Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Sep 20, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #946 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so I just got my first fountain pen a few days ago and I noticed that sometimes the ink won't flow very evenly and I'll have to go over lines more then once, if I unscrew it and twist the converter down a bit to force some ink through it it seems to solve the problem. Is this normal?

Is it and air bubble that's the problem?
With my fountain pen I sometimes get air bubble that form where the ink flows out.
Instead of having to twist the converter down, I realized just flicking the side of my pen (not so hard you do damage), works a treat. Get s a bubble out every time.

Even if you don't have air bubbles, when I get inflow problems just flicking the side of the pen a bit clears up any problems I've had.

Sep 20, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #947 of 2,804
Quote:

so I just got my first fountain pen a few days ago and I noticed that sometimes the ink won't flow very evenly and I'll have to go over lines more then once, if I unscrew it and twist the converter down a bit to force some ink through it it seems to solve the problem. Is this normal?

What kind of ink are you using? Some inks are notorious for flowing poorly. Get a bottle of Waterman Florida Blue or Waterman Blue Black. Those are about the safest most consistent inks you can get and will be a good indicator if the pen is the problem or the ink.

Also, asking delicately, are you sure you're holding the pen properly? Here's a pretty good article on how to hold a fountain pen:

RichardsPens.com • Fountain Pens by Richard Binder

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #949 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmm. I'm not familiar with that pen. Here's a completely different suggestion. Why not try one of the Pilont Varsity disposables? They are extremely inexpensive -- I've paid anywhere from $3.50 to $5.00 for them, and they have a very soft nib that flows easily. I'm not suggesting that this is the pen you should end up with, but it might give you an idea of what fountain pen use is like without the skipping problem that you have been having.

They are somewhat hard to find in local shops, but some of the office superstores carry them. They actually are refillable, BTW. You just use a pliers to gently pull out the whole nib unit, like a cork, and then use an eye-dropper to refill the tank.

I had a hard time finding the varsity and I'm not really put off by the fact that I have to play with it a little every so often to get it working. I also don't know how fast the ink in that pen dries.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of ink are you using? Some inks are notorious for flowing poorly. Get a bottle of Waterman Florida Blue or Waterman Blue Black. Those are about the safest most consistent inks you can get and will be a good indicator if the pen is the problem or the ink.

Also, asking delicately, are you sure you're holding the pen properly? Here's a pretty good article on how to hold a fountain pen:

RichardsPens.com • Fountain Pens by Richard Binder

I'm using noodler's because I'm left handed and it dries really quickly. Thanks for the link!

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #950 of 2,804
Quote:

I'm using noodler's because I'm left handed and it dries really quickly. Thanks for the link!

Ooh, which Noodler's? Some of them can be very tempermental (El Lawrence comes to mind). If you have a quick drying ink, that could well be causing your flow issues.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #951 of 2,804
Quote:

Ooh, which Noodler's? Some of them can be very tempermental (El Lawrence comes to mind). If you have a quick drying ink, that could well be causing your flow issues.

I'm not sure, it just says noodler's

8beb8d02.jpg

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #952 of 2,804
With Noodler's, normally the name of the color is stamped on the top of the box but it can wear away.

At this point, I'm just kind of curious about the ink. It has an interesting label. I wasn't aware that Noodler's had any exclusive Taiwanese inks (there's a line exclusive to Singapore, another for Australia, and several US stores have exclusive colors).

What color is that ink? Where did you buy it?

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #953 of 2,804
the color name is air-corp blue black

also I got another pen ^^, a super cheap ebay pen but still pretty and I like how it writes. I did only use it for about 5 minutes though.... the converter is smaller then my other pen
frown.gif

438d564a.jpg

edit: after some more playing around I realized that any amount of pressure I put on this pen causes it to lay down a really thick layer of ink... which is nice because I'm use to gripping pens pretty hard which eventually makes my hand hurt, maybe this pen will fix that.

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #954 of 2,804
Oct 1, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #955 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is next on my list;

LA074.jpg

Looks like they've one-upped Namiki on several fronts at once.

Nice! Something like that could make me interested in a modern pen again. I've gone completely vintage, and rarely buy anything made after 1940 these days. However, there should be some of these at the NYC Pen Show next week. I'll have to take a look.

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #956 of 2,804
To me that Lamy has an issue shared with the Namiki VP: the pocket clip is in the wrong place (at least, I think that's a pocket clip on the Lamy).

lamy_dialog_3_safari_pink_fountain_pen.jpg

That's right where many (most?) people put their finger and it must get uncomfortable.

I realize that the clip has to be at the same end as the nib so the pen is oriented properly in the pocket so ink doesn't leak out. However, couldn't they rotate it by 180 degrees so it's out of the way of a normal grip?

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #957 of 2,804
Quote:

To me that Lamy has an issue shared with the Namiki VP: the pocket clip is in the wrong place (at least, I think that's a pocket clip on the Lamy).

lamy_dialog_3_safari_pink_fountain_pen.jpg

That's right where many (most?) people put their finger and it must get uncomfortable.

I realize that the clip has to be at the same end as the nib so the pen is oriented properly in the pocket so ink doesn't leak out. However, couldn't they rotate it by 180 degrees so it's out of the way of a normal grip?

First of all, the pocket clip does retract when you extend the nib to write, and secondly, if the "bump" were rotated 180 degrees, then it would rest directly upon your supporting finger and that would get old reeeeeely fast.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #958 of 2,804
Not to ask a naive question, but does a fountain pen like that write that much better than a ballpoint? I would love something that makes me look forward to writing again. My planner looks like a 3 yr old owns it.

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #959 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to ask a naive question, but does a fountain pen like that write that much better than a ballpoint? I would love something that makes me look forward to writing again. My planner looks like a 3 yr old owns it.

Impossible to tell until you hold it in YOUR own hand and write.

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #960 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, the pocket clip does retract when you extend the nib to write, and secondly, if the "bump" were rotated 180 degrees, then it would rest directly upon your supporting finger and that would get old reeeeeely fast.

Are you talking about the Namiki or the Lamy having a retractable clip? That photo of the Lamy shows that there still is a bump when the nib is extended.

I just did a bit of testing using my Lamy 2000 and you're right that if it were rotated 180 degrees it would contact the middle finger but there is a spot there between the middle finger and the thumb where it would fit nicely. Of course, this would mean there would have to be left and right handed pens or someway of rotating the nib within the body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back