PFE vs. SA6
Aug 30, 2009 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Scott549

100+ Head-Fier
I raised this question in the PFE appreciation thread but feared it might get buried.

Who has heard both the PFE and the SA6? How do they compare? I am specifically interested in the bass response.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 7
the new SA6 is sturdier. I think it hasn't yet been marketted, but it has a new plastic o-ring around the treble port which is much better than the old one. For that reason, I think it should stand up.

I prefer the sound of the SA6 to the PFE quite assuredly, but I reckon that the PFE is a better deal to the 249$ SA6. Though, the SA6' customisability is great - simply great. Bass is leagues better and mids are great.

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the new SA6 is sturdier. I think it hasn't yet been marketted, but it has a new plastic o-ring around the treble port which is much better than the old one.

Do you mean the "2009 Edition" SA6 (pictured here)? If so, that's the version Sleek Audio currently ships.
smily_headphones1.gif

I should be receiving a pair soon (to replace my shoddy original-version SA6), so I'll let you know how the build quality seems to compare.

As far as bass response is concerned, I personally found the SA6' stronger and more tactile than the PFE's (and tunable, to boot). Like shigzeo, I much prefer the SA6 to the PFE. I'm one of the few who didn't really care for the PFEs overall, though -- so my opinions don't necessarily reflect the (head-fi) norm.

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 7
The SA6 is an IEM I really still want to try. I've used the PFE, and at its price, it's an awesome deal. To step to the SA6, you really have to justify spending an extra $100 which is a sizable step up.

I hold the PFE in high regards because it does a lot of key things very right. It is ultra accurate and effortlessly dynamic. It has great transparency. The frequency response is good, and the filters add some adjustment on this. EQing can however improve upon the end sound and balance out the response. The top end response is a bit ragged and does improve considerably with EQing. Comfort is great with the over-ear design, and you get zero microphonics from the cord doing this. Isolation is great. Build quality is decent, especially for an IEM that was specifically geared as a budget product from a company that makes multi-thousand dollar hearing aids. To build a product as good as it is in the low hundreds is quite a feat. It's not a particularly durable feeling IEM with the plastic casing and simple cord design with no stress reliefs.

Now personal preference will dictate if one option is better then another. For example with the comment of the SA6 having superior bass to the PFE, I would doubt it. I would say it presents the bass differently. The PFE itself doesn't do anything wrong in the bass region. There is a slight EQ hump (+3dB) over the midbass and bass region that provides a full presentation. Notes are effortless and crisp. Frequency response does extend well down to 20-30Hz. It's not sloppy or lacks anything. However, it does sound different then another product. Personal preference will become the determining factor in which is better simply because in terms of raw function, the PFE doesn't fail. However, I like the bass response of other earphones better for personal reasons. I personally like more weight to the notes, clean, but with more body. I like to hear a more evolved attack and decay of a note. The PFE to me is too clean. It's to crisp, too short on note and doesn't give enough time (my preference) to develop the note. Bass and most other notes go as quickly as they come. This is all just personal preference though.

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 7
I would also add, that in addition to the improvement to the SA6 shell, the new cable is a big step up from the previous version. The old one was failure prone for me (and others, apparently). The new one is more flexible, less microphonic and seems to be durable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back