Pet advice: Small animal with most personality
Dec 12, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #31 of 50
You never know where a gerbil's been.
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But that's their charm. They are the funniest pet I've ever owned. Never a day went by that mine didn't make me laugh uncontrollably 10+ times per day.

Certainly is. Whatever trouble a ferret can get into, they will, that you can count on. Frustrating at first, but after you get used to the routine, they're a riot. Whenever they aren't sleeping, they are up to some kind of mischief.

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by fat pat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
awful...simply awful
biggrin.gif

lol

That actually used to be the slogan for the Hamster site called Hamsterific.com. Made me laugh every time. Given that it is a family oriented sites, mainly aimed at kids, it didn't last too long. Wish I saved their banner pic.
tongue.gif

Love your avatar, BTW.
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #36 of 50
I've been a guinea pig owner for several years now. The thing is, they require a lot of care (there is no bad smell if you are diligent), a fair bit of space (bigger cages actually require less cleaning), and you would need to get at least 2 since they usually don't do well alone. Mine have lots of personality and like being petted and I think they are wonderful... but yes it's a lot of work. Oh, and don't let them near your cables if you let them run on the floor. I guess a boy would typically a prefer a rat since the care and rewards are comparable.

Dec 18, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #38 of 50
Personality: Sugar gliders.

If you get them REALLY young, and handle them VERY frequently, they can live in your pocket. My buddy is a pilot and brings his with him whenever he flies and even when he goes out to bars. That thing is on him like a cell phone. They're the cutest things and funny as hell. And if you CONSTANTLY carry them, they get separation anxiety and won't stray far if they're out of your pocket.

I've personally owned a chinchilla and they're a HORRIBLE pet to get if you live anywhere remotely hot, they'll die really easily if even your AC goes out. They're native to colder temps and the dust bath isn't anything out of the ordinary, infact, when you clean their cage, just put him in the bathtub in a shoebox filled with the dust and he'll be cleaning himself while you're cleaning his cage. Cool pet, but hell to own for me since I live in Florida.

Dec 18, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You never know where a gerbil's been.
wink.gif

Armageddon!
eek.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #40 of 50
Not meaning to revive this thread, but just in case someone ever wonders here looking for such info: pet chinchillas are not for little kids. They do not offer much interaction, won't cuddle at all. A chinchilla may enjoy sitting on your shoulder, like a little bird. They are not very smart but very, very, lightning fast, very difficult to catch once let loose. They also live very long
smily_headphones1.gif

Having said all that, we've got a 6 year old chinchilla and absolutely love him. Ours seems to be really on the friendlier side, he even enjoys being scratched gently, will come up to you for that, but I know this is not common. He lives in this huge 3 level "townhouse" cage in the basement... The smell is minimal, if any, but he does raise that dust he bathes in. He has these exceptionally strong teeth but will never, ever hurt you... So they are nice pets, just very peculiar, and definitely not for a little child.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #42 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sugar gliders also are messy, they are incontinent and spew urine everywhere. They also are messy eaters.

Like Redshifter?

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #44 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sugar gliders also are messy, they are incontinent and spew urine everywhere. They also are messy eaters. I am not an owner, I just did a little reading because I am fascinated by them.

Same with me
smily_headphones1.gif
Saw the pictures, they do look fascinating. Showed to my wife, she said one of her colleagues has one, an it is a messy an smelly animal. FWIW.

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like Redshifter?

The urine part, or messy eater part? lol
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back