Philips 963SA - Clicking sound?
Jun 24, 2004 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Orpheus

Headphoneus Supremus
hi.

just got my 963 today. dang good deal. however, the transport mechanism seems to make a clicking sound ever 1 sec or so. i tried different discs, and still same thing. i mean, it's not loud or anything. but if you're sitting close to the player, it gets pretty annoying. you guys experience the same thing?--or perhaps mine is a little defective? otherwise, no other problems. pretty well built, other than that clicking sound.
confused.gif

Jun 24, 2004 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 20
Yes, my two players do the same thing. Not really loud, and not noticeable with headphones on. BTW it's rather every 1.4 sec.
tongue.gif

Anyway, have fun with your new player! I think you get good sound (and picture) for the money.

peacesign.gif

Jun 24, 2004 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus
hi.

just got my 963 today. dang good deal. however, the transport mechanism seems to make a clicking sound ever 1 sec or so. i tried different discs, and still same thing. i mean, it's not loud or anything. but if you're sitting close to the player, it gets pretty annoying. you guys experience the same thing?--or perhaps mine is a little defective? otherwise, no other problems. pretty well built, other than that clicking sound.
confused.gif

I have a Rotel RCD-02 that exhibits the same problem, my player clicks about twice per second, I contacted Rotel and they said that this was definitely not normal so I have sent mine off for repair, I suggest you contact Philips and ask them, I also sit close to my unit and it is really annoying and mine got decidedly worse to the point where it was like a london Taxi on tickover...

Jun 24, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 20
Hi,

I've had the same problem with my 963sa. Just killing for late night listening sessions, right. Got rid of it by placing a selfmade heat absorber underneath the player. Never heard the annoying sound again. Hope this helps, cause this player *is* a real gem. Be sure to put it on vibrapods.

cheers

Jun 24, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 20
The one I got my brother also does this. Doesn't bother him, drove me crazy.

Jun 25, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #8 of 20
My 963SA clicks as well, though I can't hear it when I have my headphones on. I have, however, happened upon a cure for the clicking. When I elevate the front of the player between 15 and 20 degrees the clicking stops. Still, I don't particularly care for such a rakish angle to my player so I don't generally keep the front elevated. My belief is that there is some kind of imbalance in the drive mechanism which smooths out when the front is raised. If you give this a try I'd be curious to know if it resolves your clicking noise as well.

Geo

Jun 25, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 20
I just got mine and it's dead quiet. I don't know what causes the click. I got mine at Good Guys. They had two in my town but both were open box. One had no remote and some scratches, the other clicked loud enough that I could hear it in the noisy store. I drove to another town 2 hrs away -had to go there anyway- and found a clean one that's quiet. That one was missing the remote door but they found one just in time to save the deal.
Has anyone tried to contact Philips on this? I'm kinda curious.
CPW

Jun 26, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #11 of 20
yeah, i think the clicking has to do with the drive. dont want to scare any of you...but i'd be a little worried if it clicks, since there are some out there that aren't clicking. it might mean nothing though.

but i got one of those not too long ago, and mine died. it definitely had something to do with the drive, because it would only play if i reposition the drive (flip it or play it upside down, etc...). so i had to return it. so the drive imbalance thing might be the problem.

Jun 26, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #12 of 20
it's doubtful it's an imbalance problem.... i checked again, and it happens in regular intervals about 1.8s-2s apart about. and you know, CDs spin much faster than that. so, i have no idea what's causing this noise. it's really weird. or perhaps there are sprockets inside that spin slower than the actual CD rotation speed, and something attached there's causing the noise.

the noise is pretty quiet though, and if you don't listen near to the unit, you might not even notice it.

i tried tilting the unit in every direction. same loudness and frequency.

Jun 26, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #13 of 20
Mine also clicks, but I can't hear it unless I'm within a foot or so of the player or the room is completely dead quiet. I've upgraded my firmware but the click is still there. Funny thing is, it doesn't click when I play SACDs (hybrids). I haven't tried it with all of my SACDs, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back