Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Aug 29, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #1,336 of 2,804
Back to school cleaning:

r0025910.jpg

Brendan

Aug 29, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #1,339 of 2,804

Quote:
anyone recommend anything reasonably cheapish that takes standard cartridges? something like a safari but im not dealing with refiling cartridges, not now not ever.

ta in advance

wargh? every pen needs refilling, the safari can take standard cartridges (pop it out, pop it in n you're ready to go) or a removable piston filler (dip nib in bottle and twist and you're ready to go)

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #1,341 of 2,804

Quote:
I hate cartridges. More expensive, less option. But yeah, the Lamy Safari takes carts. 

lamy cartridges and ink in general run very dry too, i prefer a more wet ink such as private reserve

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #1,342 of 2,804
Quote:
wargh? every pen needs refilling, the safari can take standard cartridges (pop it out, pop it in n you're ready to go) or a removable piston filler (dip nib in bottle and twist and you're ready to go)

I could be wrong as I've only ever used converters with Lamys (plus my L2000), but I don't think they use "standard" cartridges.  I think Lamy has their own proprietary design.

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #1,343 of 2,804

Quote:
Quote:

I could be wrong as I've only ever used converters with Lamys (plus my L2000), but I don't think they use "standard" cartridges.  I think Lamy has their own proprietary design.

I'm positive my safari has a non-standard cartridge. I know when I went to buy refills that the standard refill cartridge looked to be slightly different in size than the actual Lamy brand one's for fountain pens. Pretty sure leftnose is right that Lamy has it's own design for these and that unless you get a converter so you can fill from bottle ink you need to be using the Lamy brand refills.

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #1,344 of 2,804

Quote:
I hate cartridges. More expensive, less option. But yeah, the Lamy Safari takes carts. 

Ya, i like having to press a button and boom!

Sep 2, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #1,349 of 2,804
Lamy 2000 and the Studio are totally different.  The Studio uses the same nib and feed system as the Safari and most other Lamy pens.  The 2000 is a much older design and is piston feed only.  The nibs tend be bit a bit stiff as they are hooded and they tend to run a bit wide, especially the XF but they are outstanding pens.  I've said it on here before: pens get a lot more expensive than the 2000 but they don't get any better, only prettier.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #1,350 of 2,804
I understand that but I was just talking about aesthetics. I don't want two FP's that come from the same design family. XD
I have read that the Sailor Sapporo is about as smooth as it gets in that price. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back