Philadelphia area meet, Sunday Jan 31st Impresssions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2016 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

jp11801

aka JP-nums or JP-numbers
Lead Organizer for Can Jam '09
Lee thanks for a great time!!

So much great people, gear and I am sure some fantastic photos as well. I picked up the Melco NA1 transport from Sunil from Care Audio and will be enjoying an in house demo this week with this fabulous piece of gear.

Some highlights for me were the Mr Speakers Ether both the open and closed versions were fantastic! To all the ortho headphone manufactures out there this is the way to make a supremely comfortable ortho headphone! Loved the fit and looks of both but did feel they were slightly behind both the HE-6 and LCD-X in sonics. They may be the  best overall when fit and comfort are combined with sonics. I need to get a pair of these at the house for an extended demo to really get a feel for them. 

I got a chance to hear the Noble Kaiser 10U Aluminum universal and was not wowed. They lacked top end extension to portray acoustic guitar finger picking articulation or cymbal brush work but they did have great bass and mids, maybe too much bass. This is coming from my experience with JH13 and 16 CIEMs, I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on these as I really wanted to love them. 

More to come but right now it's time to put my rig back together and get ready for Monday. 

Thanks again Lee for a great day 

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 26
Thanks to everyone who came out!  As usual, I got to listen to very little, but that's ok...I wanted to make sure everyone was having fun!  One thing that did stand out was the ZOTL amp driving the ZMF headphones.  That's a sweet combo.  The Schist Yggy feeding the Woo WA5-LE was sublime as well.  

Special thanks to...

...Woo Audio, Enigmacoustics and Astell & Kern for sending demo units!

...AudioQuest, Woo Audio and Noble for sending raffle items!

...ZMF Headphones and Linear Tube Audio for bringing their gear to try!

...all those who bought raffle tickets to help defray some of the costs!  Congrats to those who won!

I'm going to have more people to thank...I'm just on overload.  

Here are some pics for you!!

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 26
Lee, thanks for setting up the terrific meet.  Should have chatted with more people and listened to more rigs, but I had a great time.  Still can't believe I won these awesome IEMs - thank you Noble!

I've never heard some of the higher tier headphones like the LCDs and now I finally know what the fuss is all about.  I liked all of the variants I tried but the X and XC were truly amazing on that gorgeous Woo rig - probably the best sounding I've ever heard.  I liked the ZMFs also.

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 26
This is the 3rd Time for this location I believe and every time gets better and better! I had a blast! Can not wait till next time! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 26
Had no idea you were filming while I was talking with you @zeospantera. Hate being filmed lol but whatever. That was a long drive and just made it back home. It was a great meet and got to hear a lot of great rigs.Thanks for hosting it Lee.

Feb 1, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #8 of 26
  Lee thanks for a great time!!

So much great people, gear and I am sure some fantastic photos as well. I picked up the Melco NA1 transport from Sunil from Care Audio and will be enjoying an in house demo this week with this fabulous piece of gear.

Some highlights for me were the Mr Speakers Ether both the open and closed versions were fantastic! To all the ortho headphone manufactures out there this is the way to make a supremely comfortable ortho headphone! Loved the fit and looks of both but did feel they were slightly behind both the HE-6 and LCD-X in sonics. They may be the  best overall when fit and comfort are combined with sonics. I need to get a pair of these at the house for an extended demo to really get a feel for them. 

I got a chance to hear the Noble Kaiser 10U Aluminum universal and was not wowed. They lacked top end extension to portray acoustic guitar finger picking articulation or cymbal brush work but they did have great bass and mids, maybe too much bass. This is coming from my experience with JH13 and 16 CIEMs, I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on these as I really wanted to love them. 

More to come but right now it's time to put my rig back together and get ready for Monday. 

Thanks again Lee for a great day 

Agree - Thanks Lee for hosting!

And sorry JP you were not "wowed" by the K10's. It's funny because "wow" is pretty much the exact word almost everyone said after they tried them. But that's one of the things that makes this hobby so interesting - everyone has different tastes! 

Thanks again all and cheers 

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #9 of 26
Thanks again for a great meet! Very informative for me. It was good to discover that the Audeze LCD-X and -XC we glorious and euphonic and forgiving, but perhaps a hair too forgiving for a fair bit of my listening habits. It was also great to discover that I really want to some day grab the Philips X2 and/or Fostex TH-X00 if funds ever free up. Lots of great stuff. Thanks very much, folks!

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #10 of 26
Thank you all for organizing this meet. I was there for a couple of hours - thanks John P for the heads-up. Its been a while I hung out at head-fi. 

Micro-ZOTL was everywhere and sounded amazing. I need to pickup the "Dharma" phones - wow! Since I have and sell the Hifiman and Audeze - I did not spend much time with either brands - HE1000 are just amazing as we know - but Enigma Acoustic really was the biggest surprise.

It was great to see some old and new faces and great to hang out with Mark from ZOTL.

Thanks Lee Shelly, JP and others ...

Cheers
Sunil

Feb 1, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 26
I am akin to the typical audiophile sound but i don't shun out alternative routes. Well one man and his setup simply blew my mind.
Im speaking of Zach of the company ZMF headphone.  My impression isn't of a man and his headphones but rather a portrayal or something more
Bear with me here lol.

This is the Deckware Taboo.  It drives 4 ortho's at once without losing any control and i have to say that it sounds wonderful.  I was expecting more of a tube sound but wasn't
really getting that impression from it.  
He had his original headphone offerings that i had heard before and left with good impressions the first time i'd heard them at the new york head-fi anonymous meet in 2014 the vibro
and the blackwood.  This year he also had the OMNI in a couple different wooden iterations and each having a little bit different voicing.
I preffered the light airiness of the cherry cup as it had a similar sound to hd800. What all of his headphones had going for them was texture and colors i had never heard from headphones
before.  It was as if the music was being painted right in front of your face.  There wasn't a ton of air in between each instrument but there didn't need to be. The seperation characteristics were very palpable and transient response time was spot on allowing for a very coherent presentation.  I had never heard Stevie R V littlewing have to much meet and soul to it.
Here's the plot twist and it's a little awkward but put things in a different perspective.
Do you guys know who this is?

Yes, the hookah smoking catepillar from Alice in Wonderland.  He liked to portray what he was talking about with smoke coming out of his hookah. Vibrant, colorful
and fascinating exhalations.  Well the Taboo is the Hookah and the Omni depicts these vibrant, colorful and fascinating exhalations.  It's very surreal.  Now i wouldn't in any way say
that Zach is the rather rude caterpillar because he's not.  He's a super cool dude and i thank him a lot for rolling in his caravan of gypsy magic to the show.  

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #13 of 26
Thank you everyone for hanging out with me at my table and for a overall great time!  I spend so much time making these that these events are just a real treat to hang out and listen to gear.  Every time I hear the WA5 I am really wowed and it was a super cool set-up over there on the U-turn vinyl rig.

Special thanks to @leesure for offering up his amazing space and being an all around awesome guy.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 1, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #14 of 26
Special thanks to @leesure
for offering up his amazing space and being an all around awesome guy.

Thanks for the compliment! I enjoyed having you there and hearing your 'phones!

Feb 1, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #15 of 26
Does anyone know of the he6 that woo audio brought was terminated in a balanced connection or 1/4 inch? I remember pairing it with the mjolnir and there was a lot to love about it but some peakiness that was hurting my ears. I've read countless times that It needs proper amping so I'm hoping it was only being ran single ended when I heard it. That's a setup I could possibly afford. I'd need to do some modding to the pads for sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back