Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
Dec 26, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #1,606 of 1,683
I upgraded my Perfect wave MK2 on Thursday to the Direct Stream. What is the legitimate amount of time for breakin. I know  the more hours then better, but I was curious. I listed to it for the first time now at 35 hours and the mk2 sounds better at this point. :frowning2:

I have been playing it 24/7 with a variety of ripped CD's HD tracks, and DSD 256. Is this the best method?

Thanks,
Ken

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #1,607 of 1,683
Many report break-in takes 500 hours. 

Playing a variety of music and/or pink noise into a load is best.  The preamp or amp to which the DirectStream is connected need not be powered up, but the DS needs to be connected so that it is driving a load.

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #1,609 of 1,683
Hi again,

I'm still debating on purchasing the Bridge-ll for my PWDll. I would like to know others experiences with this set up, please.
I would connect via Ethernet cable to my router and then connect my MBP via Ethernet cable to the router as well, correct? Otherwise from what I understand, you can't browse the web/stream music at the same time if the MBP/PWDll are not connected this way, is this correct?
Then I would download JRiver, correct?

If so, has anyone had any ongoing issues with this connection/JRiver while streaming music/browsing web at the same time…or is this is issue free? I'm asking because I don't want to make the investment for the Bridge-ll and have nothing but issues while listening to music/browsing the web and regret it. Any experiences with this will be very much appreciated before I make my decision. Thank you. 
smile.gif

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #1,612 of 1,683
I gave up on my bridge since with a WiFi to ethernet connection, it could only stream files 96/24 or less. I use an 8 foot USB cable from my music tower since it is in the same room.

Thank you..

Was this the only reason that you gave up on the bridge, or were there other issues as far as losing the signal? Also, using the USB connection from the PWDll, do you get the album art on the display screen? Being I bought the PWDll I would like to use it to its fullest potential with no hassles. I would be fine with files 96/24 or less, so in my case would you say it would be worth it for me to purchase the Bridge ll as long as there are no issues?

Thank you very much I appreciate your reply!
Joseph

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #1,613 of 1,683
Thank you..

Was this the only reason that you gave up on the bridge, or were there other issues as far as losing the signal? Also, using the USB connection from the PWDll, do you get the album art on the display screen? Being I bought the PWDll I would like to use it to its fullest potential with no hassles. I would be fine with files 96/24 or less, so in my case would you say it would be worth it for me to purchase the Bridge ll as long as there are no issues?

Thank you very much I appreciate your reply!
Joseph

My trials were in the days of elyric rather than JRivers. My PC was purpose built and is very quiet though not totally. I just didn't have a strong reason to deal with the bridge and elyric's problems. My PC is connected to a 46" LCD TV so album artwork is there and not on the PWD. I did not feel the sonics were better through the bridge.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #1,614 of 1,683
My trials were in the days of elyric rather than JRivers. My PC was purpose built and is very quiet though not totally. I just didn't have a strong reason to deal with the bridge and elyric's problems. My PC is connected to a 46" LCD TV so album artwork is there and not on the PWD. I did not feel the sonics were better through the bridge.

Great, thank you for your input on the SQ.
As far as the album art, I was just curious.
You've just saved me $1000.00 being I have no issues with the SQ from the PWD ll the way it is.
I just wanted to hear some impressions about the bridge.

Once again, thank you very much!
Joseph

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #1,615 of 1,683
hi there, just received a directstream fronm the states but i would like to convert the pwr supply to 240v but ps audio site is very silent on this matter (yes, they are directing customers to pay for this usd200+ upgrade).
irony, most of the dealers are just emailing the instructions to remote users like me in australia so i figured it can be done quite simply without any extra parts.

i tried to access your thread at http://www.psaudio.com/forum/#/discussion/6646/pwd2-voltage-conversion-120v-230v but i could not see the text that you suggest.

any assistance will be more than welcome

thanks

leong

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #1,617 of 1,683
I gave up on my bridge since with a WiFi to ethernet connection, it could only stream files 96/24 or less. I use an 8 foot USB cable from my music tower since it is in the same room.

Clarifying question on your point. Where is the 96/24 limit imposed? I'd expect that the Ethernet cable to the WiFi router or endpoint should look just like any other Ethernet connection to the Bridge. So I'm confused as to why there would be a limit imposed.

Thanks for clarifying and explaining, as I'm debating the merits of a Bridge and WiFi endpoint vs an external bridge like an Aries Mini.

-RJ

Jan 21, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #1,618 of 1,683
Clarifying question on your point. Where is the 96/24 limit imposed? I'd expect that the Ethernet cable to the WiFi router or endpoint should look just like any other Ethernet connection to the Bridge. So I'm confused as to why there would be a limit imposed.

Thanks for clarifying and explaining, as I'm debating the merits of a Bridge and WiFi endpoint vs an external bridge like an Aries Mini.

-RJ

I am not technical but the issue was the wifi. My router is on the second floor north side and my PWD is in the basement on the south side. I usually only get 2-3 mps.

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #1,619 of 1,683
Whew, I feel whole again now. I finally got my PWII DAC back together after blowing a fuse in it:frowning2:

I had a little trouble finding the replacement. After driving all over town and/or calling Graingers, Crescent, Graybar, Mobile Electronics, Border States, Menards, Lowe's, Home Depot, Dey, Karl's, Ace Hardware, I finally found them at Malloy Electronics. I found the fuse originally on Amazon, but it wasn't Prime 2 day shipping and I wanted it now instead of waiting 7 to 10 days:frowning2:

I figured this was a good time to try out the built in DAC in my Parasound integrated Amp while I was trying to locate the fuses and it was actually better than I thought it would be. But eventually dropped in my spare Bitfrost to wait out the time until I found said fuse. With the PWII back in action I am now breathing a little better:wink: Love this DAC!

The fuses that were in the PW are Ceramic 5x20mm, 1 amp, 250v, Slow Blow. The ones I found locally are glass instead of ceramic, but have ordered extra ceramic fuses from Amazon. I am seriously thinking of trying some Synergistic Research Black fuses for my DAC and Amp. There is an active thread on Audiogon, (search Synergistic Red fuse), and many have tried them and are describing major improvements to their systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back