Perhaps RE262's Are Not So Hard To Drive After All...
Jun 21, 2011 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ericfarrell85

Member of the Trade: WoodWarmth Products
I've been A/Bing the RE 262's straight out of an Ipod 6g and then through a Corda Headsix and am discovering very little difference, if any at all. The dynamics seem ever so slightly compressed straight out of an Ipod and the soundstage perhaps increased slightly with the Headsix but nothing apparent and perhaps even the effects of placebo. Nevertheless, there is a difference when going to a desktop amp: both an HDP and Gilmore Lite give the RE 262 more air, perhaps 15% more, and the treble is given greater note clarity, but again the difference isn't considerable. Is this just me I wonder? I am aware that an amp would be advantageous due to the increased battery consumption of a 262 when paired out of an ipod, but I was expecting a greater difference. I have become so acclimated to an LOD + AMP + Ipod combination that I have come to expect, by default, increased SQ. Similarly I discovered this evening that my TF10's sound better to me directly out of an Ipad than through an LOD + Headsix - but I believe the Ipad's lineout is slightly defective as it is difficult to establish a connection without a background hiss. The TF10's, given their low 32ohm impedance, I can wrap my head around being somewhat unaffected by a portable, but RE262's are surprising in this respect. The RE0's remain to this day the IEM which I found most sensitive to amping - very sensitive in fact, but nothing else I own approaches this magnitude of portable amp change. Any thoughts on this? Are you finding the RE 262's heavily advantaged by use of a portable? Thanks 

Eric 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back