PFE232 and westone 4r and um3x
May 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

silversx

New Head-Fier
I have the 4r and i think it does sound a bit flat.. my um3x sound much bigger than the 4r

however i've been reading up on the pfe232 and it's insane price of 600 for a 2 driver system

to anyone who has heard it an think it's better than the um3x or w4r? i just can't wrap my mind around how it's physically able to sound better using only two drivers vs 4 drivers.. 

May 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 22
I have the pfe232 and the um3x. I much prefer the pfe232 and I have high regards for the um3x. What Phonak did with only 2 BA drivers is a phenomenal accomplishment. It's difficult for me to listen to my other iems.

May 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 22
I have the pfe232 and the um3x. I much prefer the pfe232 and I have high regards for the um3x. What Phonak did with only 2 BA drivers is a phenomenal accomplishment. It's difficult for me to listen to my other iems.

Does the 232 tame the treble of the um3x and lift the ever so slight veil I hear? Is it as sensitive or a little less than the 3x? Oh and how is the isolation?

I agree with the OP that the UM3x is more lively than the 4.

May 17, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 22
There's no veil with the treble and I'm using the grey filters mostly. However, some people do find it sibilant but I certainly don't. It is noticeably less sensitive and isolates less as well but not significantly.

May 17, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 22
The sound. For my preferences is the closest to perfection out of all of the iems I've heard or owned. I've owned the majority of top tier iems and I also own customs. The only thing that's bugging me right now is how the AKG K3003 sounds, but they are very pricey.

edit:
The fit is better with the pfe232

May 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 22
i find the fit with um3x is very nice.. w4 hurts my ears sometimes after long session.. so the 232 fits better? i wonder if the isolation is due to tips? will the um3x comply tips work on 232?

May 17, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:
i find the fit with um3x is very nice.. w4 hurts my ears sometimes after long session.. so the 232 fits better? i wonder if the isolation is due to tips? will the um3x comply tips work on 232?

I actually like the fit of both the W4 and um3x but find the um3x isolates a little better.  I think the 232 comes with comply tips in s/m/l and silicone tips.  I think I might have to give it a shot.  I love the W4 but the veil bugs me at times. 

Can you sleep with the 232's in - as in do they sit flush?

May 17, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 22
The comply tips for the um3x won't work with the pfe232 but the pfe232 does come with 3 pairs of different size black foam comply tips which I've never used. The isolation would most likely would be better with the comply tips. I use the large silicon tips with a shallow insertion and I get a great seal with them. They sit flush for me and I'm able to lay down with them without any discomfort.

May 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 22
price vs drivers doesnt matter. its all about tuning, quality of drivers used. r&d behind the product. so to say well its 600 for a dual balanced diver, really doesnt have have basis of justification. obviously the pfe232 are good.

but personally i dont find the pfe very asthetically pleasing. 

May 17, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:
The comply tips for the um3x won't work with the pfe232 but the pfe232 does come with 3 pairs of different size black foam comply tips which I've never used. The isolation would most likely would be better with the comply tips. I use the large silicon tips with a shallow insertion and I get a great seal with them. They sit flush for me and I'm able to lay down with them without any discomfort.

I believe some isolation is lost due to the vents, however it shouldn't be a deal-breaker. I haven't used them outside my office, but they do block out the squawking of my parrot (which is rather impressive). 

I haven't tried laying down with them, but the comfort really is outstanding. It's easy to forget you are wearing them.

On a side note, I am selling my 232s . You can find the classified post here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/610556/phonak-audeo-pfe-232s-perfect-condition-original-packaging-accessories

Edit: Mods can delete this post or remove the link if it violates the rules in some way

May 18, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

I believe some isolation is lost due to the vents, however it shouldn't be a deal-breaker. I haven't used them outside my office, but they do block out the squawking of my parrot (which is rather impressive). 

I haven't tried laying down with them, but the comfort really is outstanding. It's easy to forget you are wearing them.

On a side note, I am selling my 232s . You can find the classified post here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/610556/phonak-audeo-pfe-232s-perfect-condition-original-packaging-accessories

Edit: Mods can delete this post or remove the link if it violates the rules in some way

I want to make a correction, there is no vent/port on the 232.  The vent/port-looking thing actually has no holes and is for aesthetics only. 

I can only compare the 232 to 4s, I too prefer the 232s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back