Peter Brotzmann Appreciation
Jan 19, 2007 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
broetzmann_schindelbeck.jpg

Okay guys, Peter Brotzmann is not getting enough love over here. And that's surprising, being he's so hug-able already and looks like he eats lots of chocolate..
biggrin.gif

This guy rocks harder than any metal band I've ever heard, and must be one of the best reed musicians alive at the moment. A master of the slur, he took Albert Ayler to a whole new level - playing with your teeth has never sounded like this before.

I present to newcomers the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHQVBvVd1k8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSD_qvGbCJk

Jan 19, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 15
Hello gentlemen,

I see that both Aman and gratefulshrink are from the NYC area. Did either of you happen to catch the Peter Brötzmann Chicago Tentet a few years ago when they opened for Sonic Youth at the Hammersmith Ballroom on 34th Street?

A killer show. There's nothing quite like seeing a free jazz big band live. The wall of sound and pure energy that comes blasting out at you is just pure bliss for someone whose mind is in the right place. Needless to say I stood there and let the music wash over me like waves of the ocean.

I was standing fairly close to the stage and after the Tentet finished and Sonic Youth took the stage, the crowd surged forward and I turned around and headed for less crowded space at the back but with a big happy grin on my face. Oh yeah, Sonic Youth let out a nice wall of sound too but they needed electric guitars and lots of amplifiers to do what Brötzmann and the gang did with acoustic instruments and shear force of will.

Jan 19, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello gentlemen,

I see that both Aman and gratefulshrink are from the NYC area. Did either of you happen to catch the Peter Brötzmann Chicago Tentet a few years ago when they opened for Sonic Youth at the Hammersmith Ballroom on 34th Street?

A killer show. There's nothing quite like seeing a free jazz big band live. The wall of sound and pure energy that comes blasting out at you is just pure bliss for someone whose mind is in the right place. Needless to say I stood there and let the music wash over me like waves of the ocean.

I was standing fairly close to the stage and after the Tentet finished and Sonic Youth took the stage, the crowd surged forward and I turned around and headed for less crowded space at the back but with a big happy grin on my face. Oh yeah, Sonic Youth let out a nice wall of sound too but they needed electric guitars and lots of amplifiers to do what Brötzmann and the gang did with acoustic instruments and shear force of will.

You know, I may have seen the show, but only arrived for Sonic Youth. Was it about 6 or 7 years ago?

Jan 19, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, I may have seen the show, but only arrived for Sonic Youth. Was it about 6 or 7 years ago?

There were two different Sonic Youth shows at the Hammersmith Ballroom on 34th Street. At one show the Peter Brötzmann Chicago Tentet opened and at the other show the David S. Ware Quartet opened. I believe the Brötzmann show took place sometime in 2000 and the Ware show maybe about a year eariler but I'm not 100% sure on the dates, I could be off by a year or two.

Jan 19, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I will always love and appreciate about SY is their connection to free jazz, and their willingess to promote other bands (rock or jazz) when they tour.

Very true. Best "noise guitar" band in the world.

Jan 19, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"One of the greatest [saxophone players] alive"
-President Bill Clinton on Peter Brotzmann

Is that quote for real? Please provide a reference. My leg is starting to hurt.
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that quote for real? Please provide a reference.

Evidently it's from the 2001 Music Issue of Oxford American.

Oxford American Magazine: "What would people be surprised to know that you listen to?"

Bill Clinton: "Brotzmann, the tenor sax player, one of the greatest alive."

Jan 19, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Evidently it's from the 2001 Music Issue of Oxford American.

Oxford American Magazine: "What would people be surprised to know that you listen to?"

Bill Clinton: "Brotzmann, the tenor sax player, one of the greatest alive."

Thanks, my leg is feeling much better now, but my hat doesn't taste so good. Got any salt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back