Pearls of audiophilia: Ridiculous, Funny Events tha happened in your Audiophile Life!
Jul 7, 2011 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

khaos974

Headphoneus Supremus
Here's the type of thing I am talking about:

It happened several years ago, since then I've wizened up a bit and learnt to read vendors :D

It's happens in your typical hifi vendor's shop, I'm a new comer looking for a little gear to listen to music with a *good* quality. I'm looking around the shop to see the kind of hardware he has, some of it is very expensive, some not so much.

He approaches me, asks me several questions about my room, what type of music I listen too, what type of sound sig I like... very sensible questions while he's tweaking a more expensive high end system which is quite impressive ($3/40.000 ?), he seems like a honest guy.

Then comes the inevitable question "your budget?" Around "$1500-$2000", I answer.
"Excellent, I have some little thing that can start making *real* music at this price point, how about this...?" and he starts showing me stuff.

An acquaintance of mine relates the same experience with the same vendor with double my budget :p

Since then, I've received several variants of the same speech with very different price points, it seems that the price point where gear can make *real* music always coincide with what the customer is ready to spend + 10% :D :D

So any other funny experiences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back