PGGB Offline Remastering
Apr 20, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #271 of 282
FYI

Version 6.0.42: The DSD Edition (PGGB Plus)
SQ Changes:

None for PCM, newly introduces DSD.
Features:

PGGB now supports both PCM and DSD conversion, it uses the same high accuracy reconstruction algorithms for DSD upsampling as those used for PCM.
PGGB DSD supports conversion to DSD rates DSD128, DSD256, DSD512 and DSD1024. There are also a choice of single stage or two stage conversion.
PGGB DSD offers a choice of three modulators 5th, 7th and 9th order.
PGGB now supports conversion between 44.1kHz and 48kHz rate families for both PCM and DSD.
PGGB DSD supports EQ.
PGGB now allows you to create page file on Mac to better manage memory.
PGGB now implements memory optimization for better performance during paging.
EQ is accurate and faster when memory optimization is enabled for PCM.

PGGB DSD 512 9th order sounds fabulous on my Spring 3 KTE and Bliss KTE. I was very pleasantly surprised with how good the music sounds when converting 44.1kHz to 48kHz 768.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #272 of 282
FYI

Version 6.0.42: The DSD Edition (PGGB Plus)
SQ Changes:

None for PCM, newly introduces DSD.
Features:

PGGB now supports both PCM and DSD conversion, it uses the same high accuracy reconstruction algorithms for DSD upsampling as those used for PCM.
PGGB DSD supports conversion to DSD rates DSD128, DSD256, DSD512 and DSD1024. There are also a choice of single stage or two stage conversion.
PGGB DSD offers a choice of three modulators 5th, 7th and 9th order.
PGGB now supports conversion between 44.1kHz and 48kHz rate families for both PCM and DSD.
PGGB DSD supports EQ.
PGGB now allows you to create page file on Mac to better manage memory.
PGGB now implements memory optimization for better performance during paging.
EQ is accurate and faster when memory optimization is enabled for PCM.

PGGB DSD 512 9th order sounds fabulous on my Spring 3 KTE and Bliss KTE. I was very pleasantly surprised with how good the music sounds when converting 44.1kHz to 48kHz 768.
I can only seem to find 5.3.46.0 in the download section of Remastero.com. Is PGGB Plus 6.0.42 hosted somewhere else or am I not looking at the section?

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #273 of 282
Apr 21, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #274 of 282
Via the T+A Dac200, an ideal partner for upsampled DSD, PGGB DSD512 offers significant improvements over the PCM version based on early listening.

There's lots of options (different upsampling "types") but based on 1 step upsampling red book to DSD512, this is pretty special.

Apr 22, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #275 of 282
Indeed, PGGB DSD is an endgame. My May absolutely loves PGGB'd DSD1024 and my computer absolutely hates it :)

Apr 22, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #276 of 282

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #277 of 282
You may start to see an increase in the spread of disinformation about PGGB now that PGGB supports DSD. I was thus pleased to see a new addition to the PGGB website that addresses the common myths and half truths:

https://www.remastero.com/faq-plus.html#Myths

Often the smear merchants rely on use of the straw man fallacy. They will misrepresent what PGGB does to make it easier to attack. If the harsh critic doesn’t provide proof that the current version of PGGB does what they claim, consider taking their claims with a grain of salt.

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #278 of 282
You may start to see an increase in the spread of disinformation about PGGB now that PGGB supports DSD. I was thus pleased to see a new addition to the PGGB website that addresses the common myths and half truths:

https://www.remastero.com/faq-plus.html#Myths

Often the smear merchants rely on use of the straw man fallacy. They will misrepresent what PGGB does to make it easier to attack. If the harsh critic doesn’t provide proof that the current version of PGGB does what they claim, consider taking their claims with a grain of salt.

This section has been greatly expanded. Charts are now provided to refute the critics. Even if the myths don’t interest you, you may find the explanations awfully-interesting.

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:03 AM Post #279 of 282
This section has been greatly expanded. Charts are now provided to refute the critics. Even if the myths don’t interest you, you may find the explanations awfully-interesting.
The section appears to be hastily written in response to yesterday's discussion over at the HQPlayer thread, it contains a lot of misspelled words. However the charts are interesting as it is exactly the kind of experiment I proposed.

I'm very curious how PGGB achieved a very long filter with a steep corner frequency with apparently less ringing than a short Gaussian filter.
The Gaussian filters occupy the minimum surface area in the time-frequency domain and there's usually no cheating math. I know PGGB says the algorithm doesn't do windowed sinc but still it seems implausible to me they have found a way to work around this mathematical tradeoff.

Apr 27, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #280 of 282
I'm very curious how PGGB achieved a very long filter with a steep corner frequency with apparently less ringing than a short Gaussian filter.
The Gaussian filters occupy the minimum surface area in the time-frequency domain and there's usually no cheating math. I know PGGB says the algorithm doesn't do windowed sinc but still it seems implausible to me they have found a way to work around this mathematical tradeoff.

Cant pretend Gibbs doesn’t exist.

Narrow in frequency is wide in time. Narrow in time is wide in frequency.
The narrower the bandwidth, the wider the Sinc function that rings on both sides. The only way to get something narrower in one domain, other than a Sinc in another, is to use a Gaussian filter (no steep edges)

Minimum phase filters have no pre-ringing in the time domain, only post ringing. Pre-ringing only happens for linear phase filters, and is much much more audible than post-ringing due to how our auditory system works.

Saying that the corner frequencies being higher or lower is simply irrelevant. As you increase the filter's cutoff frequency, the ringing will become more localized in time. Ringing does occurs at the corner frequencies of the filter triggered by the content. With a minimum phase Gaussian filter, there is no pre ringing for the content to trigger.

This is starting to look real MQA-ish.

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #281 of 282
I've just posted a video demonstrating that not only can high performance oversampling indeed make an audible difference vs standard filters, but therefore DACs themselves even if 120dB SINAD can also still sound different and are in fact not necessarily 'Audibly Transparent'

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #282 of 282

Users who are viewing this thread

Back