead-guitar)
And how will they do in (j)rock and (j)pop?

Also, how's the noice isolation/leakage, since it's an open-model.

Thanks!

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 8
Hello carlove,

I'm listening to some J-Pop through these headphones right now, and can tell you that they sound very good to me. They are a bit bass heavy, but not overpowering, (at least not to my ears). I tend to use these with my iPhone 4 and iPod classic, and they sound very good. I've found them to have a laid back sound signature when used on their own, but really open up when used with an amp. I would suggest you try to give them a listen at an Apple Store if you can find them. Overall, I like these headphones. The only other full size cans that I can compare them to are my Sennheiser HD-580, and compared to that classic, the L1 sounds pretty good. They have more bass than the 580s', and the midrange is good, but the 580s' have a wider, deeper soundstage in my opinion. I can't compare them to any of the more current models out there at the moment, but I would suggest trying to listen to Sennheiser's new Momentum Headphones. They are brand new, and many here have said they have a brighter sound compared to the L1. I would try to listen to both and see how you feel about them.

As far as sound leakage, the L1s' are semi-open headphones and they do leak some sound, but I've found leakage to be fairly low. Happy Listening!

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 8
If you live in Europe you can buy one for less than 190 € on Amazon.it and Amazon.de (the actual price is even lower than the MRSP on the M1). :D

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
If you live in Europe you can buy one for less than 190 € on Amazon.it and Amazon.de (the actual price is even lower than the MRSP on the M1).
biggrin.gif

Actually, the L1 is only 175 euro in my country. (the Netherlands).

hehe c:

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Hello carlove,

I'm listening to some J-Pop through these headphones right now, and can tell you that they sound very good to me. They are a bit bass heavy, but not overpowering, (at least not to my ears). I tend to use these with my iPhone 4 and iPod classic, and they sound very good. I've found them to have a laid back sound signature when used on their own, but really open up when used with an amp. I would suggest you try to give them a listen at an Apple Store if you can find them. Overall, I like these headphones. The only other full size cans that I can compare them to are my Sennheiser HD-580, and compared to that classic, the L1 sounds pretty good. They have more bass than the 580s', and the midrange is good, but the 580s' have a wider, deeper soundstage in my opinion. I can't compare them to any of the more current models out there at the moment, but I would suggest trying to listen to Sennheiser's new Momentum Headphones. They are brand new, and many here have said they have a brighter sound compared to the L1. I would try to listen to both and see how you feel about them.

As far as sound leakage, the L1s' are semi-open headphones and they do leak some sound, but I've found leakage to be fairly low. Happy Listening!

Hm hm, I see. And have you listened to any J-rock through them? 

I've heard that sound leakage is very low on them, yeah!
I'm going to the Apple store tomorrow. (iPhone 5 outbreak). And will listen to them there, IF they have them. 
I just now checked their website, and they don't have them.Read many great reviews about these and then one user bashing into them, I usually take the bashing quite serious.
Can you tell me a bit more about the bass? Are they overpowering?

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Hello carlove,

Lol, read fail ''Are they overpowering?'' ''But not overowering.'' 

Anyway, the 580's aren't available in my country anymore. D:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back